Tynwald Questions 30/11/04

Ripsaw

Nothing listed in the "Questions" list, but they can be viewed in the

* Order Papers * (.pdf)

Not really a great deal this week... VAT on Band Aid 2004, the Linkspan User Agreement, and ermmmm....

Q6 is one of the more exciting [sic] ones which applies to anyone (myself included) who "opted out of SERPs".

6. The Hon Member for Middle (Mr Quayle) to ask the Minister for Health and Social Security -

(1) In relation to the State Earnings Related Pension Scheme (SERPS), and those people who have “contracted out” of this scheme, and have been receiving a rebate of National Insurance Contributions paid into their individual private pension schemes, are you aware of recent concerns expressed, and advice from pension firms such as Norwich Union, that apparently they strongly recommend people to rejoin the SERPS Scheme; and

(2) as a result of concerns expressed and current uncertainty, what action will be taken by your Department?

I got one of these from Norwich Union. It's something that I mean to look into quite soon.

Anybody else got any more info?

Stav.

We're just signing back into SERPS, or State Second Pension as it's now called. We received the letter from Norwich Union last week and spoke to our insurance / pension brokers and they reckon we'd be better going back in. Of course, it could all change again if a few more years.

It's not just a ploy for the CFA to earn commission second time around then?

Must read the rest of the literature that NU sent, does it clarify why people should opt back in? I didn't see anything. (Admits that I only scanned it before putting it in my "To Do" pile) Which obviously still hasn't been done!

Stav.

It's not just a ploy for the CFA to earn commission second time around then?

The two blue boxes on page 3 weigh up the risks of staying contracted out or going back in

I reckon it depends on whether you think the markets are going to perform better in the future than they have in the past few years. If you think they aren't then get back in, if you think they will then stay contracted out.

Of course, that's just my personal opinion and shouldn't be taken as financial / pension advice.

Has anyone got a Independent Financial Advisor? If so, who are they and how do you rate them?

The first couple of questions are very interesting.  Ned is currently struggling to explain away the MEA scandal, and not doing too well.

I have speakers and access to the feed, unfortunatley I don't work alone and others in the room object to any noise other than their own voices, so I always miss anything before 12:00 :angry:

The first couple of questions are very interesting.  Ned is currently struggling to explain away the MEA scandal, and not doing too well.

Ned has Jumped in to defend Allan Bell again, much to the dislike of the rest of Tynwald. Its my opinion that the leadership has lost it and that a vote of no confidence should be made on the CM and TM.

They have known about this borrowing for some time but chose to keep quiet, and Mrs Hannan has just asked the question which bank put up the loan and was there any connection between a member of the board of the MEA and the Bank, the CM answered the first part in saying it was Barclays Bank but refused to answer the second part of the question. It was also asked why wont the Government insist on finding out the salary of the CE of the MEA (rumoured to be £250k pa ) and what was the sum of the Golden handshake and pension, again would not give the answer. These questions should be answered, the taxpayer is liable for the repayment of these loans, so we should know how are money is being spent.

Another cover up on the way me feels

Re MEA, quote from Manx Radio's website here

The Chief Minister says an external body of auditors will carry out a check on MEA finances.

It will be done, he promised members, in a "speedy manner."

The financial revelations at the MEA dominated the House of Keys proceedings this morning as members voted to postpone questions and hear a statement from the Chief Minister.

After some toing and froing over whether a statement should be read and why a statement hadn't been forthcoming before, Richard Corkill said talks had been going on with some urgency for the last few weeks when the situation over the loan, unapproved by the Treasury its seems, came to light.

He also said that the Treasury Minister had been asked very direct questions on Manx Radio and it would have been wrong of him not to answer them.

This tight questioning on Manx Radio, that forced this isue into public, was touched upon by Mr Bell

It had been claimed that rumours of the financial situation at the MEA had been known " in the corridors" for some weeks.

Mr Cannan asked why the Chief Minister did not make a statement earlier.

(Dave the Cardboard Box @ Nov 30 2004, 11:33 AM)

but a classic comment he made was to the effect that "it was unfortunate that it had become public knowledge"

Unfortunate, rofl

It's really getting beyond a joke now somethings got to give sooner or later with this lot. Sooner being the preferred option.

Archived