[BBC News] Man, 46, injured in street attack

Newsbot

Don't think it's relevant really, this kind of thing almost always happens around pubs, at pub throwing out time too. It's booze, not roids.

True, but I think the point being made is basically that booze + roids = more likeliness of battering than just booze, therefore if there's a big increase in the amount of steroids getting used then the likeliness of copping a hiding for no reason potentially increases.

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Bouncers on pub doors.

Another reason why pubs are losing trade*

There's something wrong when you go to a pub and you see everyone entering the place getting growled and stared at by the usual big fat guy in a black puffa jacket then yeah, I'd rather stay at home with a few cans. Even Bushy's pub has bouncers at the weekend.

*it could be argued that in fact it is the drunken shit arseholes that are losing pub trade as without them you wouldn't need bouncers in the first place. Sometimes though, I wonder if the bouncers were they themselves drunken shit arseholes in their own anguished earlier lives. What sort of person says "I want to be a bouncer when I grow up?".

That's cause and effect though, not chicken and egg. There's no doubt which came first.

Steroids are why bouncers have short fuses. Aggressive drunk teens thinking they have something prove is a different thing entirely.

That's it really. You see these feral kids staggering and heckling passers by on a Sat night in the early hours and they don't look like they've seen the inside of a gym, never mind started hitting steroids. We're talking about two different groups of people.

True, but I think the point being made is basically that booze + roids = more likeliness of battering than just booze, therefore if there's a big increase in the amount of steroids getting used then the likeliness of copping a hiding for no reason potentially increases.

Yep - and work on all fronts. Roids are only one part of a strategy - but still worthwhile (it only take one or two 'flipped' hyper-aggressive roiders in IoM to be ugly, and makes this an issue worth tackling).

Roids+alcohol in teens might not also increase likeliness of an attack - it might also make any assault a lot more aggressive and violent than it would be otherwise. I bet the roiding teens in Merseyside don't look like they've been to a gym either - just acne and tough-guy aggression. BTW alcohol+amphetamines can also be a cocktail for hyper-aggression.

Alcohol is also a big one just by itself. But it is also alcohol+group/gang which sets it off.

As well as more Police on the streets, there's dozens things that could be done about this. Lots more. If it's such a big problem why is it being allowed to persist? Why not tackle it effectively? There's the means to - so is it the political will that's lacking, or simply inability to know what to do?

Archived