[BBC News] MHK support for homeowner grants

Newsbot

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

offtopic already: I remember when trying to buy our house, we were first time buyers. I am Manx, resident... the whole shi-bang! My wife is not from the Isle of Man (and here less than 5 years). They rejected our application for first-time buyers grant on the basis of my wife. That was contrary to the rules of the grant.... but anyway.

on topic: Hope this particular grant is easier to obtain.

Newsbot is getting little better than spam.

No sooner is Shimbo on Manx Radio giving a speil about these grants then the BBC reporters on the Isle of Man decide to write something about it.

The item was reported on Manx Radio website 2 days ago.

Manx Radio News Item 5th April 2008

We are being conned by the BBC. "We give you old news and you give a few £million a year."

The BBC reporters on the Island need to be thankful that manxforums allow their feeds otherwise I am sure it would be really depressing getting next to no hits per day for their *ahem* news.

The BBC reporters really must be getting stuck for things to do.

No offence meant to the reporters as such, nice work if you can get it.

BBC: "To shut you fucking* whinging Manx barstards* up, we take about £5million quid off ya a year and in return we'll give you a couple of reporters to report stuff about you on our website".

A Bargain.

*apologies for the swear words, but they are for authenticity. I am led to reliably believe that all manner of swear words are commonplace at the BBC, at all levels. In fact it is almost obligatory if you want to get on.

Homeowners are urged to apply for home improvement grants by Douglas MHK John Shimmin.

Source : http://news.bbc.co.uk/go/rss/-/1/hi/world/...man/7334439.stm

http://www.gov.im/dlge/housing/homegrants.xml

"You and your spouse must have a taxable income of less than £15,000 per annum"

Oh except for loft insulation and a few other bits, but then you have to spend at least a grand to qualify, but then the max amount is £250. Bonkers.

I've spent a lot on my place, and am continuing to spend and haven't qualified for bugger all except £250 towards a £5,000 heating system. Useless, no wonder they've money left over.

Is that combined? If so how the hell can anyone who qualifies even be able to get a mortgage to buy the house in the first place?

Is that combined? If so how the hell can anyone who qualifies even be able to get a mortgage to buy the house in the first place?

It's for rich people who have their tax affairs so well planned that they have less that £15K taxable income.

(The guy in picture looks a bit like Beep - Beep.)

Homeowners are urged to apply for home improvement grants by Douglas MHK John Shimmin.

Source : http://news.bbc.co.uk/go/rss/-/1/hi/world/...man/7334439.stm

It's a load of b***ocks!! My 83 year old mum tried to get a loan for home improvements and was turned down because she had moved out of the property untill she had some of the renovations done. Her income was less than 15,000 and she had moved out because of damp and urgent work required. They were slow to reply and quite rude and had no sympathy for her situation whatsoever telling her to sell the house!! w**kers!!

This government should be ashamed of themselves in how they treat their elderly folk, the civil servent in charge of the grants process clearly has ebeneezer qualities. Thats why the money has not been claimed Mr Shimmin!! look at your department!!

It's a load of b***ocks!! My 83 year old mum tried to get a loan for home improvements and was turned down because she had moved out of the property untill she had some of the renovations done. Her income was less than 15,000 and she had moved out because of damp and urgent work required. They were slow to reply and quite rude and had no sympathy for her situation whatsoever telling her to sell the house!! w**kers!!

This government should be ashamed of themselves in how they treat their elderly folk, the civil servent in charge of the grants process clearly has ebeneezer qualities. Thats why the money has not been claimed Mr Shimmin!! look at your department!!

That could possibly be a simple case of sound economics, if a little harsh. Lending someone of that age money is obviously inherently risky. After all, at 83 years old the government could end up just subsidising the improvement of your imminent inheritance, and it's just possible that you earn considerably more than 15k per annum.

That could possibly be a simple case of sound economics, if a little harsh.

That logic is why they get away with letting anything up to UK 50,000 pensioners die as a result of cold weather each year in the UK.

Who's 'they?' The nanny-statists you so often bemoan? The quality of the housing stock isn't the Government's fault.

I do not think the current grant system is inherently bad, and achieving a balance with it is extremely difficult. If grants are too easy to get, then you risk neglected those in the most need in favour of hobby environmentalists who want some solar panels.

Hard to comment of mabel's mum's experience, as the information sheet does not specify that you MUST be currently occupying the building in question.

If grants are too easy to get, then you risk neglected those in the most need in favour of hobby environmentalists who want some solar panels.

The frutstration comes though, when they say you need to comply with 'A B & C conditions'... you do... and they still say "no".

Whilst it should not be too easy, it should at least be fair to the conditions they themselves impose and consistent to it.

Archived