Still down at 1030pm so I rang - I was kept hanging on for good 5 minutes to be told that "they are working on it" but unsure as to when it will be up and running "could ring you back but it will be tomorrow sometime". - which is as much use as a chocolate fire-guard. The rhetoric of using local services keeps local people in jobs is wearing a bit thin when they have the cheek to offer such a poor service at premium rates. The MD should hang his head in shame but I hear he is too busy placating IOM Govt over the dual data centre "problem".

Wow - one infected machine brings the whole show to a halt? Either the service is shite or MR have misreported it. What's Option 1 when you ring 624624? Switch to another email provider?

*cough* Gmail!

Seriously, someone give me one good reason not to use Gmail.

(Or at least, one even vaguely credible reason why manx.net mail is better and/or preferable to Gmail.)

Sounds to me like another reason that "experts" like us should be promoting the use of up to date and effective AntiVirus software, whoever owns the machine(s) that are responsible should know better - it's not like there aren't free solutions out there if you're that cheap ;)

Seriously, someone give me one good reason not to use Gmail.

(Or at least, one even vaguely credible reason why manx.net mail is better and/or preferable to Gmail.)

I've always worried about using a domain for mail that you have no control over. Gmail (and manx.net) could remove their service at any time, boot you from it, change domains, any of that stuff, and you're left high and dry. Gmail is good, but I'd only use it for recieving forwarded mail from my own domain.

One possible benefit of manx.net over gmail is security through obscurety. Gmail is targetted for attack, and they're captcha systems recently been hacked making gmail blacklisted on a lot of servers now because of the spam coming from gmail addresses. You're less likely to get that with a smaller service like manx.net

Still, gmail does rule, it's got shitloads of space, one of the best virus and spam filters in the world and the webmail is simply uber.

Back to manx.net mail, a whole system down from one user? It's believable, but why'd it take so long to fix? A volume of mail large enough to fek up your server should be easy to trace, and to ban.

Archived