[BBC News] Rock band Athlete announce TT gig

Newsbot

You can't win - uproar when Status Quo was announced because they don't appeal to anyone under 40 (allegedly) and now uproar from people (presumably aged older than 40) because they've never heard of Athlete.

Not my cup of Cha but may well go down well with the TT crowd. For all the up roar about Staus Quo they have sold out so they must be popular with some. I also think Toseland playing with his band will be popular and was a good idea to sign up.

Various members of this board collect festival tickets like others collect beer mats or stamps. (I have a theory that true appreciation of the sonic arts is not THE driving force for this. In fact, I do wonder if these people would recognise a parallel fifth if it hit them in the face, lol, lol..... ; )). Has anyone else noticed how these very same members are the most vociferously scathing about bands, irrespective of the group's level of success? One might even say the self proclaimed music lovers of the board are actually THE HATERS. lol..................

Why does everyone keep harping on about the bikers? Chancers are there'll be hardly any bikers at 'the Quo' or the Athlete one because how/when are they going to buy any of the tickets that get sold over here? Unless they hold some back especially with the bikers in mind and I'd be surprised if anyone had that bright idea.

There are 80k other people on the island y'know....the bikers are here for the racing, I doubt knowing Francis and his bums boys are here is enough to sway them to come if they weren't already.

There are 80k other people on the island y'know....the bikers are here for the racing, I doubt knowing Francis and his bums boys are here is enough to sway them to come if they weren't already.

No it probably will not sway them to come but if they enjoy the entertainment that is put on outside the racing, wether it be ride outs, Status Quo or just having a bere they are more likely to enjoy their holiday here and maybe come back or recommend it to others.

Yes many may not want to see Status Quo and have similar views to you of them, many might and won't be able to get tickets as it is sold out but there are some reading the TT bikers forums that are quite looking forward to watching Status Quo and have already booked tickets on line. There does seem to be a fairly active bikers community out there with regards to the TT and they do not just wait until they turn up to see what is on over the period

Athlete have some pretty good songs (chances, half light, wires etc) and I am pretty fookin happy to hear they have been booked. Wont be at all surprised if they sell out as quickly as KT Tunstall.

Feared the worst when I heard the Quo was the first big (!) name booked for the villa but the two gigs above provide something for those of us not old/hairy/deaf/sad/denim clad enough to appreciate Les Battersbys favourite rock group !

When they say tickets will be available from Saturday does anyone know what time they will be available online from ? Is it midnight or more likely 9am ?

Cheers

Archived