Rates Demand

Minxie

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just had my Water Rates and Douglas Borough Council Rates demands through. Is it my imagination or do they seem to have gone up an awful lot this year :o

What do you expect when it's all run by an awful lot. By the way, there was a lottery and you got to pay for the seagull statue - sorry.

BTW I'm in upper Douglas - I expect we pay a high rate for water and my bill was £229.70 for water - what are you doing Mutley, leaving the taps open 24/7 to achieve some soothing feng shui water feature?

The rest of my rates were £373 for all the other bollox I pay for.

I am also in upper Douglas and my water rates were about £400 (I have one bathroom, and two toilets in the house) and my Borough of Douglas rates were about £670 (amount before the date discount).

My water was £240ish and my corpy rates were 370ish I think. Middle Douglas I guess, near the Rosemount.

£670 for your corpy rates seems hideously expensive. That's nearly a grand in total for both.

Edit: Err, over a grand, not nearly a grand. Christ.

Could be a typo - I'd get on the phone.

I did and it wasn't :( She said that town houses that are made of stone are a lot different (ie cheaper). I also checked with a neighbour and theirs is the same as mine.

Eh, where's the logic in that?

I wondered that as well.

It means you can take out hardbacked books out the library, are entitled to a key to visit Hutchinson Square gardens after lock up, to dump more crap into local litter bins, and go into the secret fast-service queue when down at the corpy.

Never put logic and government in the same sentence.

My water was £240ish and my corpy rates were 370ish I think. Middle Douglas I guess, near the Rosemount.

£670 for your corpy rates seems hideously expensive. That's nearly a grand in total for both.

Edit: Err, over a grand, not nearly a grand. Christ.

Im not far from where Ans lives, so maybe it is Middle Douglas and the figures do look comparable.

I don't understand the type of building material scenario - sounds a bit of a daft way to work out rates. My house is a brick terrace house if that helps at all. Don't know if detached or semi makes a difference?

I got a shock this week when I got my rates bills.

I'm at the top of Farmhill and the house rates came out at £463 and the water rates is £285 before discounts = £750 for a 3 bed semi (ouch!)

There should be discounts for sole occupiers.

We get off lightly compared to the UK though.

Archived