Rates Demand

Minxie

Those in power on overpaid high salaries will never be inclined to change the system - as sure as Turkeys will never vote for Christmas.

However - the rates are cheap here when compared to what people have to pay in the UK, so people tend to bear it more easily here. For example, it's kerrchinng time for someone whose moved to the island from the UK where Council tax is of the order of £1200 or more, plus of course they end up paying less income tax here - thus already feeling massive financial benefits. I think in general terms, people just don't understand the system here enough, or can't be arsed enough to argue that things could be done even cheaper through less beaurocracy - because they feel there's relatively little in it for them to get so worked up about it. People from the UK feel comfortable with David Christian blabbering on about seagulls, dog shit and fag ends etc. - and not the latest teenager knifed the night before.

No doubt if politicians did change the system here they'd probably insist on an easily adopted 'cut and paste' UK council tax model. Personally I'd like to see income tax reflect all expenditure, as well as see a major simplification of the political structure. I think there is the potential to save millions upon millions if it was all assessed properly - including a full assessment of government offices.

Ratepayer candidates often tend to be effective in the UK if finance is not being handled properly in a borough - but going by the lack of candidates that have come forward for recent elections, those in power are once again protected by the impenetrable ring of apathy we have provided for them for yet another term. After all the promises made at the last general election, I can't see that anything has really changed since then. It's like some strange twighlight-zone, or fantasy-island attitude politicians demonstrate here - as though the electorate isn't actually here until election time.

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Swings and roundabouts really though isn't it?

T&B might be paying more tax/rates wise but she's got an awful lot more going on socially in her neighbourhood than I have in Ramsey.

That said, I'd still rather be living here than there. :)

I am being stung for £925 Borough rates plus £569 water rates in Upper Douglas - and I haven't even seen a coucillor for years anywhere near my street.

What do these people earn - I believe it is £30 per meeting but it appears some are salaried as well?

I am being stung for £925 Borough rates plus £569 water rates in Upper Douglas - and I haven't even seen a coucillor for years anywhere near my street.

Ouch, and I thought mine were bad!!!

What do these people earn - I believe it is £30 per meeting but it appears some are salaried as well?

Charles, on behalf of all of us who live out of Douglas, but use the NSC regularly: Thanks mate!

Swings and roundabouts really though isn't it?

T&B might be paying more tax/rates wise but she's got an awful lot more going on socially in her neighbourhood than I have in Ramsey.

That said, I'd still rather be living here than there. :)

Don't mention roundabouts! You'll give them ideas....

I'm being stung for over £1300 in total (Charles you must have a nice house!) which feels pretty brutal (I am in Douglas). I do resent money being spent on seagull statues (and to some extent the horsetrams) but the bin collection is quite good (my wife only used to have hers emptied fortnightly in Shropshire)

I suppose it's important to have a facility such as a golf course available to the public - but there are 8 other courses on the island (including Pt St Mary). All privately run businesses that have to compete with Douglas, and they all do it on about 10% of the investment and man power that go into running Douglas.

We'd get by alright without Douglas golf course, and I don't think non-golfers realise just how extravagent the corporation are keeping it going. Sometimes there are a dozen plus corporation staff working as greenkeepers (because they can't find anything else for them to do). The other courses get by on two or three. They waste our money.

I've always wondered why rates are linked to properties at all. So you have three toilets, you still only have one arse. Should be per head, not per house.

Wasn't that what the poll tax was based on? (I'd like it as I live on my own in a massive house in Douglas)

I think with properties the assumption is, bigger houses are owned by wealthier people. Generally true (except in my case).

Surely rates should be linked to how much you earn and the square footage (meterage?) of your house. Given the size of the island it makes sense that everyone pays a share of the facilities. I don't live in Douglas but I do use the NSC etc... There should be a way you can score what your priorities are for the rates - thus if you think that the horse trams are a waste of your rates then you would give that a low score relative to the other things on the list. That would be a clear and democratic way of allocating funds.

I think with properties the assumption is, bigger houses are owned by wealthier people. Generally true (except in my case).

Which is out of date. A two penthouse flat on onchan head is going to be occupied by someone with more dosh than a 3 bed semi.

Which is out of date. A two penthouse flat on onchan head is going to be occupied by someone with more dosh than a 3 bed semi.

Like I said, it's a generalisation. There are always examples which don't fit in with it.

Archived