[BBC News] Stadium planned for sports ground

Newsbot

The redevelopment of a Douglas sports ground could make it a "national stadium", a council leader says.

Source : http://news.bbc.co.uk/go/rss/-/1/hi/world/...man/7339713.stm

So it'll cost only £2.5m to transform the Bowl and put up huge big screen TV's to make it suitable for big concerts etc when it cost £1m to rebuild the clubhouse at Pully. Dream on counsillor. Dream on.

So it'll cost only £2.5m to transform the Bowl and put up huge big screen TV's to make it suitable for big concerts etc when it cost £1m to rebuild the clubhouse at Pully. Dream on counsillor. Dream on.

It sounded a bit like that's what he was saying, but it's not that clear:

"Mr Christian said a scheme to upgrade the venue for both concerts, shows and sports events would be likely to cost about £2.5m."

This is the cost of the 'scheme' - which could just mean the cost of the plan to do it - i.e. architects, consultations, permissions, resource management studies, economic analysis, selection of the big TV and so on.

Then it might cost £100M to actually build it.

It does sound like electioneering.

we'll have the olympics in 2040 at this rate??

Thats going to need one massive home stay campaign and I am sure the steam racket would love being able to charge £200 each way and use ex vietnamese boat people cargo ships to ferry people across

To be fair, he did say that it wasn't possible for the corpy to do it unaided and IMO, it would be something worthwhile to spend a bit of govt cash on. Also, of course, he did say ""We would also hope to partner with organisations such as the Isle of Man Football Association and the Isle of Man Sports Council, and also with the private sector."

Sometimes, on these forums, the merit of an idea appears to be decided by whose idea it is rather than any worthwhile evaluation.

It does sound like electioneering.

Does he need to do any electioneering as he's already in for a further term?

He's is for a further term.

Some people don't need an excuse to get their voices continually heard on Manx Radio or some spouting reported in the papers. Let alone whether it is something newsworthy or even relevant or topical.

A National Stadium might be nice even if it is a refurbished Bowl but who would use it that the Bowl can not currently accomodate.

Football already use it but it would seem that the capacity as it stands is already far in excess of any football crowd that I have seen there, be it the IoM games, local cup finals, the old Steam packet events. Hockey will not as they much prefer astroturf and the pitch is not really big enough for rugby. I think the rugby clubs also prefer to play at their own grounds and keep the money over their bars.

I presume it could already be used for events but generally is not already. The Peel Festival showed that we struggled to get crowds of more than a few thousand even with "big" names and held in side. What are the chances if it is outside, although being in Douglas it might help.

If you are only going to get 2/3 thousand you might as well hold in the the Villa Marina as whilst it is a slightly smaller venue, I am not sure what it holds when standing, you have no costs for hiring in setting up a stage and other all related infrastructure.

To me the Bowl does need renovating both on and off the pitch but this just seems to be a way of the Corporation trying to get somebody else to do and pay for the work. I struggle to see if once it is done that the use of the bowl will really change.

Archived