She's Just So Two Faced.

manx-minx

I watched a programme a while ago about the little girl, also born in India, who had eight limbs. Although a lot of the villagers thought that she was the human form of the god Lakshmi, her parents still went ahead with an operation to remove the spare limbs because they wanted her to have a normal life.

Not really sure what they could do for the little one with two faces though, I don't see how you could kind of remove one.

Feelslikeitshould has nailed it. The CT Scan could see if there are any current or potentional problems which would be a health risk. This could include feeding or breathing problems to issue with skeletal growth and the impact that may have on surrounding structures.

I dislike those kind of programmes and choose not to watch them, so perhaps my criticism is unfair - that said, the trailers and the like strike me as being the tv version of a circus freak show. Sure, they are given under the gloss of 'human interest' sympathy etc. and some very shallow and limited informational value, but really it seems to be just catering to a voyeuristic fascination with a gloss of legitimacy to make the punters feel it's ok to gawp. What next - the 'Medical Marvels roadshow'?

The Indian goddess story is admittedly different - and IMO a valid story if an item in India. However 'Half man half tree', 'the Elephant man' etc. seems to me like the hawking of a freak show. Just my personal view - I find it repugnant.

but really it seems to be just catering to a voyeuristic fascination with a gloss of legitimacy to make the punters feel it's ok to gawp. What next - the 'Medical Marvels roadshow'?

Channel 4's Bodyshock series is already pretty close. The titles themselves ("The Man Who Ate His Lover", "The Curse of the Mermaid", "The Boy Who Gave Birth to His Twin", "The 80 Year Old Children") sound like they could have originated from the pen of P. T. Barnum. Sure, they make certain to stress that they discuss medical and other issues, but the tone is unmistakably that of the freakshow.

but really it seems to be just catering to a voyeuristic fascination with a gloss of legitimacy to make the punters feel it's ok to gawp. What next - the 'Medical Marvels roadshow'?

Channel 4's Bodyshock series is already pretty close. The titles themselves ("The Man Who Ate His Lover", "The Curse of the Mermaid", "The Boy Who Gave Birth to His Twin", "The 80 Year Old Children") sound like they could have originated from the pen of P. T. Barnum. Sure, they make certain to stress that they discuss medical and other issues, but the tone is unmistakably that of the freakshow.

I read that Channel 4's Bodyshock "I am the Elephant Man" got 16.3% of the audience - 3.5 million viewers.

Archived