Wii Connectivity Problem Via Component & Hdmi

Cret

Have just got a Wii again but I cannot currently get it to output correctly via HDMI through, either that or the telly is refusing to accept the format for some reason.

I'm using a pioneer VSX2016 amp (which happily takes a component input signal and chucks it out through the HDMI cable and seems to improve the picture quality), and the Wii has a component cable to the amp, then amp has an HDMI cable to the telly (samsung PS50something plasma).

Here's a rudimentary diagram of the setup:

Setup.jpg

Now the other items plugged into the amp output just fine so I'm not sure why the Wii isn't.

One is the PS3 which is hooked up to the amp via HDMI, and the other is a DVD/HDD player hooked up to the amp via component.

Now both of these come through the HDMI output and display fine on the telly, but when I try with the Wii, the telly displays "Mode not supported".

Any idea how I get round this as I really would like to play Mariokart properly with decent sound instead of having to pipe it directly into the telly by composite and having HDMI switched off!

Many thanks!!

try plugging the wii directly into the tv via component, then going into the settings, there are some display settings in there (wether or not to use 480p & some others IIRC) ?

Yep - just been discussing with Nathan Wind. He seems to think the Wii 'knows' what cable is plugged in, so if I do component direct into tv to allow the correct output setting to be selected, then swap the cable back into the amp instead of the telly it might work.

Strange that it doesn't work as it is though.

Sorted it!

It appears that the Wii is indeed too clever for its own good and knows the cable you have got plugged in.

For some reason through the amp, component with the Wii will not display at 480i, so it wasn't visible on the screen and that in turn meant I couldn't select 480p on the Wii.

With the component cable plugged direct into the telly, it displayed just fine on 480i and because I was using the component cable I could now select the HDTV/480p output option that was consequently enabled. After doing that, I switched the component cable from the telly to the amp and it now works fine. :)

No idea why it wouldn't work with the 480i signal through it all but it's sorted now. :)

It's because the new Nintendo want to appeal to the casual peasant market, who all still have wooden-veneer-effect CRT's and haven't heard of a component lead, let alone an AV reciever. See also, 'The Great Nintendo DS Wireless Security Settings Debacle', or TGNDSWSSD for short. Not REAL gamers like you and I.

Archived