Illegal Ashtrays

Grianane

If you look at the Stanley at nighttime it is impossible to go past on the pavement, it's full of smokers, as are most of the pubs in Ramsey at night. One curiosity is that the bouncers now have someone to grunt at when they are on station outside, but surely that is their workplace and as such should be non-smoking, a conundrum surely.

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply
If you look at the Stanley at nighttime it is impossible to go past on the pavement, it's full of smokers, as are most of the pubs in Ramsey at night. One curiosity is that the bouncers now have someone to grunt at when they are on station outside, but surely that is their workplace and as such should be non-smoking, a conundrum surely.

There's no conundrum - the act is about premises - not outside.

There's no conundrum - the act is about premises - not outside.

The act also covers outside if the owner of the premises does not take steps to prevent smokers who are using his business infringing the public highway whilst doing so

The act also covers outside if the owner of the premises does not take steps to prevent smokers who are using his business infringing the public highway whilst doing so

In terms of the act, I suspect that is wishful thinking on your part - though there may be other legislation covering impeding public highways. Your source please?

Ashist surely. I'm now off to see my MHK cause I can't use the pavements in the evening without my clothes and lungs being polluted by the exhaust emitted by the smokers outside the pubs. Its about time they put an additional tax on the price of cigarettes to fund street cleaning and pick up all the fags ends left around by the inconsiderate section of the populace who choose to indulge in this drug and thereby pollute the atmosphere and burden the rest of society with the addiitonal healthcare they need as their hearts and lungs give in. IMO smokers shouldn't get health care after 55 years.

Anyway I was expecting more of an outcry for calling the Central a sh*thole.

In terms of the act, I suspect that is wishful thinking on your part - though there may be other legislation covering impeding public highways. Your source please?

source- where I work, atm its being looked into that these ashtrays as they protrude from buildings need planning permission if so it would make most illegal, atm only the designation of an area needs such permission although any on a listed building need permission and the ones mentioned are being looked into and actioned atm.

My other source is HP mmm yummy :thumbsup:

source- where I work, atm its being looked into that these ashtrays as they protrude from buildings need planning permission if so it would make most illegal, atm only the designation of an area needs such permission although any on a listed building need permission and the ones mentioned are being looked into and actioned atm.

I think you'll find planning permission is only required to mount cigarette-bins on listed buildings. Either way, there's nothing stopping anyone putting a free standing bin outside their premises as long as it doesn't block the street or cause an obstruction.

This sounds like it's really about petty-minded grumpy clutching at straws to me.

I think you'll find planning permission is only required to mount cigarette-bins on listed buildings. Either way, there's nothing stopping anyone putting a free standing bin outside their premises as long as it doesn't block the street or cause an obstruction.

This sounds like it's really about petty-minded grumpy clutching at straws to me.

I shall obviously bow down to your extensive and learned knowledge of Manx planning regulations. the bounds of your far reaching font of wisdom extend far behond us pitiful mortals who deal with this stuff on a daily basis. May i humbly suggest you apply for the post of Lord Advocate as you seem to know more than anyone else about Manx laws. :whatever:

I shall obviously bow down to your extensive and learned knowledge of Manx planning regulations. the bounds of your far reaching font of wisdom extend far behond us pitiful mortals who deal with this stuff on a daily basis.

Fair enough - I was basing that on my UK experiences. It is a bit petty IMO if people have to go through any long winded planning process on the island just to stick a small bin on a wall, as I know the Manx planning process can drag into months and costs money and time to fill in numerous forms. I still stand by my free standing bin comments though.

In which case you would be wrong, there's plenty to stop people just putting bins out on the pavement. Health and safety for one and type approval for another. We won't even go into planning laws at this point (before you ask, local authority chair of planning and development services 1998-2003 in a metropolitan borough). As has been said the planning regs here are vastly different to England. The most striking is that an appeal against approval can be made whereas in England there is no such luxury, except maybe in the courts.

Sweet chirst in a sidecar!!!! The anti-smoking lobby finally get their way and ban smoking from indoor premises, and now you fucking arseholes are moaning about us smoking in the street (I know I am off topic here but reading a couple of the posts has raised the blood pressure slightly). Fuck sake folks, get a life, and let me get on with destroying MY own.

Oh, and on topic somewhat, trying to gain planning approval for a bin is a joke. What is it, something like 6-8 weeks for an application to go through? Then some fucktard complains and it's another 6-8 weeks of wasted time and wasted money. If the owners of these establishments want to put a bin outside they should be able to. People on the streets just need to open their eyes a little and look around every now and again, and when spotting a bin, take evasive action (like walking of the end of the nearest pier)!

They should have banned it outright, that'd give the non-smokers nothing to moan about and the smokers could be cool like the pill poppers and do it illegally like.

Yeah, sweet, ban it outright mofo's and make teh smokers cool as.

:)

I would go for the total ban. :o I loved smoking but, & I'm not joking, its rubbish (I am/was a die hard smoker - love/d it, but have stopped using tobacco forever) nicotine is properly evil, much worse than heroin or crack - I had no idea I was addicted to it & I know it did nothing for me, at least with other addictive drugs you 'get off your head'. Nicotine is much worse than cannabis and you can buy it in the sweet shop - WTF? Ban it, smoking tobacco is worse than taking heroin or crack. Loosers!

Archived