[BBC News] Pair held after double stabbing

Newsbot

• Replies 181
  • Created
  • Last Reply

only hing a can say bk 2 yoo its obv cause of yoor island. all the guys a run round vvith hav bn brought up b a single parent n vve all hav either dun jail or came close that doesnt make us bad people in alot of peoples cases its drink n drugs they like doin daft things like drivin drunk so they'll nick a car until theyr tired n g home 2 thre beds lol. everybodys young n daft at some point thres a select fevv hoo fal 2 grovv up n end up vvith the daft head on all there lifes n there the ones vvho end up spending 99percent of there lifes inside.

only hing a can say bk 2 yoo its obv cause of yoor island. all the guys a run round vvith hav bn brought up b a single parent n vve all hav either dun jail or came close that doesnt make us bad people in alot of peoples cases its drink n drugs they like doin daft things like drivin drunk so they'll nick a car until theyr tired n g home 2 thre beds lol. everybodys young n daft at some point thres a select fevv hoo fal 2 grovv up n end up vvith the daft head on all there lifes n there the ones vvho end up spending 99percent of there lifes inside.

what's that in english ? :P

lol am sorri about the dodgy spelling a like 2 shorten everything a type for quickness and plus my double u key on my laptop doesn't vvork so a hav 2 use 2 v's lol.

does anyone o my m8s chrisy and tony scottish lads and could nyone tell me if thre vvas a scottish man caught vvith a knife lst vveek vvho a believe is in jail over there also his names derek.

A MAN has appeared in court charged with wounding with intent to murder following an alleged double stabbing in Pulrose on Friday.

Self-employed window cleaner Christopher William Scatchard, 25, of no fixed abode, is charged with two counts of wounding with intent to murder, contrary to section 23 of the 1872 criminal code.

Unemployed Michelle McBurnie, 29, of Hazel Crescent, Pulrose, is charged with assisting an offender.

Both appeared before High Bailiff Michael Moyle today and were remanded in custody until April 29.

Mr Scatchard's advocate Stephen Wood made no application for bail on his client's behalf. Miss McBurnie's advocate Paul O'Neill made an application for bail but it was refused.

Christopher Crellin and Andrew Yewdall are alleged to have been attacked on Friday at a house in Oak Avenue, Lower Pulrose. One of the men is still in intensive care while the other has been released from Noble's Hospital, but police have not confirmed who is continuing to receive treatment

REMANDED lol a expected them 2 at least bail the girl yoor goverment n policing seems real strict.

There are posters on here who seem to think that Pulrose equates to Moss Side or whatever. It doesn't.

The vast majority of Pulrose residents are decent, honest, hard-working people - and I say this as someone who spent of the first forty years of his life living there, and as someone who's job involves picking up or taking home many of today's residents.

I certainly didn't want to give the impression that I thought the two were equivalent, or that everyone or even a sizable majority from Pulrose (or any of the other estates) can or should be lumped togother and blamed for crime, as this simply isn't my belief. I would say though that such communities do share certain similar problems, but on a much smaller scale and with less severity on the Island. This in fact is why I believe we should be looking at topics such as regeneration now (and not just limited the casual gesture of tarting up a few houses) - so that we can deal with them when they're still manageable and with any luck prevent future problems on a larger scale.

It's interesting you mention problems with people from Farmhill. I've always been suspicious about the thinking behind bulk housing situated on the outskirts of towns, be it a private estate or a social housing project. A lot of analysis of crime mentions the break down in social cohesion and community as a factor in rising crime, and I can't help but feel that purely residential zoning far from the commercial, retail and other facilities that usually form the hub of a community (and lying beyond the boundaries of regular policing) tends to contribute to this break down.

That is the beginning of what needs to be done although, as I'm sure Vinnie would agree, it has to be a very long term programme and one that is backed up by evryone - politicians, educators and the general public (who, to judge from some of the posts on this thread, need to get their heads out of their Daily Mails and start looking at a little education for themselves.

Definitely. In effect what we're looking at is a significant and total shift in social organization and the provision in services in an attempt to rebuild what sometimes resembles a fractured community. Unfortunately, current thinking still seems to favour lumping everyone together on the fringes, otherwise neglecting them bar tossing welfare their way and making the occasional arrest, and hoping that everything will turn out fine.

A demonstration of the fact that up to 75% of those who do go inside in IOM or UK, are functionally unable to read and write

Damn! I was going to suggest adding government health warnings on knives, including: 'stabbing may cause premature death', 'stabbing can cause a quick and painful death' and 'stabbing seriously harms you and others around you' etc. - but that idea now seems likely to be impractical.

A demonstration of the fact that up to 75% of those who do go inside in IOM or UK, are functionally unable to read and write

That's interesting especially from one who has dealings within the administration of justice on the island. If any one else had posted this I'd have argued against them, I know of at least 3 prison wardens who can read and write.

lol am sorri about the dodgy spelling a like 2 shorten everything a type for quickness and plus my double u key on my laptop doesn't vvork so a hav 2 use 2 v's lol.

does anyone o my m8s chrisy and tony scottish lads and could nyone tell me if thre vvas a scottish man caught vvith a knife lst vveek vvho a believe is in jail over there also his names derek.

Is that with rice or chips? For fucks sake with that standard of literacy and diction I would be surprised if even McDonalds or Shoprite would employ you. Another thing to remember is that here we don't realy allow benefit scroungers so if you was thinking of travelling here to live I suggest you get some English lessons as you're going to need a job and with your present standard of English I would say a Polish refugee just off the boat has a better chance. If on the other hand your method of typing is intended to impress, you have failed. :stupid:

Vinnie, we are talking about the vast tract of Pulrose here. Which, by the by, is undergoing a substantial refurbishment giving modern, attractive and warm housing to all, hardly a ghetto.

Be fair though Glady's - you can upgrade the housing but you can't do anything about the people that move back into it. Just because an estate now looks nice does not mean that anyone living there appreciates it more or that they stop living their lives in a particular way.

Exactly my point. ;)

You can take a horse to water....

There are posters on here who seem to think that Pulrose equates to Moss Side or whatever. It doesn't.

The vast majority of Pulrose residents are decent, honest, hard-working people - and I say this as someone who spent of the first forty years of his life living there, and as someone who's job involves picking up or taking home many of today's residents.

There are a few who are, quite simply, trouble. There are a few who are going to spend most of the early part of their lives in conflict with the law and with society in general.

Interestingly, there are at least as many similar people in other estates - including the privately-owned and upwardly-moblie ones - who are every bit as bad, or worse, than those in Pulrose. I have never had a passenger from Pulrose who tried to intimidate me - the same cannot be said for Farmhill, Governor's Hill - or even Howstrake Heights (the day that one succeeds in intimidating me is the day when I give up working nighttimes)

These are generally the ones who have (or have had) difficulties with educational development, either due to such factors as mental or emotional development (e.g. ADHD or dyslexia - both often undiagnosed due to an educational system that is only gleaming on the surface) that have made them the butt of cruel jokes and treatment in early life, until they find that bullying, or clowning, establishes a form of 'status' among their peers, or due to parents who have shuffled off their responsibilities either through neglect or over indulgence.

Solutions? There aren't any. At least there aren't any that society is willing to genuinely undertake and to pay for.

Lonan, please do note that I do not evaluate people on 'class' but rather on their attitude towards the rest of society and their willingness to contribute or, at least, not drain it!

I agree, there are many decent, honest and responsible people living in Pulrose, or any other public housing estate, just as there are quite a few shites living in Farmhill (perhaps I would be classed as one being a lone parent, but my offspring share the same father and the same skin tone, so perhaps I don't fully qualify for the club).

However, for those that are adept at screwing the system to their advantage, look only for what society can give them rather than what a fair exchange between the individual and the rest of us, and you have to admit that they tend to settle in the same area, because the social can't afford to keep them anywhere else! Meanwhile, they are draining the system to the disadvantage of those who really do need state support. The system really does need an overhaul.

Archived