E-borders Referred To In Chief Secretaries Service Delivery Plan 2008!

Dodger

Yes, the chaos caused by a shitty isolated system that they've installed to fix a particular problem in that terminal because there's not a universal system in place for identifying people from all countries.

But we don't have a problem here in the Isle of Man. Every time I have travelled off island (boat or aeroplane) it's been a breeze. How will E-Borders improve my travel?

Also a universal system from all countries would mean that every country in the world would have to come on board with the technology and agree to cross share everyone's data - H*LL NO!!! I am stunned at AI Droids complete faith in technology fixing all ills and that it cannot be abused by other governments never mind the criminals.......What about those flying into countries that feel that you could be classified as an extremist in their country? Freedom of speech, human rights, political opposition and religion!

Based on this "universal" system, all Isle of Man residents would have their data shared with the other countries that have signed up to the universal system!

• Replies 193
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Yeah, because visa applications are just put in the bin right?

I'm done with you tin hat nutters.

Notice you didn't answer Cronky's question, nor deny that for a universal system to work you would need other countries to accept the same technology and apply it in the same way!

You have always advocated that high tech is best, but your parting shot is storage of written applications!!!!! That could mean loss of personal data within the IOM, the high tech version, you could have it lost anywhere in the world, BIG difference.

You have always advocated that high tech is best, but your parting shot is storage of written applications!!!!! That could mean loss of personal data within the IOM, the high tech version, you could have it lost anywhere in the world, BIG difference.

Sigh. You're properly thick.

Sigh. You're properly thick.

LOL, pot calling kettle! Still not answered the questions...........Either Cronky's or mine........

The Cronky family are across on holiday just now. I have to say the check in at the Sea Terminal for a family in a car couldn't have been simpler. Just roll up, hand your booking sheet over, get your boarding pass and drive on.

I don't know which tiny sub district of the Planet Zorb you inhabit ai_Droid, but if you think it would be somehow easier if we had to get the kids passports and go through some kind of electronic biometric check-in then I suggest you get out more.

I have no wish for my family to get messed around like that poor sod at Heathrow.

LOL, pot calling kettle! Still not answered the questions...........Either Cronky's or mine........

They've been answered over and over.

No they haven't and you haven't either. Tell me, information that was on a Vic 20, what level of protection would it have had? Spectrum 64? The issue is that data can be stored safely for a time, the problem is with technology advancing all the time that the safeguards have to be continously upgraded to protect them. What happens if one of these viruses or trojans get in the system and send the data to criminals? What happens when these computers are decomissioned? With the WEEE directive we have to recycle our electrionic items, where do they go and how do we know that they could not be checked? There is a lot of software available that can bring back deleted information, in the future will more secure deleted data be recoverable? Do we trust those that hold our data to protect it for ever?

The data protection act covers collection and storage and it has to be used for the reason it was collected, with E borders it allows for it to be kept for a period of 10 years and also pass it to other jurisdictions. If we are to have a common robust system then data will have to be shared, even IOM - UK. What about UK - France? Etc Etc

The issue is that data can be stored safely for a time, the problem is with technology advancing all the time that the safeguards have to be continously upgraded to protect them.

Nail on the head. Existing systems like manual passport recording, various propriatory photography systems etc are out of date, so need to be upgraded. Well done for finally seeing the light.

The rest of your post is hilariously clueless. You know nothing about this subject. Go away and learn, then perhaps you can talk with some authority on this subject.

"The Isle of Man's Data Protection Officer is very concerned by new surveillance proposals from the British government.

A draft bill calls for a giant Home Office database of phone calls, text messages, emails and internet search histories, which UK officials say would help combat terrorism and crime.

Although nothing is definite yet, Iain McDonald says it's likely the Island would be included, to some extent at least.

He says the possible retention and open access to such information is worrying (audio file attached):

Iain McDonald was speaking to Dan Davies on Talking Heads." http://www.manxradio.com/readNEwsItem.aspx?id=20536

ANS/SLIM + AI Droid, this was mentioned earlier on the thread! So it can happen, whether Manx.net at the moment I don't know, but I would think that it will be all emails/mobiles.

Internet search histories as well!!!!

Oh well nothing to hide nothing to fear........... ;)

ANS/SLIM + AI Droid, this was mentioned earlier on the thread! So it can happen, whether Manx.net at the moment I don't know, but I would think that it will be all emails/mobiles.

Ignorance should be bliss, in your case it looks like paranoid hell.

Ignorance should be bliss, in your case it looks like paranoid hell.

Are you saying that you have all the answers? I am stunned that no matter where the information comes from you won't open your eyes!

Let's all stick our heads in the sand and hope it goes away! :wacko:

Are you saying that you have all the answers? I am stunned that no matter where the information comes from you won't open your eyes!

That's bloody rich that is.

As said already, the desire for this to happen by the government, and it being possible and practical are two very different things. The government has, in law, got the ability to tap phone lines when required. The government does not tap all phone lines. Get it?

That's bloody rich that is.

As said already, the desire for this to happen by the government, and it being possible and practical are two very different things. The government has, in law, got the ability to tap phone lines when required. The government does not tap all phone lines. Get it?

So you are quite happy with the commercial companies having to collect this data on everyone, just in case the government department wants it, what about the rights of the individual? When did the terrorist risk outweigh the rights of the individual? We have human rights legislation which is being ignored and we have data protection which is being abused. There is no need for this data collection or storage. Wanting to record every website I visit, email I send and place that I travel to and from.

Can't you see that it is data collection for data collections sake and not a necessary use of the technology.

Archived