More Ratepayers Money Down The Toilet

Albert Tatlock

The conundrum is do you vote for the person or the party, and do you not vote for the person because they are in the party.

I don't think here on the Island we are used to or, for the most part, like Party Politics. Personally I don't see what value it adds for a population of 80k yet alone the fraction of that number looked after at Commissioner level.

What you need is a person who cares about where they live, is "upstanding" or trustworthy if you prefer, and isn't a numpty. Party Politics is in danger of motivating the candidate to support issues that don't entirely have thier district's best interests at heart. That said, I doubt there would be much conflict, but suffice to say my view is vote for the person.

Stay Frosty

From MR: Corporation retains media service.

Am I missing something - why do such a small council need to employ a communications company to do this?

‘It’s important the Corporation’s role as a major player in the economic, social and cultural development of the Island’s capital is accurately portrayed and we’re delighted how Andrew Barton and his team are promoting our achievements so effectively.’

I thought there were (some) elections coming up that were about to judge that?

It would be much better if the councillors had some public meetings and learnt to communicate with people in straightforward language.

I am tired of press releases saying, David Christian or Doreen Kinrade said 'so and so "

It may be a idea if the Council learned to communicate effectively with their own employees instead of allowing the endless drift of them into illness through stress, brought about by poor management. Apparently a fifth of all employees are ill at any one time I am reliably informed?

It may be a idea if the Council learned to communicate effectively with their own employees instead of allowing the endless drift of them into illness through stress, brought about by poor management. Apparently a fifth of all employees are ill at any one time I am reliably informed?

Seems an awful lot to me. Any link?

[quote name='thebees' post='318580' date='Apr 18 .

sarahc, I would say that not voting "because of the LibVan connection" says an awful lot more about you than the candidate.

Why? It's a party vote. I don't support the party, Peter Karran, it's shady backers or Idiot Malarkey so why on earth should I support her?

I can't really argue with that.

However, one thing that I would say about the Liberal Vannin Party is that anyone can attend a meeting and discuss any matters with them. If you have something to say they will listen to you. If they can help they will help.

Back to the original point. So I take it that sarahc will be voting for the Pitts and Glenda Corkish then . . .

"Interesting Lib Van comments also. There are 3 Lib Vans standing in Ramsey and this is th efirst time I've seen anything suggesting the the party doesn't have popular support. The conundrum is do you vote for the person or the party, and do you not vote for the person because they are in the party."

What do you do about the 'Alliance' candidates, common manifesto, common leaflets, common posters but all claim to be independent, whilst borrowing premises(an empty shop) from the brother of one of the l local MHKs. What's your idea of independence?

I don't think here on the Island we are used to or, for the most part, like Party Politics.

Unless you count the Keys where, once elected, members are allocated ministries and departments and thus increase their earning power as long as they toe the Chief Minister's line. I believe it was from a similar 'grace and favour' system that parties first emerged in the UK?

Archived