David Callister Is An Mlc!

bluemonday

Ron Berry stood as MHK for Michael 18 months ago, so will probably end up in Tynwald sooner or later.

I'm glad David got in, he's a thoroughly decent man with a deep understanding of politics and processes.

I'm sad to see Pam go though - her unpopularity reinforced my belief that she did what she believed needed to be done without counting the votes it would cost her. We need more people prepared to make difficult choices and accept responsibility, rather than spend millions on 'consultation exercises' every time the political decorators look at a new shade of magnolia.

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I'm sad to see Pam go though - her unpopularity reinforced my belief that she did what she believed needed to be done without counting the votes it would cost her.

What 'you' believe should be done and making the right decisions are two totally different things.

I'm sad to see Pam go though - her unpopularity reinforced my belief that she did what she believed needed to be done without counting the votes it would cost her.

What 'you' believe should be done and making the right decisions are two totally different things.

Could that not be universally applied though? ie, it is as relevant to me or you as it is to Pam Crowe.

Wouldn't unpopularity be a more accurate reflection that she didn't do what the electorate wanted?

I worry that true democracy is probably much the same as mob rule.

Whilst on a grumpy day I'd like to see paedophiles burnt at the stake, the reintroduction of birching for anti-social behaviour and capital punishment for criminal damage to cars (and could probably get elected on that manifesto) it wouldn't do much for our 'Freedom to Flourish' message internationally.

The world is full of politicians who don't vote with their consciences, and change horses depending entirely on what is likely to keep them on the gravy train. Or they obfuscate the issues with soundbites of rhetoric that sound good but say nothing.

Look at issues like the Health Service (PMC was a political member). If the wishlist of every constituent and politician (on their behalf) was implemented, those of us in work would probably be paying an extra £50-£100 a week in tax to fund the behemoth - and chances are it'd STILL not be enough. We need people in Tynwald prepared to say no at times, however unpopular.

Mrs Crowe did, and I think Mr Callister will.

Edited for typo

We need people in Tynwald prepared to say no at times, however unpopular.

Well Pam certainly knew how to say "no" in Tynwald recently when there was the usual motion to extend questions past the allotted time.

Pam Crowe said "No" against the wishes of the majority of the House of Keys. And won her way.

I would much have preferred her to have faced up to the questions that were waiting for oral answer, irrespective of the unusually busy public gallery. Had she have had the strength of character to do so and explain her decisions to the public and indeed to Tynwald I am sure she would have been voted in on the first ballot.

Anyway, Stu always had a charming way with Mrs Crowe and I always imagined there being a twinkle in each other's eyes as the various interviews progressed.

As BBC Radio 4 used to advertise "The pictures are better on Radio"

I'm sad to see Pam go though - her unpopularity reinforced my belief that she did what she believed needed to be done without counting the votes it would cost her. We need more people prepared to make difficult choices and accept responsibility, rather than spend millions on 'consultation exercises' every time the political decorators look at a new shade of magnolia.

I believe that you mean Hyacinth, not magnolia.

Look at issues like the Health Service (PMC was a political member).

Stu to me "political member" means given a mandate by the people. As we know nothing of the sort applied to PMC. Unelected busybody might be a better description. Good riddance if you ask me.

We need people in Tynwald prepared to say no at times, however unpopular.

Just because you're voted in by NOBODY does not give you the mandate to be unpopular if you feel like it. All public officials should be accountable.

Will the new MLC give us a rendition of his all time recording classic 'The TT hall of fame'

I'm with Mainster Callister (although when he lived up the street from me he used to be Collister) The members of the MLC ought to be voted for by the public.

I did meet Pam in the local Co-op (other shops available) the other week. My how she moaned about the accusations of bullying. She then went on to lay her hand upon my arm, at which time I should have hailed the Police but I was too slow. She exited the shop with two bottles of wine still muttering about, how could what I said be construed as bullying!

As we now have one MLC from Energy Fm and one from Manx Radio, in the interests of balance, shouldn't someone nominate George Ferguson next time around? :P

That is actually a very good point that should be raised in the house. An independent media? All you need is Ron Berry (who stood for MHK last time around) and you have a full house of influential media people in government!

Archived