[BBC News] Scallop population to be boosted

Newsbot

On Thursday, 26,000 two-year-old scallops will be placed into the bay by the Department of Agriculture, Fisheries and Forestry (DAFF

Good idea, let's tell everybody shall we.

History repeating itself?

Yes, that really sounds clever. How soon before Douglas Bay gets scraped to death by fishermen (probably mostly from outside our waters) who want to enjoy the free hand-out?

Are we going to have a warship parked permanently in the Bay to dissuade them?

I've got a photo of the seabed in Douglas bay at about 25 metres. I'll dig it out and post it up.

A quick one: What do think the seabed looks like in Douglas Bay and surrounding areas?

I always imagined it looked a bit like this, with the occasional turd and plastic bag floating by.

fish-and-mermaid-cartoon-copyright3.gif

Sorry, the only picture I can find doesn't do it justice. Imagine if you will, the end result of a Massey Ferguson 5400 http://www.masseyferguson.com/agco/mf/uk/p...00lowfull04.jpg

pulling a Kverneland plough http://www.genleo.com.au/images/Kverneland...v%20Plough1.jpg for a year or so, non stop over the same area of land.

That is what the seabed looks like. Once you get a hundred metres from the cliffs, it's a barren landscape devoid of life.

The best place for scallops that I've found, where the scallops are large and clean is Port Soderick to Keristal. No more than 500 metres from the base of the cliffs. Impossible to drag gear through though due to many large boulder fields and huge brittle star beds. This is the area that needs urgent protection.

You all seem to be missing the point

Seeding Douglas Bay with juvenile scallops and banning towing in that area will create a nursery zone for many types of fish & shellfish

The protected zone off Port Erin has had a knock on effect, with the surrounding area showing increased levels of marine life

One of the Peel skippers has just been fined for towing in the Port Erin protected area

The advantage of creating a protected zone in Douglas will be that bored pensioners from Douglas Head to Majestic Drive will be able to report offenders

Except for Homarus, who as a lifelong poacher and recidevist will be unable to resist the temptation of illegal fishing

He will kit out his lobster boat for scallop dredging and conduct his business under cover of darkness

The best place for scallops that I've found, where the scallops are large and clean is Port Soderick to Keristal. No more than 500 metres from the base of the cliffs. Impossible to drag gear through though due to many large boulder fields and huge brittle star beds. This is the area that needs urgent protection.

I thought scallops like a sandy, rather than a rocky, seabed.

Archived