Manx Radio News

simon

I tuned into Manx Radio this morning hoping to hear more details and background re the arrest of the Chief Minister.

Nope. Just a straight reporting of the story and couple of pre prepared statements. No analysis. No background.

At the very least I would have expected to hear:

1. Chronology of yesterday's events. And a re explanation of the events of recent months which have got us to this point.

2. When the story broke and how Manx Radio heard of it.

3. Explaination of 'Police Bail'. What are the implications?

4. Interviewing a political correspondent / constitutional expert re implications or not for the government and the IOM.

5. Interviewing other MHKs and former significant MHKs for their opinions re what should happen today.

Compare this with the BBC reporting of Blunket's lover's nanny's visa.

If Manx Radio wants to be taken seriously then it should start employing journalists.

PS - in other news - Mandate still fails to mention that the CEO of the MEA is also employed by the bank from which the money was borrowed. Why? The BBC would if they were covering this.

• Replies 158
  • Created
  • Last Reply

You are soooooo right!

This is going to be such a massive story, possibly the biggest political story this year - just wait until the UK media put their spin on things.

I turned over to Manx Radio/Mandate to hear what was going on with our head of government. The presenter, I think it was Stewart Peters, didn't even mention it in the programme run down, I couldn’t believe it. They just carried on with the usual “filler” items that make Manx Radio sound more like a government department than an independent news operation.

The press release came out at 9.30 p.m.

The whole of the Manx Radio news should have been brought in and got loads of reaction pieces from MHK's to MP's etc. Today Mandate should have been cleared off everything else.

It was a poor show when the “national broadcaster” runs shy of a big story like this. What signal are they sending out their listeners? Where is David Callister or John Moss when you need them.

Agreed Simon, I was thinking exactly the same thing. I think the local media have a warped idea of what sub judice means, and interpret it as meaning they can say nothing and take the easy option of doing just that.

In fact what we all need to know, which they can discuss, are what are the implications for the governance of the country - how will the political system run - and what are the constitutional implications if certain courses of action are taken.

None of that implies guilt or prejudices anyone.

Me too. I was hoping to hear what position this could potentially/actually put the government in and what steps could be taken. Useful constitutional information you know? We could do with a Jeremy Paxman type.

Everyone knew this story was going to break; it was just a question of when. Therefore you would think that Manx Radio would have had a package of interviews and reactions ready to broadcast this morning on their flagship news programme. I for one would have liked to have been reminded about the story, the time line, what happened, when and what are the political options etc. It’s like having obituaries of well known personalities ready to roll. They get on air in minutes. Manx Radio had the story confirmed last night, how long do they need? It seems the news department have been caught off guard – or maybe, even worse, some sort of pressure has been applied to play the story down. Whatever the news editor should hang his head in shame. Please can the Manx Radio contributors come on here and let us know what’s going on.

Release no.

Media Release.

As a result of our enquiries into allegations in respect of grants paid to them by the Department of Tourism and Leisure, I can now confirm that the Chief Minister, Mr Richard CORKILL and his wife Julie have today been arrested and interviewed by Detectives from the Isle of Man Constabulary’s Serious Crime Unit in respect of these allegations. I can also confirm that, as part of their enquiries, Police officers have also conducted enquiries at the home address of Mr & Mrs Corkill.

Following their respective interviews they have each been released on Police Bail to reappear at a future date ,pending the outcome of further enquiries.

As the matter is still on-going, no further comment will be made at this time by members of the Constabulary in relation to this matter.

Anyone who has information about this incident should contact Police Headquarters on 631212 or the Crimestoppers number 0800 555 111. A reward may be payable as a result of your information.

Officer issuing: Acting Detective Chief Inspector Paul Ormond-Smith

Time and date of issue: 1st December 2004 2130hrs

Ah, the luxury of being a critic!

We broke the 'arrest' news yesterday afternoon as soon as we had confirmation of the rumour from the police. It led all our subsequent bulletins, which also included background facts.

A feature story was prepared for this morning's Mandate programme once we had the official press release at 2130 last night, and my late-shift newsroom colleagues talked to a number of key people and put together various programme components for possible inclusion.

However, it was decided at editorial level (without ANY management or government pressure!) that the REAL story was more likely to evolve during the course of this morning, and that for us to 'fly a kite' on what might or might not follow would be irresponsible. The decision was therefore taken that we should concentrate entirely on the facts that we had, rather than on lots of speculation.

That decision proved to be correct, and we ran the FACTS within Mandate at 0730, 0745, 0800 and 0830.

The 'script' for Midday Mandate from 1230 went in the bin the very second that official notification of the Chief Minister's resignation came through (just as we went on air), and we then committed virtually the whole programme to the story as it evolved.

I think we did a good, solid, balanced, impartial and responsible job today... and for a fraction of the cost and resources the BBC have at their disposal.

Archived