Manx Radio News

simon

/ me chokes on my weetybangs

Yeah, but I'm not responding to anyone in an official capacity. If you sign your posts with your job and title, I'd consider it to be an official response from a Manx Radio employee. Do you think that it would be an appropriate reply to give if it arrived in the form of a letter? It would appear that, despite his protestations to the contrary, he's taken it all very personally indeed. I actually thought Simon's suggestions were pretty good and to dismiss them in such a condescending fashion as an official representative of your employer is a mistake.

Conversely, Stu goes to great pains to make sure we understand that he is posting his own opinion and that it in now way reflects his company line, and I have a lot of respect for him for that.

• Replies 158
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Listened to the interview with the old sages, but unfortunately they seemed to more like old onions and brought tears to Watterson's eyes.

I think the poor quality of guests lead to a very poor quality show, (the concensus being that the Manx people don't care about how the Government is run) which must have knocked Watterson's confidence for the second one. He is usually quite good, but seemed all at sea yesterday. Whittering on about media bias because of the Guardian, but not recognising the excellent article in the Times. (Incidently does anyone else believe that the National Press have an editorial policy on the Isle of Man).

Allowing airtime to Roy and Marge. Actively, encouraging people to engage in rambling conversations about the reduced number of Mannin Lines rather than discuss the issues.

Someone should tell him that the issue here isn't the media, but the serious questions about how the government has been run for a number of years.

From the point of view of someone looking into the media and political world it all seems so cosy. Consider these examples -

How come ALL the running on the Ballacain affair has been on the net and in Tynwald. I can't name one revelation that has come from the local papers or Manx Radio?

How did it fall to a member of the public on a phone in show to break the MEA story, not the press or radio?

How come the Mount Murray Inquiry received such scant coverage?

Why do the media allow the government off the hook by not seeing that these issues are part of a bigger issue (the manner in which the Government has been run for the last few years) rather than treat these as isolated blips.

I too listened on Sunday. I was absolutely horrified that these one-time MHks actually believed that "the Manx people don't care about how the Government is run". I also heard them saying that the Manx people don't care about politics, full stop!

We really need to show them that they are wrong here - if indeed they are? :spam:

TBH Addie I don't think they are.

Recent election and by-election turn-outs seems to confirm that in the most part.

However, voter apathy is widespread across the British Isles.

Of course, there are a vocal few who do care but there are too many recently settled residents who would look at our government as little more than a glorified council and, of the rest, they look at the MHKs and potential candidates on offer and simply 'pffft'.

Conversely, Stu goes to great pains to make sure we understand that he is posting his own opinion and that it in now way reflects his company line, and I have a lot of respect for him for that.

Agreed. I think the way that Stu handles the postings of various punters is much more akin to someone with a genuine interest in the performance of their organisation, in the eyes of their customers.

I think that CW takes a different line and can't quite grasp the idea that sometimes, people have ideas and thoughts that may well be useful to take on board. People obviously care a great deal about MR, otherwise it wouldnt attract such discussion in the first place. Rather than shout down every comment made as being drivel, you should consider why it is being said and whether it has any value.

I'm equally sure that some of the criticism is unfounded and there are justifiable reasons why something cannot be covered in such a way. But if you are going to lambast those suggestions as being ill-informed, you gotta tell us why.

Slinky, IMO it doesn't matter whether in their spare time a MR presenter has a second job (whatever that may be) as long as they do a good job for MR, that is all that we should ask.

Friday night - Mount Murray for staff christmas doo (sic).

Imagine my suprise (sic) when the Mobile DJ turned out to be:

Chris Williams

Acting Programme Director

:blink:

Not a good image for Manx Radio, in my opinion. But fairplay we're all saving for christmas after all!

Cheap shot.

People not allowed to work?

I know someone who earns a very good salary in a bank who also does a couple of nights in a grotty pub for £5 an hour simply because they enjoy it. Maybe Chris' does it more for fun than for money.

Cheap shot.

Hardly a cheap shot with the words 'In my opinion' in the phrase.

Yes of course people can work, I didn't say that. Some people also can't cos it's in your contract of employment.

It was because someone (simon) had said he sounded a bit 'Mobile DJ' on the radio (see below) and I personally thought it was funny when I saw him actually doing a cliched xmas party type thing, cos I never had imagined he did do that.

SHABBA!

Mobile DJ comments here:

http://www.manxforums.com/forums/index.php...opic=2111&st=15

I can understand where Manxjock is coming from, seeing your workplace torn apart in words and someone pushing for you to be "sacked" is bound to xxxx you off right?

Anyway simons suggestions are rubbish. I do enjoy some of the (short) talkbased programs MR do but not all the time. I mainly enjoy shows like the ones on Saturday nights, Dan davis, Mike Buttell shows like that. DJ based ones basically. If it were just talk based I'd never have it on, dont forget most people have radios on as background music (at work etc),just turning it up for the news.

Talk based radio is much more work too, hense more costly.

The suggestion of "And I'd promote the women who work on the station. Give the Sunday current affairs slot to one of the women." is merely patronising in the extreme.

I would like to apologise if some of you took my comments to be "patronising".

I have replied to this and some other posts on this forum to the best of my ability in the position which I hold and have and will be completely transparent in my identity. My coments regarding previous posts relate to details which have been incorrect. I have also answered these in a truthful manner as I feel it is important that people have the opportunity to make decisions based on fact and not on "hearsay".

In reply to "slinkydevil". I have been doing private functions for various company's and individuals on the Island for almost twelve years and in total for nearly twenty five so this is nothing new. By the way, which Company do you work for and why didn't you come and say hi!, it would have been good to talk.

Chris Williams.

Acting Programme Director.

Archived