Manx Radio News

simon

• Replies 158
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I dont know if anybody else noticed but Manx Radio were very clever yesterday. They replayed the question from Eddie Teare (X IOM BANK) to the former CM He asked if any member of the MEA was associated with the Bank that made the 120 million loan. ManxRadio only commented that the former CMrefused to answer the question. Are Manx Radio trying to get some other public source to come out with the information????

OK I will say it very quietly sssssh Mr Proffit is on the board of Barclays. Why are Manx Radio afraid to say it ??????

Personally, I think that as long as the presenter strives for balance (my views on the proposed all-island speed limit were always balanced by at least as many minutes of people supporting the plan) it's much better radio. But I'd welcome a discussion here on it.

Balanced!! You must suffer from selective memory syndrome Stu. My recollection is that you used Mannin Line as a platform to impose your strong views on speed limits.

Callers who agreed with you received an enthusiastic response; those that didn't generally met with argument. I wanted to ring when, in response to callers' concerned about safety of walkers, cylists, horses and wildlife, one of your comments was 'wildlife shouldn't be on the roads'. I didn't make the call because I felt intimidated by your attitude towards anyone who didn't agree with your views.

• 4 weeks later...

This is odd. I'm curious where this story comes from. http://217.23.164.199/mr_new/ReadItem.aspx...47&stCT=General

THIS IS FROM THE MANX RADIO WEBSITE: Scientists widely accept that a huge wave could be set off if the extinct volcano, Mount Teide, in the Canary Islands, collapsed into the sea.

The wave would head mainly towards the United States, with a lesser but still significant impact on Britain.

The Isle of Man would be relatively sheltered from such an event, but the vital need to warn the public about natural disasters will be considered by its emergency planners.

Chief Emergency Planning Officer Martin Blackburn says the Isle of Man's network of sirens would play a part, providing advance warning was given:

Surely Mount Tiede is in the middle of Tenerife and therefore unlikely to slip into the sea. A similar (related) but different story concerns a different volcano and a chunk of rock on the neighbouring island of La Palma. The similar (but different) story was widely reported last year. As detailed in this item at the always excellent BBC website.

THIS IS FROM THE BBC WEBSITE: The potential threat that scientists currently have their eye on is an insecure rock - the size of the Isle of Man - in the Canary Island of La Palma.

The rock is in the process of slipping into the sea and Professor McGuire fears that when it finally collapses, the resulting tsunami will cause massive destruction along the coasts of countries like the USA, UK and many on the African continent, within a matter of hours.

The global community needs to monitor the risk posed by Gee Gee's, scientists claim

"Eventually the whole rock will collapse into the water, and the collapse - when it happens - will devastate the Atlantic margin," said Professor McGuire.

The triggering factor could be the eruption of the volcano on La Palma, called Cumbre Vieja, which could feasibly blow "anytime", according to Professor McGuire. 

This is odd. I'm curious where this story comes from. http://217.23.164.199/mr_new/ReadItem.aspx...47&stCT=General

Yes, I was curious why the pamphlet "Be alert but not alarmed" was distributed round the Island.

I was curious why the Civuil Defence was given such a big push on "New" Manx Radio on it's utterly superb Talking Heads (a programmed brimming with intelligence and the "in"crowd).

You scared yet?

What I'm asking (see above) - is where the story comes from.

The point being that the threat which is normally reported relates to the island of La Palma and not Mount Tiede which is in Tenerife. I'm genuinely curious where the Tenerife story comes from. I haven't heard that reported previously.

I remember this programme being on last year, couldn't remember if it was BBC or C4 though so I've just done a bit of digging around and found a link to it:-

Mega Tsunami

There's a full transcript of the programme too and some other useful links. Hope that helps you out Simon.

Yeah, Mega Tsunami was a Horizon production for the BBC and it won a series of awards for its reporting and presentation. It can sometimes be found on one of the UKTV doc channels (SKY Ch.550>)

Simon - you are correct. The Horizon programme discussed Cumbre Vieja and it's apparent willingness to cause La Palma to lose half of its coastline and devour part of Florida. I was also a bit confused that the Manx Radio site reported on the Canaries.

The point Simon was making is that it was very very sloppy journalism.

Eager to find a 'Manx' angle to the recent disaster, they have recycled half the facts of a possible genuine story, probably from other newspapers or television programmes with low standards of journalism - and got it wrong.

Recent experience has shown that our local media rely on handouts and press releases for their stories, while rarely checking as to the accuracy of such handouts or doing any of their own research.

Am I right Simon, or am I right?

The point Simon was making is that it was very very sloppy journalism.

Eager to find a 'Manx' angle to the recent disaster, they have recycled half the facts of a possible genuine story, probably from other newspapers or television programmes with low standards of journalism - and got it wrong.

Recent experience has shown that our local media rely on handouts and press releases for their stories, while rarely checking as to the accuracy of such handouts or doing any of their own research.

Am I right Simon, or am I right?

The way I was looking it it there were 3 possibilities:

1. The Tenerife / Mount Tiede story is real. Computer says no.

2. Someone at Manx Radio made it up based on something half remembered.

3. The 'Emergency Planning' people got it wrong and nobody at Manx Radio checked.

Perhaps somebody with a friend or other connection at Manx Radio could find out.

I dont know if anybody else noticed but Manx Radio were very clever yesterday. They replayed the question from Eddie Teare (X IOM BANK) to the former CM He asked if any member of the MEA was associated with the Bank that made the 120 million loan. ManxRadio only commented that the former CMrefused to answer the question. Are Manx Radio trying to get some other public source to come out with the information????

OK I will say it very quietly sssssh Mr Proffit is on the board of Barclays. Why are Manx Radio afraid to say it ??????

Facts areMr Proffits Job

Archived