Manx Radio News

simon

manx radio news...... is appalling,

but it is a million miles better than three fm which is a stright copy of manx radio and read by a student (or sounds like it) and three fm plays the same old records over and over and over again!

energy fm news? they only seem to have manx news at tea time?

Come on IOM media - get some balls!!! you are all a joke!

• Replies 158
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I was frustrated this morning when I'd missed the 7.30 announcement about the island wide decision on whether or not the schools were open. "I know" (I thought cunningly) "I'll have a swift look on the website!" (as it's a major announcement affecting most local families and all that) 15 minutes later I gave up my fruitless search for the essential information and started ringing/texting round other families who had caught it.

Never mind.

well i was unfortunate enough to hear jason quinn babbling on about the schools announcment at 7.10 when i came across energy fm, when i was flicking around in the van later, he was still going on about it, i went back to radio 2 again.

although the music is appalling, they do seem to know whats going on on energyfm. just wish they'd play a bit more 70's rock!

I tuned into Manx Radio this morning hoping to hear more details and background re the arrest of the Chief Minister.

Nope. Just a straight reporting of the story and couple of pre prepared statements. No analysis. No background.

At the very least I would have expected to hear:

1. Chronology of yesterday's events. And a re explanation of the events of recent months which have got us to this point.

2. When the story broke and how Manx Radio heard of it.

3. Explaination of 'Police Bail'. What are the implications?

4. Interviewing a political correspondent / constitutional expert re implications or not for the government and the IOM.

5. Interviewing other MHKs and former significant MHKs for their opinions re what should happen today.

Compare this with the BBC reporting of Blunket's lover's nanny's visa.

If Manx Radio wants to be taken seriously then it should start employing journalists.

PS - in other news - Mandate still fails to mention that the CEO of the MEA is also employed by the bank from which the money was borrowed. Why? The BBC would if they were covering this.

I HEAR THEY ARE ABOUT TO BE RE-ARRESTED B)

• 4 months later...

Sorry to go back to this but I thought I'd give Mandate a go again this morning

The programe may have commercial sponsorship but it still sounds like a government public information programme.

The item with the film commision was just appalling. No hard questions. All three interviewees seemed to know the questions in advance or at least knew they where not going to be put on the spot.

The "jolly" interview would sit better with Chis Williams show

Where are the searching questions? Our politicians should not be given an easy ride. Get the old David Callister tapes out to find out how it should be done

I sometimes despair of Manx Radio's accuracy in some matters

We're recently had

The Channel Islands were the only part of the UK that were occupied during the war (Wrong, they're not part of the UK)

Driving bans issued on the Isle of Man will now apply the the UK and Northern Ireland (Isn't Northern Ireland part of the UK?)

Double while lines mean no overtaking (Wrong, they mean no crossing or straddling to overtake)

Who knows what else they get wrong?

• 2 months later...

Manx Radio News Sunday

The item on Douglas Corp having a fun day in Nobles Park was truely truely bad.

It was not a news item in any shape, form or fashion, it was a soft interview which should have been placed in "Talking Heads".

Mrs Chattel talking about welly throwing for nearly a minute was nothing more than a commercial, and it still didn't make me want to go to the event.

I felt sorry for the news reader who seemed to think the same thing. Total non-news.

Note to News Editor - sometimes less is more.

Archived