Manx Radio News

simon

• Replies 158
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Was the the item that contained a whole list of "we've got's" which seemed infectious because then the MR newsreader started using "we've got" in the next "news item"

What's wrong with "we have"?

and the other gripe about "I'm back at ...o'clock"

"I am" isn't in the future, what's wrong with "I will be back" or something else grammatically correct ?

My particular gripe is about the use of the present tense to add a sense of urgency to the news item (general practice throughout the media, now) e.g "Donald Gelling reshuffles his cabinet" instead of "Donald Gelling has reshuffled his cabinet." I also think an item such as that one could be enlivened by quietly playing 'Send In The Clowns' as background music.

Another thing that annoys when watching or listening to news is when an item is reported as "An aircraft crashed in Outer Mongolia today killing 150 people .... there were not thought to be any Britons on board." Ahhh... that's alright, then!

Years ago I used to work for a broadcast monitoring dept (like a press cutting service but for tv and radio - ie clients want to know who said what etc; noting references).

The bum shifts which nobody ever wanted - listening the news on Capital Radio / Radio 1 / LBC. They always shouted the news tabloid style and played exciting background music under the script. After a while that background music starts to drill into your skull.

Aye, a bit like that discordant four chord Manx Rardio jingle they seem so proud of. It goes off after every couple of news items and always twice as loud as the newsreaders voice level.

Oh and for the Sports news they play it with a hooter sound.

What are they playing at and who 'wrote' that bloody irritating junk (Charles on acid???)

• 2 months later...

Manx Radio News Sunday 16th October

Second story in was the latest passenger figures for Douglas Harbour

This story is taken from a government press release that was published on their web site on Thursday 13th Oct

Energy FM news centre ran the story as far back as Tuesday 11th Oct

Good to know you scooped the world by airing that information a full 5 days ago then. Maybe MR put the press release on that pile 'Rainy Sunday Stuff'.

Shame that any station would be airing press releases as news.

Meanwhile - good to see that the new BBC Manx news website is updated regularly, is well designed and works with all browsers. Also nice that it is coherent and well written. Unlike the Manx Radio website which is still awful after all these years.

From the bbc isle of man news site:

Other local news sites:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Asian Leader

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Isle of Man Courier

Isle of Man Examiner

Isle of Man Today

Manx Independent

Manx Radio

asian leader? local news?

Archived