Euromanx

local skeet

But Shirley he'll get the 500 quid back (or at least the return fare cost) if he paid by credit card?

Not really sure I understand what you mean by that but I don't think so. Once the payment is made there's no getting it back as far as I'm aware.

• Replies 351
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Credit card protection thingy?

Don't think it applies in situations like this, ans. My dad has spent hours on the phone today and I'm sure if there was a way of reclaiming the money he'd have found out by now. The flights were booked and payment made almost a year ago. Travel insurance doesn't cover it either.

Credit card protection thingy?

Don't think it applies in situations like this, ans.

I think it probably does.

Extract from http://www.telegraph.co.uk/travel/733720/On-the-case.html

"If you paid by credit card, you should be covered under the terms of the Consumer Credit Act, which requires your card provider to arrange a refund if the airline cancels the flight and does not repay you."

This is UK legislation - I am not sure what the IoM Consumer Protection Act says in this regard. Could be worth calling the Office of Fair Trading on 686504 to ask their advice. Hopefully in the light of current events they will be able to give you an immediate answer as a lot of people will be in similar situations.

- and also ask your bank?

Maybe an 'air bridge' operation between here and (say) Liverpool would do it - more like a bus service and with absolutely no frills, but it would rely on fee deals with both Ronaldsway and Speke and a guarantee of no competition allowed on that route in consideration of a regular fare of (say) £50 return to work...without conditions like there has to be an X in the month, or the need to book it six months in advance. IF that service was available, I think it would make some money and provide an affordable lifeline.

Another option which I have heard people talking about is bus-stop type services. Eg slightly larger aircraft fly routes via several pickups / drop - offs.

With oil heading towards $200 a barrel this year (some say) - it seems more likely that flying will be something that only rich people do. The rest of us will travel by sailing ship and bicycle.

Mona asked if Flybe have put the prices up, looking at their website it doesn't appear so - still fares at less than £40 return available in June.post-12553-1210364710_thumb.jpg

I'm not sure why Minnie's dad has been charged for the return flights - it could be down to availability, which Flybe have said it's all subject to, on the day he wanted to return - it is the Saturday after TT when all those who leave the island for a bit of peace an quiet return home.

Regarding the cost to the tax payer, The government are waving Passenger Duty an security charges for the affected passengers.The remainder is being covered by Flybe. I' have thought the same applies for Manx 2 also.

My understanding (and I was called 'a baddie' by the airport director for suggesting it could cost £40m) is that the main runways need resurfacing anyway (dunno why, they seem good enough to my amateur flying eye) and that will cost half the budget (expensive stuff this tarmac, evidently). And it's not really about increasing capacity - more a case of bringing Ronaldsway into the 21st century and ahead of having limitations put on existing operators. I guess the executive jets we're trying to attract to the IOM register would feel happier with the upgrades too.

The other thought is that WHILE we still have a few quid in the kitty, we SHOULD be doing maintenance and improvement works that we may be unable to afford in a couple or five years. I'd have probably put the £40m away for IF the legislators demand changes, but that's probably why I'm not a politician.

The other thing we should do is to disassociate the airline operators from the airport operators. If a bus route loses money, it's not the fault of the roads. Except where it has an unnecessary speed limit, speed bumps or other nanny-state 'traffic calming measures'...

The other thing we should do is to disassociate the airline operators from the airport operators. If a bus route loses money, it's not the fault of the roads. Except where it has an unnecessary speed limit, speed bumps or other nanny-state 'traffic calming measures'...

Stu, with the greatest respect we live on an island. Its not a bus route. If people want to come here then there is a steady flow of people able to pay a plane fare. If not then the planes fly half empty (Euromanx) and go bust. Euromanx was the Islands biggest carrier and yet it clearly couldn't make money.

For my part I've spent the day speaking to pissed off business contacts who come here via London City asking me how, if our economy is so brilliant, the main passenger carrier has gone tits up leaving the route in jeopardy. Its not happened in Jersey or Guernsey that have a steady flow of passengers yet obviously nobody makes money flying to the IoM.

Basically it looks totally shit from the Islands perspective, it makes us look like a joke compared to rival jurisdictions, and its causing all sorts of unpleasant questions to be asked about our economy with people who do business with companies based here. Its crap for my business, and its crap for other peoples business too.

Agree OMF, it doesn't look good.

I do wonder why the airport management seems so closely involved in what must be policy issues; surely the airport's concern is getting pax numbers through it to cover costs, the matter of how this feeds the IOM economy and the regulation of airlines operating out of Ronaldsway is one for the politicos, surely? Just strikes me as a little 'tail wagging the dog'. *

As for when pax and employees are informed; not nice, but that is how it is. You cannot announce something until it has happened and you certainly can't announce that you may be thinking of putting the thing into liquidation as that will be a self-fulfilling prophecy and could also result in some serious charges against the directors who are in an extremely exposed position when the company is insolvent - has to be by the rule book, this is not peculiar to the airline industry.

It is tough on the employees, and travellers, but like OMF I have more concern about how this resonates off-island and what measure are to be taken by the IOM government to secure our communications links once and for all.

*I would have more faith in Ronaldsway's management if they please sacked that useless article in the departure lounge bar.

Archived