Euromanx

local skeet

I understand that it is possible to get flights rebooked at the airport desk - this was given as an alternative to phoning in an mail FlyBe sent out. Unfortunately no-one told the people at the airport, and they were trying to put people off early this morning, though they would do the booking if pushed. Of course, they were not happy bunnies, as a lot of them were worried about their jobs this morning. (see final destination's post this evening confirming that they were right)

• Replies 351
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Reading the Chief Minister's answer in the Keys, it clear that the Government was not just 'propping up' Euromanx, and that is was instead trying to work towards a solution, and, in partnership with the company decided the only option was a merger/partnership, which (at the time of you booking, Gladys) seemed like a viable option. As such:

Oh come on its exactly clear what your position is. There's not one post you make where you don't slavishly endorse the governments stance.

Its a nasty mess alright but I'd say I can see why most laymen agree with the propping up sentiment. The company could not afford to pay the government its dues, it failed when given more time, what it then appeared to do is sell some old sob story about being approached by buyers. As someone else pointed out you can have 10 buyers interested in buying your house - it means nothing - they'll still repossess it.

As more info comes out I feel very sorry for the government. It got into the position, as its biggest potential creditor, that they most likely would be the ones that had to pull the plug and then be blamed for sending "the Islands favourite airline" (what a joke that was for an Austrian registered business) under, so they stood back and hoped that what they were being told was true. Its catch 22. It happens to creditors everday of the week - were on the verge of a massive contract, or were being taken over by our main competitor etc.

I think thats fine but you can't then stand back and say you had no clue what was going on if it owed you over a million quid at the time it "miraculously" went bust.

no one had an inkling Euro was going??

mmmm

oops sorry - meant to be a quote there - obviously not got the hang of that just yet - any way load of c**p!!

Some staff were telling customers it was going ka put on Friday - allegedly.

The Government could have gone one further than prop Euromanx up and that was to buy the airline which, I'm sure, would have met with the approval of the majority of the Island's population.

OK, it might have taken £3-4 million (hey, it is owed in excess of £1M) but what's that in the great scheme of things? It's about to fork out £40M on a bit of landfill and tarmac at the airport very soon - for a tenth of that price it could have had its own airline! The requisite legislation to allow Mr Johnson at the 'Air Ministry' to expand his remit to grant an Operators Certificate to a Manx-based airline could have gone through Tynwald like a dose of salts and the necessary operational documentation was already in place; so was all the infrastructure (crew, ops, ticket sales, marketing) to run the new national carrier. Then, the government could have split up the existing route network - the new manx airline (why not call it Euromanx?!) would retain London City, Manchester and Liverpool; Flybe retain London Gatwick and London Luton; Eastern retain Birmingham and Manx2 retain whatever they were doing this week. If anyone didn't like the new arrangement then adios - another route for the 'national carrier'. Future applications and approvals for new routes would have to granted by the IOM Govt set against the national interest and the profitability of the 'national carrier'. As far as profit is concerned - sufficient revenue to prevent loss - that is all that's needed.

The Government could have gone one further than prop Euromanx up and that was to buy the airline which, I'm sure, would have met with the approval of the majority of the Island's population.

OK, it might have taken £3-4 million (hey, it is owed in excess of £1M) but what's that in the great scheme of things?

The States of Guernsey did it with Aurigny - I think it underwrites it to the tune of about £2.5m a year. In the over all scheme of things its chicken feed to get the slots and the schedules you want and to keep the business traffic coming in. They fly Gatwick, Stanstead, Manchester, Bristol and Southampton.

Oh come on its exactly clear what your position is. There's not one post you make where you don't slavishly endorse the governments stance.

Yawwwwwn.

If they did something I disagreed with that I would say so.

You might yawn, I reckon I'm bang on the money.

Do you work for the ministry of information charged with spreading the good word on MF?

Does anyone have travel insurance who has booked flights? Are they paying out?

Yes. No. The policy conditions are fairly clear (HSBC branded policy, underwritten by Norwich Union) that it only covers certain stuff and your airline going pop isn't one of them. Tried the call centre anyway and they said that they had quite a few people on asking the same question, but they had confirmed with their underwriters that my first (only) port of call was with the liquidators, and that the policy didn't cover this loss.

And as I have an £85 booking, it's below the Consumer Credit Act limit of £100. Could have been worse though, it's not £500 like some other posters here.

I'll just add it to the £2k that Ultimate effing Interiors (and the wonderful Mr Alan Davies) cost me when they went pop before finishing my bathroom....

Tried the call centre anyway and they said that they had quite a few people on asking the same question, but they had confirmed with their underwriters that my first (only) port of call was with the liquidators, and that the policy didn't cover this loss.

And as I have an £85 booking, it's below the Consumer Credit Act limit of £100. Could have been worse though, it's not £500 like some other posters here.

I'll just add it to the £2k that Ultimate effing Interiors (and the wonderful Mr Alan Davies) cost me when they went pop before finishing my bathroom....

Will you PM me next time you sign up for something. I'll know when to sell my shares.

(Only joking, tough luck I lost out on Euromanx too)

My flight with euromanx was £19 single IOM-MAN.

Fare = £0

Taxes and charges = £19

When do the government get the "taxes and charges" ?

Do they get it at the time at ticketing or do they get it when the flight happens?

If the government get the money at the time of ticketing then I claim my £19.........!

The Government only charge Airline Passenger Duty... everything else is the airlines own charges (fuel duty/admin etc). A common misconception is that the tax man is making a fortune, but in reality its just another way for the airline to make their fares look really low, but hide the costs in the Taxes and Charges bit! I think current APD is £10? but may be wrong!

Does anyone have travel insurance who has booked flights? Are they paying out?

I have annual cover and I haven't checked the policy yet, but I suspect the cover will be for return to country of origin if your carrier goes bust while you are on holiday.

As I ponder on this I get increasingly disturbed by the actions of our Government. Either they steer completely clear or they get heavily involved, not the kind of half way house which has been interpreted, possibly, by Euromanx management as 'permission' to trade for longer than they really should have.

I also wonder whether an enthuisasm for playing 'business magnate' has overshadowed the need for the Government to get proper legal advice on the processes of corporate insolvency. If they had then the gaff by TB on MR this morning wouldn't have happened. You could say it was a bit of a slip but it just seemed to reiterate that they had completely the wrong end of the stick and took the wrong approach. A bit like Mr Teare and the distribution to St Kitts' UK operation being 'well perhaps it was a loan repayment'; Eddie, it is a Manx registered charity, you should know exactly why that money has been paid and whether it was a proper payment for an IOM registered charity.

I wonder if IOM Government are really just playing grown-up post offices or shops, using our toytown money. Do they fight over who gets to use the till?

Only a suggestion, but:

Maybe everyone who lost money through this (I'm thinking fare paying public) should meet up and have a chat?

You ain't gonna shift anything on your own. Set up a nice relaxed meeting somewhere, get the media to just happen to be there and see what ya get.

Works sometimes, you know ;)

Archived