Euromanx

local skeet

• Replies 351
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Was at this sitting of the Keys today, which was an interesting experience. Kept getting funny looks, though I doubt they see many young people in rugby jerseys sat watching. The Euromanx questions were, with the exceptions of Watterson and Malarkey's, about stuff covered at the previous sitting. It was extremely tedious towards the end, as Cannan and Karran insisted on covering the same ground.

Whilst I do not totally blame FlyBe for EM's demise, I think it would be reasonable to say they were certainly the straw that broke the camel's back. To what degree this finished them off is highly debatable but I'm convinced FB commercial sat around the desk at Exeter knowing damn well what they were on with and what the result would be by starting a IOM-LPL service.

I emailed their Jim French to very politely suggest that someone has a look at the IOM-LPL schedules as the last flight back to the island is at an early 1745. This is less than convenient for businessmen or inward travellers from Europe. I've just had a nicely worded supply from one of his minions that really said "tough, that's how it is!". Whilst I didn't expect anything else it does illustrate that their mealy-mouthed utterings of 'understanding an island's needs' is bollox.

This open skies stuff is good innit?

I emailed their Jim French to very politely suggest that someone has a look at the IOM-LPL schedules as the last flight back to the island is at an early 1745. This is less than convenient for businessmen or inward travellers from Europe. I've just had a nicely worded supply from one of his minions that really said "tough, that's how it is!". Whilst I didn't expect anything else it does illustrate that their mealy-mouthed utterings of 'understanding an island's needs' is bollox.

This open skies stuff is good innit?

If a late Liverpool service was to be run, then either the Gatwick, Manchester or Luton would have to be dropped - there isn't a spare plane to run a late LPL. I suppose they've done their research and reckon they'll get more on the others than the LPL. They do listen - the powers that be were persuaded to make the Saturday late LPL service later to accomodate those going shopping or off to see a footie match.

Maybe there's a market for Manx 2 (or anyone else) to run a late LPL service ??? - that's what open skies is all about.

Euromanx! the worst airline to take to the air BAR NON , the old Cambrian in the sixties was miles better, sorry about the job losses ect,

too expensive, cheaper to fly to New York.......

I think that's a pretty stupid comparison with the competition on NY flights and quantity of seats available. I'm also pretty sure it's bullshit.

Not Bullshit... I could have taken my family for holiday in Florida including hotel for same price as flying back to Isle of Man

Hi Bob, Oh I understand why it's at that time and someone more cynical than me might say they've therefore bitten off more than they could chew. I know for a fact that one of their Q400 drivers made the same point to JF when the IOM-LPL service started (Hey, it wasn't you was it?) They don't really care about anything other than the bottom line which in itself is a product of open skies.

My point is that is that a 25+ year (OK with one or two hiccups) good service to LPL has been replaced by a mediocre one. As LPL has evolved mightily in the last three years with very significant increases in Ryanair and easyJet routes this is a big problem for onward travelers to the Island. The route I travel regularly has a daily service from europe but is either late or early depending which day it is. Avoiding weekends for obvious reasons limits a reasonable connection to here to two out of those 7 flights a week unless an overnight in Liverpool is suffered.

As to open skies policy allowing another carrier to operate a late flight, both you and I know that will never happen*. Punter thinks "now let me see, I'm arriving from wherever at 1730 so that means Manx2 or whoever" no hang on a minute its a Wednesday that means its earlier at LPL I'll go FlyBe." It wouldn't work would it?

* love to be proved wrong. I might even eat some that pie.

Tuned into the radio this morning and caught the news presenter saying something about people who booked with euromanx and had flights after October...can anyone enlighten me to what was said please??

Was it the office of fair trading saying something?????

Thanks!!!

Not Bullshit... I could have taken my family for holiday in Florida including hotel for same price as flying back to Isle of Man

Show me some proof.

When I can be arsed I will - stop being such a doubter! I came back with a 2 year old and four year old and wife (yes and golf clubs) paid £680 +

Silly deals going to Florida (and sure the accomodation wasnt the best) I would have paid a couple of pounds more. Maybe it was benefit of exchange rate I dont know

I have just come across some of the CM comments regarding the Euromanx fiasco...

"Noraml maintenance base in Exeter" I think was what he said when referring to the early morning departure minutes before they ceased trading.

Apparently, everyone at the Airport knows that these Austrain based aircraft have always gone back to either Austria or Germany for their maintenance!

The other Dash 8 was flown to Exeter a few weeks before - never came back - and again the word was that it had a full 'return to owner' type check. There were even stories that it had been repainted for a new operator!

It apperas most of the staff knew what was going on except the Management!

I didn't manage to catch the whole of the Sunday Opinion programme today, but what I heard while in the car from Mrs Reynolds made me wonder even more who is responsible for policy and who is responsible for running the airport within that policy? She seemed to talk at length about policy issues, whereas the politician (the clue is in the name) was pretty quiet about policy.

This is not to say that Mrs R is responsible in any way for the Euromanx debacle, but it does make you wonder just how savvy our politicos really are. (Darn, I have just answered my own question, but that is rhetoric for you.)

Slightly off topic - I thought I'd book a long weekend for me and the bitch to go to Jersey. Went to Blue Islands website and had a look for June and July. For 2 adults it is £590 return. This is Jersey in the Channel Islands not New Jersey in the US! This dawg ain't paying that sort of money to travel 350 miles (700 miles round trip).

For 2 adults it is £590 return. This is Jersey in the Channel Islands not New Jersey in the US! This dawg ain't paying that sort of money to travel 350 miles (700 miles round trip).

I think that's what they call a 'short - break broke'.

Slightly off topic - I thought I'd book a long weekend for me and the bitch to go to Jersey. Went to Blue Islands website and had a look for June and July. For 2 adults it is £590 return. This is Jersey in the Channel Islands not New Jersey in the US! This dawg ain't paying that sort of money to travel 350 miles (700 miles round trip).

Sounds like this route to Jersey is designed for business travel and not holiday makers :angry:

Shame it's so expensive. Would've liked to go myself.

It can be done cheaper. Try checking out ebookers. They (were at least) cheaper on the direct flight but more importantly (if you don't mind a connecting flight) WAY cheaper the two flight option (Southampton iirc).

This was Guernsey and not Jersey but it should be fairly similiar tbh (might even be cheaper via Jersey as I think they have more destinations/flight times.

Archived