[BBC News] Road improvement scheme completed

Newsbot

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I tried going round the red circle in the wagon today and there's no chance of avoiding it

The red circle is far too wide, I went straight through the roundabout yesterday (Douglas to Onchan), and even in a car felt I had to look to my left as I felt I was encroaching the lane to my left as the red circle 'forces' you so far left. The red circle should be half its diameter. No way trucks can avoid going over part of it. Is it actually an 'offence' to drive over the red circle though?

You'd think someone out of the 707 people that work for the DoT (I bet it's far more now, cos that staff figure on the DoT website hasn't changed in the 2 years I've been on MF!) would know what they are doing by now. Perhaps with the amount of people they employ they are working on the assumption: 'with an infinite number of monkeys, one day we will eventually complete all the great road works, properly and on time'.

I tried going round the red circle in the wagon today and there's no chance of avoiding it

The red circle is far too wide, I went straight through the roundabout yesterday (Douglas to Onchan), and even in a car felt I had to look to my left as I felt I was encroaching the lane to my left as the red circle 'forces' you so far left. The red circle should be half its diameter. No way trucks can avoid going over part of it. Is it actually an 'offence' to drive over the red circle though?

You'd think someone out of the 707 people that work for the DoT (I bet it's far more now, cos that staff figure on the DoT website hasn't changed in the 2 years I've been on MF!) would know what they are doing by now. Perhaps with the amount of people they employ they are working on the assumption: 'with an infinite number of monkeys, one day we will eventually complete all the great road works, properly and on time'.

Obviously neither of you two have bothered reading the highway code, the red circle is the over run for large vehicles so they can legally drive over it but must avoid the small white circle, all other road users should count the red circle as a roundabout and avoid it, bar taxi drivers and lycra clad wankers cyclists who seem do do what they fucking well like. :whatever:

Obviously neither of you two have bothered reading the highway code, the red circle is the over run for large vehicles so they can legally drive over it but must avoid the small white circle, all other road users should count the red circle as a roundabout and avoid it, bar taxi drivers and lycra clad wankers cyclists who seem do do what they fucking well like. :whatever:

Is this in the UK or the manx highway code, If its in the manx then Ive not noticed it.

Is this in the UK or the manx highway code, If its in the manx then Ive not noticed it.

I don't know if it's in the Highway code, but that's certainly as it's intended to be used. At least according to Manx Radio's "Live on the scene reporter" the other day.

It's the same with the ones with cobbles. You're meant to drive round them as they are part of the roundabout. The only reason the cobble/red circle is there is for HGVs etc that need extra space.

Assuming people go around the roundabout, then there is plenty of room for 3 cars to be circulating at once and filtering off where required. Unfortunately about 50% of people seem to be driving straight over the red bit at 30mph, so the roundabout doesn't work because everyone has to stop and make sure it's safe to enter.

There's nothing wrong with the roundabout, and in theory no one should ever need to stop. It's just people drive too quickly and take the wrong line through it.

Neither have I noticed a red circle around a roundabout.... but I may have missed something?

There's nothing wrong with the roundabout, and in theory no one should ever need to stop. It's just people drive too quickly and take the wrong line through it.

Except when there's a car heading your way from your right??

The roundabout is huge. If everyone slows to a sensible speed you should be able to filter in and just come off at your required exit. But they don't, so you can't.

Except when there's a car heading your way from your right??

The old roundabout was simple enough. I am yet to see how this new one will help the traffic flow? In the mornings, driving from Onchan... I can count the cars that want to turn right up towards governors hill on one hand. Everyone wants to go straight on into Douglas.

According to the budget, there are the equivalent of 730.12 full-time employees at the DoT. However, this is, of course, to be sub-divided between the four divisions (Highways, Harbours, Drainage and Property), the airport and management.

When I'm coming down from the nook, wanting to turn right into Douglas, and I see a car on my right in the lane towards Onchan... trust me, I'm waiting for them to pass me before I drive out in front of them.

Right or wrong... I'd rather not cause an accident. ;)

When I'm coming down from the nook, wanting to turn right into Douglas, and I see a car on my right in the lane towards Onchan... trust me, I'm waiting for them to pass me before I drive out in front of them.

Right or wrong... I'd rather not cause an accident. ;)

Agreed, and I do the same because otherwise someone beeps at you. The point is if everyone employed a bit of common sense and slowed on the approach, evaluated the situauition, and filtered in it would work much better.

Will never happen though, as those who try it will get rammed and beeped at by the people flying straight over the roundabout from Douglas at a steady 30mph. But of course since they aren't breaking the speed limit they are safe drivers ;)

its the other roundabout that is the problem, if your coming up victoria road and people come across from onchan direction without slowing down, you can't see them and have to edge out slowly, and then when you do go, they beep at you, FGS, if they slowed down and approached like a roundabout then everyone would have a chance....

personally this red monster in the road, which to be honest does not stand out as part of the roundabout, i drive over it... if i didn't the cars behind me would overtake me over the red bit whilst I spent 10 minutes trying to circumnavigate it!

The discussion about how drivers should use mini roundabouts is very interesting; the UK Highway Code offers the following advice:

The Highway Code states that mini roundabouts

should be approached in the

same way as normal roundabouts and that

‘all vehicles MUST pass round the central

markings except large vehicles which are

physically incapable of doing so’. It also

reminds drivers that there is ‘less space to

manoeuvre and less time to signal’.

If you really would like to become an expert on mini roundabouts download the following UK Gov. guidelines (53 pages)

http://www.dft.gov.uk/pgr/roads/tss/gpg/mi...odpracticeguide

Should you still be awake remember the key words are the “Central Markings”.

John

Archived