[BBC News] Road improvement scheme completed

Newsbot

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Why oh why did they make the approach lands from Onchan so narrow? It's not possible for two cars to be side by side using both of the lanes. The lane to turn right has an island at an odd angle presenting the driver with the corner of a curb stone and then you have some crazy curb stone ring in the middle of nowhere around the round about.

Sorry to rant but the DoT have failed badly, again.

I took a picture before the tarmac was layed and think the DOT have done a good job in getting their angles right and it looks like half a metre deep of tarmac had to be used in places .

I do agree with maggle's statement though and would like to see that area widened. The crossing would need to be further back towards Onchan to make it work properly.

Obviously there's some confusion over the red brickwork and I would suggest that the DOT paint either a picture of a truck or large vehicle on it, or write the words HGV on it. This should hopefully rectify the situation

I saw it starting to back up towards Onchan as I head to work today.

The fact is in the morning the majority of traffic through there comes from the mountain road and with a roundabout anything coming from Onchan has to give way so regardless of the size of the roundabout queues will build up.

When I had to go into Douglas for an interview last year it actually took me longer to get into Douglas from Onchan than it took me to get from Onchan to Ramsey.

The fact is that junction needs traffic lights rather than a roundabout to make the flow of traffic more even but I dare say that would interfere with the line for the TT so they can't possibly do that

I’m surprised that no one has noticed the obvious incorrect signage at the new roundabout. At the approach to the roundabout the usual illuminated signs with the blue circle and white arrows tell you to “keep left”. However the similar signs on the centre of the roundabout have the arrow pointing to the “9 o’clock” position, which according to the highway code is a “sign giving orders” telling you to turn left, not keep left! (Google “Highway code” and see for yourself)

So if you are coming down the TT course you are not allowed to go right towards Douglas, you have to turn left towards Onchan. Similar on all 3 approach roads – you have to turn left!!

Do any of the DOT planners have a copy of the correct signage?

Maybe so... I had't really noticed them thingy's in the middle.... but amuse myself watching cars drive straight OVER the red circle as they go by! ..tee-hee, always makes me smile.

to be fair though, it's probably somewhat safer than driving around it... gee, it's a long way round!!! Are there two lanes around that circle? or just in the approach to it?... haven't really seen it in action, but it sure looks tight. To drive straight on into Onchan (from Douglas) it looks as if you have to cross over slightly into the lane that is to turn left up towards Governors.. ?

Ok, I've had a few days to use this junction now and to be honest, I think it has potential to improve traffic flow from all directions. However, there are a few things that need tweaking:

1/ widen the lanes in the Onchan to Douglas bound carriageway.

2/ Take the plants out and replace with pavements between the entry and exit of the dip. Visibility is already poor due to the placement of the junction off the mountain, when the plants grow, visibility will be reduced.

3/ Improve the visibility to the right of the junction for traffic heading towards Douglas from Onchan.

4/ Admit the big red circle is a total, complete and utter waste of time and stop trying kid people that this is a full size roundabout. Why have the DoT painted the red circle?

The road isn't wide enough for a full size roundabout so they created a white dot with lights on and painted a red circle around it with the instruction, don't drive on the red bit if you're not a HGV.

Don't drive on the red bit? Yeah, whatever.

I drive straight over the red circle - only a compulsive buffoon would go round it.
Say no more :whatever:

same with the cobbles at the sea terminal and bus station though people are less willing to drive on the 'bumps' i can't see how this will improve traffic flow much as you need longer alternate lanes on the approach to make any difference. it is still a roundabout with 3 roads as it was before, just a bigger roundabout.

Archived