[BBC News] Road improvement scheme completed

Newsbot

Well, I will readily admit that the first few times I travelled from Douglas to Onchan I cut well into the red bit, cause it seemed an unnatural jaunt off to the left to go round it.

Both from Onchan and from the Nook though seem to fit quite well with the road positioning, so I don't see too much of a problem there (other than the thin lanes as mentioned above).

Anyway, went hoem earlier today from D to O and proceeded as I have now been advised to (ala around the outer ring), only to have the person behind me cut the red bit and end up practically alongside my drivers door overtaking me!

Think it's safer to cut the bastard thing.

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Stu and Hannay seemed to just concentrate on the red circle part of the roundabout. I'd have hoped that Stu would also have asked about the narrowness of the lanes approaching the roundabout and the apparent lack of space for two cars side by side on the roundabout if the red area is out of bounds to the cars.

i've talked to someone that was on talking heads, ALL the questions you hear on air have been 'passed/vetted' by who ever the guest is. if any dodgy ones come in via email or text or phone they don't get dealt with. people go on talking heads to put their view or the party line accross and answer questions of little or no consequence to appear to be open about things. a certain bint from the airy port deliberately mislead in an asnwer, but put 'i think you'll find' infront of her totally 'incorrect answer' and that was the end of the subject.

does anyone have any measurements of the lane widths ?

minimum lane width should be 3metres, max 3.65metres

Design of mini roundabouts and other road markings are here and I don't see any red bits or rumble zones on the layout of mini roundabouts in the DfT 'bible'

It seems that a considerable number of works carried out by the DoT are not designed or implemented in accordance with designs and specifications issued by the rest of the government bodies around the British Isles. The roundabouts are wrong, speed bumps are wrong, road markings are wrong, approach signs to roundabouts are wrong. So many errors, time to get the camera out I think.

Im not sure if anyone has mentioned them cones that are in place at Govs bridge yet but does anyone know why they are there :wacko:

They are training cones to show the 'correct' way to go around the roundabout and avoid going over the red area.

Im not sure if anyone has mentioned them cones that are in place at Govs bridge yet but does anyone know why they are there :wacko:

They are training cones to show the 'correct' way to go around the roundabout and avoid going over the red area.

Pathetic - blaming Joe Public by 'training' him how to use a badly designed roooondaboot. Do we all have to take an exam in a few weeks?

Yes. I have experienced the cones.

I like the way when travelling towards Onchan you now have to take a sharp turn to the left to negotiate the roundabout now.

I will be amazed if nobody manages to sideswipe the car in the lane to the left before the month is out

Things are bound to go awry as long as they as they are run by a 'futwatsuha*'

(Please note that this term - 'fat useless twat with a thumb stuck up his ass' - is not intended to be applied to any specific individual, although you may feel free to use your imagination).

again from the road design bible

8.13 In no circumstances may annular rings be

added around the central disc. If a more conspicuous

central marking is necessary, a larger disc, up to a

maximum of 4m should be used. If the junction area

is very large, the diameter of the circulatory arrow

marking should be increased to a maximum of 10m.

with the length of the arrows correspondingly

increased to 4.45m.

Conspicuity may be further enhanced by replacing

the normal central warning line on the approach

with a hatched marking to diagram 1040.

I think they burried the rule book when they first did the QB - if not long before then.

again from the road design bible

8.13 In no circumstances may annular rings be

added around the central disc. If a more conspicuous

central marking is necessary, a larger disc, up to a

maximum of 4m should be used. If the junction area

is very large, the diameter of the circulatory arrow

marking should be increased to a maximum of 10m.

with the length of the arrows correspondingly

increased to 4.45m.

Conspicuity may be further enhanced by replacing

the normal central warning line on the approach

with a hatched marking to diagram 1040.

Archived