[BBC News] Cyclist knocked over in path row

Newsbot

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply
is it legally a cycle path or just painted lines?

It's got no separate legal status from my investigations.

As it's illegal to ride on a footpath (which the prom is) didn't the Government have to change or amend a law before the cycleway could be put on the prom?

is it legally a cycle path or just painted lines?

It's got no separate legal status from my investigations.

As it's illegal to ride on a footpath (which the prom is) didn't the Government have to change or amend a law before the cycleway could be put on the prom?

dont be daft, they do what they want and change the law after if something happens. like the traffic wardens that weren't, so some people ( not wholesale refunds ) didn't have to pay. you will now find that old guy that got pushed of his bike on the 'cycle path' that wasn't gets done by jobsworth for riding on a pavement??

There's some kind of bi-law type thing allowing cycling on the whole of the walkway, separate from regular pavements.

I think half the problem is that the cycleway is alongside the sea wall, which when out for a stroll is where a lot of pedestrians also want to walk and look out to sea/at the beach and so on. I feel it might be better if the cycleway was on the inside of the walkway...

I think half the problem is that the cycleway is alongside the sea wall, which when out for a stroll is where a lot of pedestrians also want to walk and look out to sea/at the beach and so on. I feel it might be better if the cycleway was on the inside of the walkway...

The problem with that idea is that someone crossing the road between parked cars can't see cyclists - so they step out onto the pavement from behind a van parked on the road and "wham" get hit by a bike.

Where it is is now has the best visibility - and IMHO is the safest for all users. Something as simple (and cheap) as a few signs on the railings pointing out the cycle lane could help.

Bottom line though wherever you put it someone will complain !

The problem is, it's a promenade walkway, not a racing track. If the spandex speedfreaks want to train for racing, they should do so on the road.

The problem is, it's a promenade walkway, not a racing track. If the spandex speedfreaks want to train for racing, they should do so on the road.

Are you suggesting that the pensioner with a bell on his bike (as referred to in this thread and news item) was a spandex clad racer ?

Are you suggesting that the pensioner with a bell on his bike (as referred to in this thread and news item) was a spandex clad racer ?

I've seen a few latex clad pensioners pootling round on their bikes recently.

Always a disturbing sight

What is it about our mentality that people need to get aggressive about sharing a wide footpath - man tings bell for pedestrians to get of HIS way; pedestrians wallop man for asking THEM to move aside? For all I know they may all be pensioners but it sounds like all three had bad potty training as children.

Lived in Tokyo and the narrow footpaths there were shared amicably between pedestrians and cyclists plus shopkeepers. Mind you none of the cyclists wore lycra or used the footpath for Tour de France training - evryone just accepted live and let live. Maybe there is too much space on the prom...speed humps for bikes???

Heh, no, I'm talking generally about the cycleway. This incident at the top sounds like a couple people who really need to chill.

I can't say I'm surprised but usually its the other way around with a couple of old gimmers getting in the way of the bike your riding.

I'm guessing that a 70 year old bloke is not a member of the lycra clad speed freaks which makes it more baffling. Therefore I'm guessing its the bell scenario above as there's nothing worse than someone pathetically dinging their bell at you like a demented microwave.

Archived