More Dot Madness

Jimcalagon

Who is in charge at the DOT?  

71 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Mr Davidson said the roundabout created an adverse affect on the management of traffic flows.

So who 'designed' the current road layout in that area and built it then, the pixies or a bunch of tossers who couldn't find their backsides with both hands?

Tesco designed and built that road and roundabout.

With or without planning permission?

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It may be noted that when a private developer builds a road on their own land all that is required is that the construction meets regulations for the developer to request that the road be adopted as a public highway, if the developer decides to put roundabouts in stupid places that is up to him so long as it complies with the regulations. On a second note the roundabout near Tesco is not there for morons to do a u-turn when coming from South Quay to get back along North Quay, hence the removal of the roundabout will make it more awkward for the dickheads who do this and cause 90% of the traffic holdups on the station corner.

No, the 'dickheads' are the ones who not only decided to 'pedestrianise' (American crap - verbing a noun!) the portion of North Quay from Clinches to Quine's Corner, but also made it virtually inaccessible to traffic arriving from the south of the island - thus creating an unnecessary and annoying bottleneck on the South Quay.

It may be noted that when a private developer builds a road on their own land all that is required is that the construction meets regulations for the developer to request that the road be adopted as a public highway, if the developer decides to put roundabouts in stupid places that is up to him so long as it complies with the regulations.

But that is NOT private land - it runs past the railway station, what used to be the DIY shop, Steam Sawmill (now Heritage Homes Car Park) and various other non-Tesco buildings/establishments.

On a second note the roundabout near Tesco is not there for morons to do a u-turn when coming from South Quay to get back along North Quay, hence the removal of the roundabout will make it more awkward for the dickheads who do this and cause 90% of the traffic holdups on the station corner.

The roundabout is on a public road and there are no signs or other directions advising motorists that they should not use this route so anyone is well within their rights to drive a road legal vehicle that way. The alternative route is about four or five times longer via a swing bridge (which is not always open), a very congested roundabout and bus station.

The real 'dickheads' are the people who removed the traffic lights which managed the junction by the railway quite effectively and changed the road layout so that the only way to get to North Quay from the bridge was via the pre-existing roundabout. And who did that? Here's a clue - it wasn't Tesco.

No, the 'dickheads' are the ones who not only decided to 'pedestrianise' (American crap - verbing a noun!) the portion of North Quay from Clinches to Quine's Corner, but also made it virtually inaccessible to traffic arriving from the south of the island - thus creating an unnecessary and annoying bottleneck on the South Quay.

So what your saying is cars have priority over pedestrians, why not make strand street an open road and get rid of all pavements just so lazy drivers have to walk less or dont get stuck in those nasty little traffic jams that are so annoying and unfair boo hoo, my heart pumps purple piss for you.

So what your saying is cars have priority over pedestrians,

No, I'm saying that they co-existed pretty well before the DoT - with its customary level of incompetence - stepped in and f**ked it all up.

It may be noted that when a private developer builds a road on their own land all that is required is that the construction meets regulations for the developer to request that the road be adopted as a public highway, if the developer decides to put roundabouts in stupid places that is up to him so long as it complies with the regulations.

But that is NOT private land - it runs past the railway station, what used to be the DIY shop, Steam Sawmill (now Heritage Homes Car Park) and various other non-Tesco buildings/establishments.

On a second note the roundabout near Tesco is not there for morons to do a u-turn when coming from South Quay to get back along North Quay, hence the removal of the roundabout will make it more awkward for the dickheads who do this and cause 90% of the traffic holdups on the station corner.

The roundabout is on a public road and there are no signs or other directions advising motorists that they should not use this route so anyone is well within their rights to drive a road legal vehicle that way. The alternative route is about four or five times longer via a swing bridge (which is not always open), a very congested roundabout and bus station.

The real 'dickheads' are the people who removed the traffic lights which managed the junction by the railway quite effectively and changed the road layout so that the only way to get to North Quay from the bridge was via the pre-existing roundabout. And who did that? Here's a clue - it wasn't Tesco.

Of course they are in their legal rights to drive that way and have a total disregard for other road users, no doubt they are the same people who drive around with a mobile to their ear or don,t know how to use a roundabout. It seems this thread is populated by a team of chartered highways engineers who know they can do better than the DOT but for some strange reason cannot come up with a better solution themselves or be bothered to apply for the vacancies there.

So what your saying is cars have priority over pedestrians,

No, I'm saying that they co-existed pretty well before the DoT - with its customary level of incompetence - stepped in and f**ked it all up.

I repeat are you saying pedestrians shouldnt have a right to have car free area

The road/roundabout area when first built was on private land it was adopted later, as for changing the road to ease North Quay, no shit Sherlock I would never have guessed that was the idea, of course they are in their legal rights to drive that way and have a total disregard for other road users, no doubt they are the same people who drive around with a mobile to their ear or don,t know how to use a roundabout. It seems this thread is populated by a team of chartered highways engineers who know they can do better than the DOT but for some strange reason cannot come up with a better solution themselves or be bothered to apply for the vacancies there.

So, can anyone explain why the word 'farcical' keeps popping into my head whenever anyone mentions the DoT?

The road/roundabout area when first built was on private land it was adopted later,

So all the pre-existing premises, businesses (e.g. diy shop, Steam sawmill), including the bus depot (which BTW is closer to the roundabout than Tesco is) weren't servied by this road before Tesco opened?

as for changing the road to ease North Quay, no shit Sherlock I would never have guessed that was the idea,

I never mentioned changing the road to ease North Quay, Watson.

of course they are in their legal rights to drive that way and have a total disregard for other road users,

Correct on the first point, incorrect on the second. How driving along a legal roadway equates to having complete disregard for other road users is something I think you need to explain more fully. If only for the entertainment value it would provide.

no doubt they are the same people who drive around with a mobile to their ear or don,t know how to use a roundabout.

I thought the problem here was that they all know how to use a roundabout - it's just that you and your DOT comrades don't want them to use that one?

It seems this thread is populated by a team of chartered highways engineers who know they can do better than the DOT but for some strange reason cannot come up with a better solution themselves or be bothered to apply for the vacancies there.

If I had a mate/relative in management in the DOT or enough money to grease the right palms then it might be worth applying. On recent form it seems that ability and common-sense are not pre-requisites for employment at that particular establishment.

I thought the problem here was that they all know how to use a roundabout - it's just that you and your DOT comrades don't want them to use that one?

I think you may have guessed wrong there I do not work for the DoT nor do I know anyone who works for the highways division, I made comments from observation and research. It just pisses me off when unqualified people seem to take pleasure in slating down those who are qualified in the said subject, if they make mistakes then it is up to their peers to sort it not a lynch mob based on guess work. How would you like it if one of the street cleaners with no knowledge of what you do came into your place of work and started ripping to pieces all the work you do.

Archived