More Dot Madness

Jimcalagon

Who is in charge at the DOT?  

71 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

"those who are qualified in said subject"

I hope you're not actually referring to DOT?? When I recognise people who work for them... who I knew from school... who left with no qualifications whatsoever... or an education.. it worries me slightly.

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I hope you're not actually referring to DOT?? When I recognise people who work for them... who I knew from school... who left with no qualifications whatsoever... or an education.. it worries me slightly.

Just for your information, and I have it from a good source that there are people who work on the roads, rivers, bridges harbours, and the airport doing manual work that do have qualifications.

Of course they are in their legal rights to drive that way and have a total disregard for other road users, no doubt they are the same people who drive around with a mobile to their ear or don,t know how to use a roundabout. It seems this thread is populated by a team of chartered highways engineers who know they can do better than the DOT but for some strange reason cannot come up with a better solution themselves or be bothered to apply for the vacancies there.

Why is someone who drives a vehicle on a road in abidance with the highway code considered a "dick Head" and put in the same class as some moron who drives around blatantly flouting the law using their mobile phone whilst driving? Surley this is the same as classing all drivers who use Groves road to avoid Quarterbridge as dickheads?

What is needed is less emotion and more thought before posting in response to some of the posts that are clearly there to wind you up! As they say "Reel 'em in".

What is needed is less emotion and more thought before posting in response to some of the posts that are clearly there to wind you up! As they say "Reel 'em in".

Have you ever considered that if you bait the winders up they respond even more :weee:

I thought the problem here was that they all know how to use a roundabout - it's just that you and your DOT comrades don't want them to use that one?

I think you may have guessed wrong there I do not work for the DoT nor do I know anyone who works for the highways division, I made comments from observation and research. It just pisses me off when unqualified people seem to take pleasure in slating down those who are qualified in the said subject, if they make mistakes then it is up to their peers to sort it not a lynch mob based on guess work. How would you like it if one of the street cleaners with no knowledge of what you do came into your place of work and started ripping to pieces all the work you do.

Are you taking the piss out of street cleaners? For the record I happen to be a street cleaner and it's a bloody difficult job, you cheeky bastard!

It's never going to be perfect because of the geography / physical constraints, unless you want North Quay to become a busy thoroughfare as opposed to an attempt to make the most of the inner harbour on its 'town' side, which I consider to be a good idea.

I also don't understand where the people who currently use the Tesco roundabout route are going and why its seemingly quicker than the South Quay route - presumably via Quine's Coroner and Lord Street to Ridgeway Street / Shaws Brow? Maybe that needs to be examined in the context of any improvements.

Perhaps as has been suggested if the signals were timed differently on Lord Street (in favour of traffic coming off or going onto the Prom / South Quay) it'd be better, as it might be if some of the Prom traffic was encouraged to use Finch Road rather than getting into the melee near the Lord Street police station.

Any way, I normally work to work

What a thoroughly insulting comment. Do you expect anyone digging holes in the road to have a degree in civil engineering? Its a good honest job what is your problem? They are not the ones paid to create the mess the DOT is making of the Island they are just doing what they are paid to do. That really was a terrible generalisation.

I also don't understand where the people who currently use the Tesco roundabout route are going and why its seemingly quicker than the South Quay route - presumably via Quine's Coroner and Lord Street to Ridgeway Street / Shaws Brow? Maybe that needs to be examined in the context of any improvements.

if you want to go up through town via ridgeway st you are let into the flow of traffic coming down lord st heading towards the sea terminal by traffic lights. if you go via the swing bridge, you have to queue back past the roundabout by the gas board and wait till everything going along the prom has shuffled round. you can't blame people for not wanting to spend 15 minutes in a queue for nothing. there are not enough routes into douglas to take the traffic that wants into the town in a reasonable length of time.

going back to the roundabout round the oak tree at bradden bridge, the folks coming from the hospital direction now form a queue onto the roundabout from the exit to QB, so the cars with right of way from U mills have no where to go when the traffic eventually moves towards QB. those that enter the roundabout from the U mills direction then block the stuff coming out from the hospital direction turning right and also the stuff coming from QB that wants to go towards the hospital. it's worse now than before. they really ought to put traffic lights on the roundabout like some of the bigger ones on UK motorways to give both directions a chance.

those that enter the roundabout from the U mills direction then block the stuff coming out from the hospital direction turning right and also the stuff coming from QB that wants to go towards the hospital. it's worse now than before. they really ought to put traffic lights on the roundabout like some of the bigger ones on UK motorways to give both directions a chance.

There should be 'keep clear' sections marked to prevent this but suspect the roundabout is too small with the junctions too close - again we are paying for the TT magic line - both Braddan bridge + QB should have been properly designed and damn the TT

those that enter the roundabout from the U mills direction then block the stuff coming out from the hospital direction turning right and also the stuff coming from QB that wants to go towards the hospital. it's worse now than before. they really ought to put traffic lights on the roundabout like some of the bigger ones on UK motorways to give both directions a chance.

There should be 'keep clear' sections marked to prevent this but suspect the roundabout is too small with the junctions too close - again we are paying for the TT magic line - both Braddan bridge + QB should have been properly designed and damn the TT

Its all very well leaving a space on the roundabout to let traffic through from the school road to bradden but all that happens is traffic also coming from school road to go to QB filters in so you could be there all day.

Its all very well leaving a space on the roundabout to let traffic through from the school road to bradden but all that happens is traffic also coming from school road to go to QB filters in so you could be there all day.

i did point that out too, but there in lies the problem with a roundabout there. it can't work well for stuff coming from U mills the used to have right of way and block the stuff coming down from the school. now the roundabout gives the school the advantage even though they should still be giving way to the stuff from U mills.

Just for your information, and I have it from a good source that there are people who work on the roads, rivers, bridges harbours, and the airport doing manual work that do have qualifications.

Sorry, I think my post was a little unclear.

My comments "I hope you're not actually referring to DOT??" was in reference to jimbms comments.

The rest of my post was a seperate point, and should be a seperate paragraph - though both are similar in reference to 'qualifications' - but of a different kind!

What a thoroughly insulting comment. Do you expect anyone digging holes in the road to have a degree in civil engineering? Its a good honest job what is your problem? They are not the ones paid to create the mess the DOT is making of the Island they are just doing what they are paid to do. That really was a terrible generalisation.

I think you misunderstood me - though I wasn't very clear!

see above. :)

Archived