More Dot Madness

Jimcalagon

Who is in charge at the DOT?  

71 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

• 3 months later...
  • Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Oh joy, it's approved!

http://www.iomtoday.co.im/news/Removal-of-...t-is.4335698.jp

PLANS to remove the mini-roundabout on the approach to Tesco, Douglas, have been approved....

...DoT highways schemes manager Jim Davidson said it was hoped the replacement would ease traffic delays. ...

...He added that using the mini-roundabout was not the 'recognised route' to access Douglas.

Correct - the proper route is to go over the bridge and simply turn right into north quay, without the lap of honour towards Tesco and back - works a treat....

A lot of very upset people on that iomtoday page :D

The bridge thing - surely they don't allow it to lift at peak times anyway?

Lord Street roundabouts - The biggest problem with these is the fuckwits that drive onto them when either their exit road isn't clear, or when it isn't there right of way.

...DoT highways schemes manager Jim Davidson said it was hoped the replacement would ease traffic delays. ...

At least he admits that his department runs on hope.

Fucking idiots. I challenged their plan for this in person during the QB debarcle. I added the idea of opening up the lane that runs next to the old EB Christians site and making that the main route into Tescos, THEN only traffic that needed to use the roundabout to get into town would use it. People leaving/arriving at Tescos would not need to use it at all unless they were going into lower douglas after their shopping.

I was told that a) They would need to 'ask' for land off Dandara which wasn't going to happen and b) They basically could not give a rat's arse to anyone else's opinion.

They also used the "We would need to ask the landowner for some of the land" bollocks when I mentioned taking 3 metres of land off the rugby field to allow the widening of the peel road section from the new Braddan bridge roundabout to the QB, thus increasing the capacity of that stretch at peak times.

YOU CAN COMPULSERY PURCHASE, you did it to build a spangly new courthouse, why not do it to help the Island?

I added the idea of opening up the lane that runs next to the old EB Christians site and making that the main route into Tescos, THEN only traffic that needed to use the roundabout to get into town would use it. People leaving/arriving at Tescos would not need to use it at all unless they were going into lower douglas after their shopping.

I was told that a) They would need to 'ask' for land off Dandara which wasn't going to happen and b) They basically could not give a rat's arse to anyone else's opinion.

They also used the "We would need to ask the landowner for some of the land" bollocks

As far as I can find out, Dandara do not own the land in Lake Road where they have plonked their portacabins and thrown a fence round

The grassed over area was a part of Lake Road but was grassed over to form part of the new route to Tesco. It would appear to still be classed as part of the public highway and has not been bought by DD. I may be wrong but it looks like this valuablechunk of land has been annexed to form part of the development

If anyone knows different, I am all ears

You may be interested to learn that the DOT have drawn up plans to close Richmond Hill off for good. Plans have been sent to land owners who may be effected by a new four lane highway that is to be built down through Middle farm and surrounding land.

I find that hard to believe.

Richmond Hill is a major accident blackspot where quite a few people have died or been seriously injured over the years.

I can't imagine the DoT would have fixing it as a priority when there are pointless roundabouts to be built

Most of the traffic that uses the roundabout shortcut route in the mornings is destined for businesses on North Quay - Clinches building etc. There's very little if any congestion in the morning as there is only light traffic coming down Bank Hill. A lot of the traffic coming down Bank Hill in the morning is destined for the new parking spaces that have opened up across from Tescos. And therein lies the problem. The main congestion occurs in the evening when the car park empties and blocks the North Quay route up to Quines corner lights. At that hour of the evening very little if any traffic uses the roundabout shortcut from South Quay to North Quay.

So the net result of removing the roundabout is that it will have zero positive impact on the congestion in the evening. In the mornings it will just redirect all the traffic that needs to get to North Quay down by swing bridge, past the cop shop, up Lord street to the traffic lights at Bank Hill and down Bank Hill to get onto North Quay. Therefore all they will have achieved is moving the traffic that passes by the bottom of Bank Hill along a longer route to get onto and clog up Bank Hill before finally getting to North Quay.

Using Google Earth to measure, this adds exactly 1 km to the journey of people who need access to North Quay. Times that by say 200 cars. That's 200kms extra carbon emissions etc in the mornings. And it still does nothing to solve the main problem which is congestion in the evening.

Who gave planning permission for the temporary car park opposite Tesco? Without the, what, 150 cars or so in there, would we be having this traffic problem by the Railway?

Using Google Earth to measure, this adds exactly 1 km to the journey of people who need access to North Quay. Times that by say 200 cars. That's 200kms extra carbon emissions etc in the mornings. And it still does nothing to solve the main problem which is congestion in the evening.

To be honest I think we are past the stage now where we can just rearrange the road network and things will work out.

Archived