More Dot Madness

Jimcalagon

Who is in charge at the DOT?  

71 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I do the North quay tesco round about thing every morning to get to Ridgeway street. It is quicker. If all the people who do that are forced along South Quay, I will still go via Tesco, but stop to do a weekly shop and then continue my route. I will still be at Ridgeway Street quicker.

All the DOT need to do is allow traffic to turn right onto North Quay. That will give priority firstly to people coming down Banks Hill heading out of town. Secondly to people exiting Tescos/ car park. People coming down Banks Hill heading for tesco will have a fraction of the traffic to negotiate, so that problem is solved. People coming down Banks Hill heading across the bridge will have right of way, so problem solved. Most people coming into town are in the mornings when there is little traffic leaving tesco/ car park so people who want to turn right onto North Quay will have few problems. In the evenings, few people will want to turn right onto North Quay so traffic coming out of Tesco will have no problems.

It is all so simple but as it will not cost £1,000,000 to change a couple of road signs and the markings it will never happen. Before anyone accuses me of not being qualified in design, I have been a design consultant for over 20 years.

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

DOT officer demonstrating how to discipline errant motorist who dared to suggest a way of fixing a traffic problem that would cost less than £1,000,000

basil_fawlty.jpg

be warned....

Strange thing is will all the negativity here about Tesco roundabout is the fact on IOM Today 63% of people voted for it, seems common sense prevails

I never trust those polls, e.g. someone at the DoT could have sat clicking all afternoon.

For the quarter bridge roundabout plans for instance the poll result was: 12% They will make the junction worse; 38% They won't make a difference - a waste of money; 50% They will improve traffic flow.

Well of course it will improve traffic flow! Had there been a choice of 'you can improve traffic flow by doing something far cheaper and simpler' that would have got 90% of the poll I suspect. Anyone can get the answer they want if they ask the question they want - that's what's been wrong, and is democratically unacceptable, with most government consultations over recent years.

I never trust those polls, e.g. someone at the DoT could have sat clicking all afternoon.

For the quarter bridge roundabout plans for instance the poll result was: 12% They will make the junction worse; 38% They won't make a difference - a waste of money; 50% They will improve traffic flow.

Well of course it will improve traffic flow! Had there been a choice of 'you can improve traffic flow by doing something far cheaper and simpler' that would have got 90% of the poll I suspect. Anyone can get the answer they want if they ask the question they want - that's what's been wrong, and is democratically unacceptable, with most government consultations over recent years.

The truth is that the new round about is basically just a bigger version of what is there now, so no it will not improve traffic flow. Two things would. One, remove the lego. Proven time and time again it improves traffic flow. Two, make Peel road from QB 2 lanes all the way to Brown Bobby. Both of those will help. Removing tesco roundabout will make QB worse as more people will go that way.

Anyone can get the answer they want if they ask the question they want - that's what's been wrong, and is democratically unacceptable, with most government consultations over recent years.

The All Island Speed Limit poll was a case in point

One question was: "Are you in favour of road safety?"

Archived