[BBC News] Staff dispute on jail travel pay

Newsbot

thesultanofsheight

You need to include the price of a car? My arse you do. You own a car anyway. Everyone owns a car you use them for lots of things. Going to work is only one of them. Your telling me that nobody owns a car and now they're going to have to go out and buy one? Pure bollocks I'm afraid.

(Anyway haven't they given those that need it grants to buy cars?) Sorry they're not shouting about that one are they?

No, thats where your wrong and you can keep your arse where it is thank you. Just because they have to have a full car license, does not mean that they have to own a car, does it? So your train of thought is off AGAIN....... Your assumption that nobody owns a car is of course incorrect, but I understand that there are staff who are without transport, so that validates my cause of the discussion. I know nothing about grants for cars, could you verify that statement?

(1) Staff who were employed after the official opening date was announced will not receive payment

Yes thats fair because they knew about the move. How can that be in any way unfair?

Did I say it was unfair? Are you seeing into things more than they are?

(2) Staff who reside closer to the new prison than the old will not receive payment

Well why the hell should they. They are not that inconvienced are they?

Again, was any mention that this was unfair? It looked like a statement of fact. Are you seeing into things more than they are?

(3) Payment will be on a sliding scale; dependant on how close that person lives (worked out by Government Admin) This is the most direct route which in this case is The old Prison, Ramsey mountain road, through Tholt-y-Will and to Jurby. No additional payment will be made if the mountain road is closed (bad weather, TT etc) ;)

Jesus you want more money if the Mountain Road is closed as well. Maybe you'd like to live in the real world with all of us who put petrol in our own cars ourselves and them drive them to work. Because we have mortgage and therefore we have to.

Once again, mostly anyone could clearly see that it was a fact, not assumed, not claiming for anything extra, just a fact. Can't you see it or do I have to explain it very slowly?

I enjoy these meetings sultan and I have a hunch that you're bound to reply :cool:

• Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply

At its most basic, my sentiment is this: government employees are overpaid, underworked and mollycoddled, and it would do them no end of good to have a sense of what private sector employees - the people who pay their wages - go through.

At its most basic, my sentiment is this: government employees are overpaid, underworked and mollycoddled, and it would do them no end of good to have a sense of what private sector employees - the people who pay their wages - go through.

Do you think that the Government employees are needed then?

I enjoy these meetings sultan and I have a hunch that you're bound to reply :cool:

Every post you've ever made has been in the two prison threads so its clear what your motivation is for agrument - I hope the taxpayer does buy you a new car to make up for your inconvienience maybe they you'd want to keep stumm and stop posting crap.

In basic terms Tugger says it much better - the amount of mollycoddling that goes on to placate government workers to give them terms of employment substantially better than the people paying their wages is simply unbelievable. The fact that anyone expects sympathy on that basis is to me quite staggering.

Little Miss Moffatt could learn some lessons in reasoned argument from her Dad. The interview on MR this morning sounded more like the prison officers were a bit hacked off at the attention being given to the new site and not them. 'Twas almost tantrum-like.

Ironically was it not Moffatt Senior and the Celtic League that was responsible for putting pressure on the government via the european court to build the new prison in the firstplace?

Do you think that the Government employees are needed then?

Not in the numbers, or on the same terms, as is currently the case.

Every post you've ever made has been in the two prison threads so its clear what your motivation is for agrument - I hope the taxpayer does buy you a new car to make up for your inconvienience maybe they you'd want to keep stumm and stop posting crap.

In basic terms Tugger says it much better - the amount of mollycoddling that goes on to placate government workers to give them terms of employment substantially better than the people paying their wages is simply unbelievable. The fact that anyone expects sympathy on that basis is to me quite staggering.

Hahah, your arguments about me being a prison officer are completely wrong and by your way of assuming things, you must be a Tax man or an ex con :P

I gotta say though, most of my posts have been on two threads, mainly because I like a good debate and I gotta say, you are one heck of a Master Debater

Seriously though, I wouldn't like to do that job of those of Forces, Police, Fire, Ambulance etc, as it's easier making money out of other persuits. (we can argue more if you want)

Your employed on certain terms and conditions location, unless specified explicitly in your contract, is not one of them.

Most contracts of employment specify a place of work.

40p per mile is a standard recommended rate for travel reimbursement. People who know a lot more about these things than you do came up with the figure. Just because you don't understand this doesn't make it an extravagant rate.

Your employed on certain terms and conditions location, unless specified explicitly in your contract, is not one of them.

Most contracts of employment specify a place of work.

40p per mile is a standard recommended rate for travel reimbursement. People who know a lot more about these things than you do came up with the figure. Just because you don't understand this doesn't make it an extravagant rate.

I said - if you go back through the posts - that 40p was more than fair. But don't dress it up by saying they don't want to profit from the situation because that is what they are doing at 40p a mile. If you read the original BBC link they are saying that 40p is not fair and I was saying that 1). It is fair 2). It is better than your paying out for fuel so it is a profit, and 3). Its better than anyone else gets who have to pay their own petrol to get to work.

As for Pele:-

Hahah, your arguments about me being a prison officer are completely wrong and by your way of assuming things, you must be a Tax man or an ex con

Seriously though, I wouldn't like to do that job of those of Forces, Police, Fire, Ambulance etc, as it's easier making money out of other persuits. (we can argue more if you want)

I have to say you write like someone who likes watching grown men masturbate through a small window all week whilst drinking tea.

I don't think that's a lot of money when you take into account petrol and the wear and tear on your car. But I suppose it's better than nothing.

40p a mile is way too much for a car. I cost at 25p a mile for a lorry accounting for depreciation, insurance and so on.

What muppet costed a BMW mini at 40p a mile?

I do agree that any employee being forced to move should be compensated in the short term, obviously new employees shouldn't.

Of course nobody has to buy a car, just move to Jurby.

40p a mile is way too much for a car. I cost at 25p a mile for a lorry accounting for depreciation, insurance and so on.

What muppet costed a BMW mini at 40p a mile?

I do agree that any employee being forced to move should be compensated in the short term, obviously new employees shouldn't.

Of course nobody has to buy a car, just move to Jurby.

"What Car" quote the cost per mile (including fuel, depreciation, servicing and road tax but not insurance) as 30.2 pence for a Mini 1.4 3 door and 47.4 pence for a Cooper Cabrolet. All other models fall within this range, with a Cooper Clubman being 40.1 pence. Figures quoted as at Feb 2008.

Archived