Steam Packet To Buy U.s. Warship

Jimcalagon

US Navy never bought it, theyleased it to try it out, the lease expired. They handed it back

I cannot locate any info about its sea keeping and what height waves would restrict sailing but the US Navy had it on winter trials off Greenland

If they have found a fast craft which can sail for 360 days of the year in Irish sea conditions it may be OK

It is big enough to carry freight which the other two aren't so makes all year round sense and with the new floating road way onto the Liverrpool landing stage?

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply
US Navy never bought it, they leased it to try it out, the lease expired. They handed it back

Fair enough, but leased or bought, the point is the same. They don't want it and it would be interesting to know why I think.

I was told the Seacat could withstand heavy seas, but the passengers were less "seaworthy" in that vessel. It was for this reason that sailings are restricted. However, I have no hard evidence for that, so call it pub rumor.

Stay Frosty

If they bought this would they sell the Snaefell or the Viking?

The New Zealand navy have a vessel (HMNZS Canterbury) that is modelled on the Ben-my-Chree.

http://www.navy.mil.nz/visit-the-fleet/pro...rbury-specs.htm

So the Kiwis have a warship based on an IOMSPC ferry and the IOMSPC would like a catamaran that was a warship - who is more sensible?

If they bought this would they sell the Snaefell or the Viking?

The New Zealand navy have a vessel (HMNZS Canterbury) that is modelled on the Ben-my-Chree.

http://www.navy.mil.nz/visit-the-fleet/pro...rbury-specs.htm

So the Kiwis have a warship based on an IOMSPC ferry and the IOMSPC would like a catamaran that was a warship - who is more sensible?

That last line should actually read

So the Kiwis have a warship (actually a provisions ship and goods carrier, not a ship of the line) based on an IOMSPC ferry which was based on a long line of freight carriers and the IOMSPC would like a passenger freight catamaran converted from a vessel that was previously a warship (and proved itself in trials to the extent that the US have bought a new one) and before being converted into a warship had been a passenger catamaran - who is more sensible?

And the answer is horses for courses

Ben my Chree is a great dual purpose workhorse vessel, tried and tested and reliable, hated by the Manx at first but now accepted as good and reliable. In fact the design is so good that it is used all world over for ropax including supply to armed forces so the NZ lot got a tried and tested vessel

The current seacats are early generation, they are small and they bounce and thye have quite a light payload so no real freight. These later ones are heavier and faster and can be used multipurpose. There are really only two questions what wave heights restrictions apply and how uncomfortable are they when rough seas prevail. Given this one has ben all over the world and spent a winter in trials off Greenland, not the smoothest waters in the world, there should be an answer, if so we migt get a tried and tested fastcraft with winter sailing capabilities and capable of dual operation

The manufacturer may well receive a Tasmanian government incentive to sell or lease to IOMSPCo, just as it did to lease to the US military so as to prove the dcesign and grow the market

I'm glad the IOMSPCo are at least examining the market and as far as I can see neither incat, the boat builder, nor the ferry company who have decided against, are McQuarrie owned or influencedi

If they have found a fast craft which can sail for 360 days of the year in Irish sea conditions it may be OK

Depends, I suppose, upon your definition of fast, whether such a vessel even exists. There would also be other practicality factors including: fuel economy, passenger comfort and the size of the vessels - in terms of the number of vehicles it could handle.

There is no perfect fast craft. It's always a question of weighing up the relative benefits and potential problems. Any vessel will always be a compromise.

there's some good pix here

looks like mexicans ( if that's where mx is ?, expressferries.com.mx ) pulled out, their website doesn't do much

Reminds me of something from a James Bond Movie

Depends, I suppose, upon your definition of fast, whether such a vessel even exists. There would also be other practicality factors including: fuel economy, passenger comfort and the size of the vessels - in terms of the number of vehicles it could handle.

There is no perfect fast craft. It's always a question of weighing up the relative benefits and potential problems. Any vessel will always be a compromise.

Why not buy a sub and adapt it to ferry travel :D

Don't matter if the thing can do 80 knots it will still take ages to get into Liverpool because the winging scousers don't lake naughty big boats making waves and wetting the chavs drinking cheap cider on Formby beach :weee:

It is the Viking that will be replaced.

It is only on charter until 2010 (I think)

Does that explain why the Viking is registered in Liverpool not Douglas?

From the comments in the thread it sounds as if the INCAT they are looking at should be a reasonable sea boat so I hope they get it - and that they will be able to attract more tourists to come here.

Vikings charter terminates in July 2011 I think. Both Snaefell and Viking are registered in Liverpool as well.

The big INCAT's are vastly superior to anything that we have seen on the Island, the biggest and newest one has just run between two of the Islands in Japan without any problems all winter, these craft can do a lot better, and with the correct fit-out, will be fantastic to travel in.

I'm not suggesting for a minute that the images on this link will be any way representative, but this is what INCAT can do now.

Natchan Rera and Natchan World, (INCAT 064/065).

Archived