Steam Packet To Buy U.s. Warship

Jimcalagon

Vikings charter terminates in July 2011 I think. Both Snaefell and Viking are registered in Liverpool as well.

The big INCAT's are vastly superior to anything that we have seen on the Island, the biggest and newest one has just run between two of the Islands in Japan without any problems all winter, these craft can do a lot better, and with the correct fit-out, will be fantastic to travel in.

I'm not suggesting for a minute that the images on this link will be any way representative, but this is what INCAT can do now.

Natchan Rera and Natchan World, (INCAT 064/065).

Persons – 800

Cars – 355

Truck Lane Metres –

450 + 193 cars

Deadweight – up to 1380 tonnes

Speed – 38 – 47 knots

Power – 36000 kW

How does the other seacats compare to this one and can anyone work out how long it would take to get from IOM to Heysham and IOM to Liverpool?

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply
can anyone work out how long it would take to get from IOM to Heysham and IOM to Liverpool?

2 1/2 hours on a good day because like someone else mentioned the SP hate burning fuel. 4 hours once one of the engines packs in and they can't get a spare or fix it for months.

But hey I'll give them the benefit of the doubt and hope it works out for our sakes.

the somewhat critical (and cynical) www.irishseashipping.com site posted blazing headlines in its news column

STOP PRESS! - MAY 05 - 21:10

A single "SuperSeaCat" has appeared on the US Shipbrokers web site. It is not clear which of the four vessels is being offered for sale - but as SUPERSEACAT THREE and SUPERSEACAT FOUR operate as a pair these can be probably ruled out. That leaves ALMUDAINA DOS (ex SUPERSEACAT ONE) now operating for Acciona Trasmediterranea and VIKING operating for the Isle of Man Steam Packet Company. Several of the images on the linked .pdf document clearly show SUPERSEACAT TWO (now VIKING) and the file name is "superseacat2.pdf" .

EMERAUDE FRANCE which was chartered to the IoMSPCo last year has also been advertised for sale by the same brokers.

but seems to fail to notice in other parts of the ship brokers site (dated Dec 27 -07 !)

100M Ro/Ro Passenger/Car Monohull Ferry

Vessel temporary withdrawn from market by owners - on charter

just pondering what name the SPCo would give Incat 050 if they bought it, how about Manx Shearwater ?

or would they stick with something like Lady of Mann (xviii) :(

..and, also note that there's two fast cats ( Jonathan Swift and Stena Explorer) on the Holyhead-Dublin route, does anyone know if they do all year or just summer months ?

edit: spel cheque :)

Manx Shearwater - the Manx referred to the young as 'puffins' and usually pickled them - like the SeaCats an 'acquired taste' - taken fresh 'the flesh of these Birds is nothing pleasant fresh, because of their rank and Fish-like taste'.

So we're going to have two 'Superseacats' - neither of which is capable of crossing the Irish Sea in winter. Well, that'll be a big improvement, won't it?

Yes, it will be an improvement because there is no capacity problem in winter. What is needed is more capacity in summer, which the second cat will provide.

I paid £99 to take a car across and back in winter, and next week (early summer) will pay £274. Guess which season needs fixing first?

Clue: it ain't winter.

Sebrof

Looks like Viking has been re-advertised for sale, Oct-Nov 08 delivery date target, price ~€8.5 mil euro.

I take it that price may vary depending on what time of day you log on or where you log on from and may change according to the weather, plus subject to change i.e. when you pay €8.5 for it they may bus you up to another port and give you a different vessel. :whistling:

Looks like Viking has been re-advertised for sale, Oct-Nov 08 delivery date target, price ~€8.5 mil euro.

I take it that price may vary depending on what time of day you log on or where you log on from and may change according to the weather, plus subject to change i.e. when you pay €8.5 for it they may bus you up to another port and give you a different vessel. :whistling:

Not forgetting the €2.5 mil SP fool surcharge.

• 2 weeks later...
"The vessel will be able to carry lorries and coaches."

Which means it can't use Pier Head. Will it just run to Heysham?

... which means that it can cover for BMC to Heysham if required ?

I note it states on the US navy site that it will do 50kt :)

Archived