Steam Packet To Buy U.s. Warship

Jimcalagon

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

wonder if they are going to make the area in front of the bridge into a solarium with a glass roof :)

(for anyone who hasn't seen it, clicky)

I assume they would customise the loading ramp as part of the refurbishment.

I see it still only has a 3.5m wave height restriction like Snaefell though :(

.... what was that thing they used in the James Bond movie ? (or was it just a model in a tank or CGA )

I see it still only has a 3.5m wave height restriction like Snaefell though :(

When she was used in New Zealand, she had a 4m wave height restriction, but this was reviewed after an incident in 2000.

NZ MSA Report

She may be able to take coaches from Liverpool, as the stage is supposed to be able to take coaches for loading from cruise ships. She should also be able to load big campervans to/from there and other ports. At present, she has a side ramp, put on for the US Army - that could be useful for different ports.

As for covering Ben, she probably hasn't got sufficient capacity, and she couldn't go out in weather, but I suppose they could move Ben's overhaul period to summer....

For not an awful lot more than £20m, couldn't you get a fast conventional ferry, that would work in winter, and have a longer shelf life? Except that they've been messing around for too long - there are none available 2nd hand, and it would take a few years to order/build. Viking is only chartered until ?2010. Ah well, short term, probably the best they can do. Just hope they give it a decent name.

Just hope they give it a decent name.

I think they should call it........Mr BEN ...it could continue in the long time tradition of being a BEN boat :lol::lol:

i thought it was funny :rolleyes:

As if by magic .. Mr Ben appears ..

Carrying wagons and coaches ..

and as if by magic ..

Bye Bye BMC, Bye Bye Heysham sailings ..(The tides out so it cannot sail there)

Bye Bye Liverpool sailings (ship loads of rich posh snobs docking at the pier head terminal..)

Hello Holyhead!

- once a day.

But GOOD NEWS!

Once a year The Department of Douglas and the TT will invite the Balmoral over for a trip to Port Erin and the Calf!

Vikings charter terminates in July 2011 I think. Both Snaefell and Viking are registered in Liverpool as well.

The big INCAT's are vastly superior to anything that we have seen on the Island, the biggest and newest one has just run between two of the Islands in Japan without any problems all winter, these craft can do a lot better, and with the correct fit-out, will be fantastic to travel in.

I'm not suggesting for a minute that the images on this link will be any way representative, but this is what INCAT can do now.

Natchan Rera and Natchan World, (INCAT 064/065).

Persons – 800

Cars – 355

Truck Lane Metres –

450 + 193 cars

Deadweight – up to 1380 tonnes

Speed – 38 – 47 knots

Power – 36000 kW

How does the other seacats compare to this one and can anyone work out how long it would take to get from IOM to Heysham and IOM to Liverpool?

Thats the 112metre version. Steam packet have bought the 96m version which is power rated as only 28800kW

There's also a Video available

• 1 month later...

Archived