Isle Of Man Prisoners Go On Hunger Strike Over Smoking Ban

Mutley

• Replies 156
  • Created
  • Last Reply

What's this.. a Pot luck supper? Roast dinner sounds nice though... wouldn't you like to drop it around to mine instead?

*note: I do not live in the prison...

Oh dear me - they can't smoke. Why should that Government building be different from any other? It is another deterrent which is what is needed - too much of the softly softly approach and bleating about prisoners "rights" -They should give up their rights when they break the law! There are plenty of alcoholics that go to jail - we read about them every week -they are addicted to alcohol - I bet they aren't allowed a bottle to drink in their cell or out on the exercise yard every day. They should stop bleating and do their time, and be glad they don't live in a country that has capital punishment! I would gladly exchange places with them, free heating, food, electricity and a tax rebate of £350 per year I am led to believe - they should try living on my pension! What wouldn't I give to have 3 meals a day provided for me! I couldn't afford to smoke even if I wanted to.

I was under the impression that illegal drugs were quite freely available in UK nicks, a blind eye toleration being in force cos it keeps the buggers calmed down.

Makes banning a packet of Woodbines seem a bit silly. :rolleyes:

Any smoking ban in the Houses of Parliament yet? theres a few villians in that shed.

Any smoking ban in the Houses of Parliament yet? theres a few villians in that shed.

It is banned in the Palace of Westminster; not that there weren't MPs who tried to make it an exception.

Reading those responses on iomToday was hilarious.

Prisoners protesting against the smoking ban have gone on hunger strike.

WIN - WIN

Keep it up boys, we're all backing you.....

Speak for yourself P.K. - take a look at the warm response the public have given these lunatics!

http://www.iomtoday.co.im/news/Isle-of-Man...s-go.4039225.jp

How well do you know those two good mates Sarcasm and Irony? Because you have posted up the IOMToday link from which I took my quote. Personally I think they should all stay on hunger strike for as long as possible because anything that adds to their discomfort is fine by me.

[Flame Retardant Suit]

Regardless of why someone is in prison, either convicted or awaiting trial and hence innocent until proven guilty, for the period of time they are there it is their 'home' of sorts and of course should they be allowed to smoke - if not in their cells then at least outside. Smoking is an addicition like any other and I doubt a bit of NRT makes it all go calm overnight. That ban is also only going to make the life of prison staff harder and increase their risk of injury and trouble on the job, which can't really be desirable. Some of the comments on that article are disturbing - calling for "All their so called human rights to be taken away" sounds more like Afghanistan than Isle of Man.

Although I have to admit it probably does make for a good deterrent of sorts.

[/Flame Retardant Suit]

Personally I think they should all stay on hunger strike for as long as possible because anything that adds to their discomfort is fine by me.

Gets my vote :thumbsup:

Same here. Let the buggers starve any suffering they have to endure is just a bonus for their victims and us law abiding citizens who have to pay tax to keep them. fuck em all I say.

Archived