Isle Of Man Prisoners Go On Hunger Strike Over Smoking Ban

Mutley

Some of the comments on that article are disturbing - calling for "All their so called human rights to be taken away" sounds more like Afghanistan than Isle of Man.

What about the Human rights of their victims that they failed to consider when doing the crime

• Replies 156
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Says a fellow nicotine withdrawal symptoms sufferer. I can understand that you sympathize however it's not their "home" as such. Do you see a rug on the floor, flying ducks up the walls, chintzy curtains? It's prison. It's not supposed to be a "home from home". They don't fund it, Joe Public do. And if Joe Public says "No Smoking" then that's it. If you don't like it then don't commit the crime if you can't do the time.

Bonkers! Has it come to this! The Island has gone bonkers and to add to the madness only Amadeus & Albert are talking sense.

Aye, let's take a look at the replay:

Hardly surprising.

Clearly, talking a lot of sense there. A whole two words of talking sense. ;)

I don't smoke and am anti-smoking, but I do think that the prisoners should be allowed to smoke outside in the prison grounds.

I think that the prison dogs should have fresh meat too. :o

Mind you, if the prisoners stay on hunger strike, there'll be nothing left :(

Maybe they should do a Bobbie Sands and smear shit over the walls as well.

Gosh! sounded like an ex prisoner for a second with a gripe on his shoulders

Easy one that. Make them swap cells and smell their mates sheight.

Clearly, talking a lot of sense there. A whole two words of talking sense. ;)

Well you'd have to be bonkers to be surprised by this. Besides Albert is anti the smoking ban & by the forums' standards liberal on the rehabilitation of offenders.

Do you see a rug on the floor, flying ducks up the walls, chintzy curtains? It's prison.

That would be a cruel and unusual punishment.

Bit of perspective: We are talking about a few prisoners refusing meals here, not a mass riot.

Smoking is banned on all Government property, and it is difficult to make the case an exception should be made for convicts.

Smoking is not a human right. Food, water, shelter, healthcare and social interaction are and, as such, are all provided.

Bit of perspective: We are talking about a few prisoners refusing meals here, not a mass riot.

A bit more of perspective in that we are talking about a week in which the manx independent is wafer thin. A general moan about smoking disguised as a hunger strike might actually sell a few more.

I can see why some people would be sympathetic, but I don't really think the prison could be exempted from such legislation without undermining the purpose of it. If the government are offering a nicotine addiction programme (even if it's tagged at the excessive prices mentioned here), then they're lawfully doing the most they can.

Smoking is banned on all Government property, and it is difficult to make the case an exception should be made for convicts.

Smoking is not a human right. Food, water, shelter, healthcare and social interaction are and, as such, are all provided.

But in the UK - "Exemptions will apply to prisons, care homes, hospices, designated hotel rooms and long-stay secure psychiatric facilities."

So explain how is it 'difficult' to make an exception for prisoners?

But in the UK - "Exemptions will apply to prisons, care homes, hospices, designated hotel rooms and long-stay secure psychiatric facilities."

So explain how is it 'difficult' to make an exception for prisoners?

So explain why an exception should be made?

Archived