Isle Of Man Prisoners Go On Hunger Strike Over Smoking Ban

Mutley

@ Cheeky boy LMFAO “fair play”

@ Pele

You can start/run all the programs you want this is my first posts to these forums.

“the cell is classed as the prisoners home” Well I no they didn’t buy it or even rent it for that matter but if that’s the understanding of the human rights court then who are we to argue. Makes you question why the UK didn’t ban smoking in prison cells?

I haven’t read what manxy wrote sorry new here.

“The people working in the prison are under the same restrictions and applies to them also, are they guilty NEXT.

I didn’t realise the staff of the prison were locked in for there shift, not able to smoke outside at all!! Not able to smoke on there break or go out for dinner. Not able to go “home” and smoke. That’s a new one on me! And yet the person awaiting trial is a innocent as them!

Sue the government they allow the products to be sold. And with a “ no safe limit” a one part per 100 billion must be dangerous!

Those that take the money are those that the people put into power, perhaps you should have a owrd with your MHK and ask for a total ban!

Oh and it’s a him J

Fair do's Ando, but feel gutted that I haven't been slagged off thoroughly :(

At the end of the day, we're only pawns and you and I could talk, shout and scream for ages, but it wouldn't make a blind bit of difference

I would question the statement 'the person awaiting trial is a innocent as them!'. Any person who is put into prison IMO, should only be there if there is a reasonable cause for doing so and I rely on the Courts to be fair to all.

• Replies 156
  • Created
  • Last Reply
The non smoking ban in general is making second class citizens of smokers, had it been any other group, race, religion, sex etc there would be outcry.

I'm sick of this one.

Race, religion (?) sex etc. is not by choice.

Puffing awa' on 20 Woodbine a day is 100% choice. Certainly choice whether or not to exhale into others atmosphere.

Such smokers as second class citizens?

Seems about right to me.

The courts put people in jail on remand, they are there until there trial. Now if they are found not guily they are freed.

To take away from these people there right to smoke a legal product even outside is the same in my view to removing anybodys right to smoke. Therefore the smokers suffers more and maybe guilty of nothing!

But like you say little will be gained by us speaking about it i hope the prisoners do hold out and bring into question the right and wrongs of this law.

Soon enough if it carries on this way you won't be able to fart in public without being locked up and someone wanting to sue you for offence to there nose!

I disagree totally Ando and it looks like we're going to be at loggerheads for many days yet and if that doesn't work, you can continue PM-ing me until I fall asleep.

Oh, Just to let you know, I'm trying to work out who you are and I've started a little program (well, not that little) looking for similar words and phrases that might match existing posts of forum members and I'll see if it works :D

Over to you Newbie, lets have a good chat in public. This is between me and her/him/it (keep writing)

Does not smoking cause paranoia?

You're both newbies btw.

The courts put people in jail on remand, they are there until there trial. Now if they are found not guily they are freed.

only the ones that don't get bail, they don't get bail because it is more likely a serious offence that they are likely to be found guilty of. if you don't want to be stopped from smoking, don't do anything to get yourself locked up. easy really. the law as it stands does not allow smoking in certain places, the prison is one of them. it would be wrong for someone that has been locked up for breaking the law to be allowed to break the law inside the jail!! you don't have a right to break the law however stupid you think that law is.

I disagree totally Ando and it looks like we're going to be at loggerheads for many days yet and if that doesn't work, you can continue PM-ing me until I fall asleep.

Oh, Just to let you know, I'm trying to work out who you are and I've started a little program (well, not that little) looking for similar words and phrases that might match existing posts of forum members and I'll see if it works :D

Over to you Newbie, lets have a good chat in public. This is between me and her/him/it (keep writing)

Does not smoking cause paranoia?

You're both newbies btw.

Your right 'Crinkly' :lol:

only the ones that don't get bail, they don't get bail because it is more likely a serious offence that they are likely to be found guilty of. if you don't want to be stopped from smoking, don't do anything to get yourself locked up. easy really. the law as it stands does not allow smoking in certain places, the prison is one of them. it would be wrong for someone that has been locked up for breaking the law to be allowed to break the law inside the jail!! you don't have a right to break the law however stupid you think that law is.

One of the best messages I've seen :thumbsup:

To take away from these people there right to smoke a legal product even outside is the same in my view to removing anybodys right to smoke. Therefore the smokers suffers more and maybe guilty of nothing!

But like you say little will be gained by us speaking about it i hope the prisoners do hold out and bring into question the right and wrongs of this law.

Soon enough if it carries on this way you won't be able to fart in public without being locked up and someone wanting to sue you for offence to there nose!

By the same argument alcohol is legal so shouldn't a remand prisoner be allowed to get drunk or come to that all prisoners be allowed to drink because after all there is no smoke or fumes coming off alcohol that could have a toxic effect on others and as I said it is legal.

Prisoners who have refused food are able buy food from the prison shop.

So this is the worlds most pathetic hunger strike; I'm refusing prison food in protest at the smoking ban so I'll just pop down and buy some crisps from the prison shop instead. What a joke. Only in the Isle of Man!

So this is the worlds most pathetic hunger strike; I'm refusing prison food in protest at the smoking ban so I'll just pop down and buy some crisps from the prison shop instead. What a joke. Only in the Isle of Man!

Yes but that's because we're on the Isle of Man! Don't forget we have our own Government and we're "special" :rolleyes:

Where will it all end?

Are we avoiding the issue? lets get ahead of the game, soon enough smoking, in any form, will be a criminal offence--its where we are heading.

Are we prepared for it, will we accept jailing people for smoking?

I wonder how soon the first custodial sentance will be given for smoke related offences?

Its gotta happen sooner rather than later.

Where will it all end?

Are we avoiding the issue? lets get ahead of the game, soon enough smoking, in any form, will be a criminal offence--its where we are heading.

Are we prepared for it, will we accept jailing people for smoking?

I wonder how soon the first custodial sentance will be given for smoke related offences?

Its gotta happen sooner rather than later.

Dont kill others who dont smoke then!

the worlds first hunger strike where the protesters put on weight! only over here.... :rolleyes:

Archived