Isle Of Man Prisoners Go On Hunger Strike Over Smoking Ban

Mutley

• Replies 156
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I am not a nicotine addict anymore but I quite enjoyed having a few smokes on Saturday, it was nice to choose to smoke rather than to need to.

That's one of the silliest things I've ever read on here. (unless of course you were smoking pure weed).

I think we all need to realise this is a prison not a place of work.

Yes it is for the prison officers

Plus I presume there are social workers, laywers, maintenance staff etc etc who all work there too.

I think we all need to realise this is a prison not a place of work.

Yes it is for the prison officers

Plus I presume there are social workers, laywers, maintenance staff etc etc who all work there too.

I wasn't counting Social Workers and Advocates as Human but I take your point on the maintenance staff.

Six prisoners in the Isle of Man continue their hunger strike over a smoking ban imposed across the whole of the jail's premises.

Source : http://news.bbc.co.uk/go/rss/-/1/hi/world/...man/7385317.stm

hunger strike obviously means something different overhere? what they are doing according to the radio is not eat their 'meals', not 'not eating' , they will be scoffing crisps and chocolate with the support of other losers handing over their luxery's to thenm while claiming to be on hunger strike. i bet none of them are hungry yet!! why has it taken almost a month to start this action after the date of implementation?? they should have been protesting months ago when it was known when the ban would be coming in. typical whining after the fact.

Of course some of the staff will be smokers themselves, probably what will happen is Messrs. McKay, Barrowclough et al will be stood outside the front door puffing away (as is now the norm for workplaces) whilst Norman Stanley Blagger is away on his toes over the back wall.

they should have been protesting months ago when it was known when the ban would be coming in. typical whining after the fact.

They might of only been told it was official the day before. That would seem pretty normal for a Government department.

My friend posed the possibility of the governments wanting people to live longer and be healthier so that they can up the retirement age, which ties in nicely with there not being enough money in the pension funds.

I am not a nicotine addict anymore but I quite enjoyed having a few smokes on Saturday, it was nice to choose to smoke rather than to need to.

Totally agree with you there B.

It's easy to see how the Nazi party got such support back in the 1930's. Sounds to me like several Nazi's stayed here when they visited us back in 1936. Hell, even our newspapers (back then) were preaching how similar we all are... We're all living proof Nazism is still going strong.

Taking choices away from people is the realm of the weak and scared.

How many of you like a drink.... How many of you will look back at this thread and reaslise you were in the process of losing your liberties 'bit by bit' when they start to ban alcohol.... I believe it's called tolerance and choice. In fact, if you believe it is anything to do with protecting your health, then you will most definitely struggle understanding the concepts involved in my rantings.

Regarding the prison issue, if someone is smoking in a cell with a none-smoker, then this is blatantly wrong and the none-smoker should have the right to do something about it. But as society has done for many years now, put the smokers together and then we don't have an issue.

I think the gov't banned smoking because it would save on decoration costs in the new prison. :lol: :lol:

Anyway, giving up smoking is no guarantee that you will live longer... see following link and weep suckers

http://www.bccancer.bc.ca/ABCCA/NewsCentre...okingdamage.htm

BTW.

How many of the prisoners who stopped the hunger strike were threatened with longer sentences if they continued this protest.

You are all slagging off some low-life inmate for having the gumption to fight for what he believes in... The words democracy and hypocrisy come to mind.. Climb back in your little bubbles - shut the door firmly - and STFU. :lol:

Slane.

You are all slagging off some low-life inmate for having the gumption to fight for what he believes in... The words democracy and hypocrisy come to mind.. Climb back in your little bubbles - shut the door firmly - and STFU.

I'm not slagging them off for putting up a fight. I'm slagging them off for being low-life inmates. The "democracy" bit is a good laugh as well. OUR democracy created a framework of laws for us all to live peacefully within. The inmates decided they would live WITHOUT our laws so they are now no longer part of our democracy. Fair enough for me. If you can't do the time, don't do the crime.

Archived