Performing Rights Society

Max Power

My argument would be that in playing music to the public I am actually advertising that music to potential buyers

Think about the kind of money you would have to pay to get your music played on MTV or on a American radio playlist

Any business playing music to the public should at least get a discount from the record companies

My argument would be that in playing music to the public I am actually advertising that music to potential buyers

Such selflessness. Of course, anyone too tight to pay for the product that is music always has the option of not playing any. Simple really.

What I want to know is how do they know what music you listen to to enable them to pay the appropriate composer?

A few years ago there was an ad in the local paper for a PRS person in the IOM. I sent for details and it involved going round all the pubs that played live music and getting set lists off the bands. If there was no set list you had to stay and note down what they were playing.

It used to be that they would 'sample' radio stations and pubs, by asking them to submit a 'typical' playlist from a 'typical' day. They then do this the country over nad work out who is being played by whom.

I'm not sure how it works for speech radio: 5 Live for example does not have any music, but does have lots of jingles and music beds. Do you have to pay for them?

And if a local band plays all their own songs, and they are NOT a member of PRS, does the pub have to pay for them too? And do the band have to pay anything for playing the songs?

I'm all for artists getting paid, but I can't understand how they can justify charging a business for playing radio to its employees. Surely they could all bring their own radio in, all tune it to the same station and then all claim they were listening privately?!!!

And if a local band plays all their own songs, and they are NOT a member of PRS, does the pub have to pay for them too? And do the band have to pay anything for playing the songs?

The pub would pay for a licence to have music played there in a year. This is then distributed amongst PRS members according to the sample, so I suppose in a way the non-PRS bands are subsidising those that are.

RE 5 Live the composers of the jingle etc get paid. David Dundas, earned £3.50 each time the Channel 4 ident played (totalling £1000 per week) becasue he wrote the music.

Archived