Toddler Technology?

bluemonday

Clicky

At the age of 2 to 5 years, I would have thought it more important to ensure they can learn to speak properly, intereact with other people and function in the real world before going off to netland.

Oh and learn to clean their teeth properly.

Thoughts, opinions?

'sperts' at it again, idiots the lot of them.

Why not let children be children, there's not enough around who just play ball or skipping, ride their bikes or play on swings these days, they won't get these lost years back

There were some children near my house last year who had rigged a swing in a tree, nice solid tree, good rope and seat, had a good time playing for a few weeks until the corpy men arrived in force and cut it down :( (miserable kill-joys)

I only got through the first 3 paragraphs before the angry pulsing vein in the side of my neck popped! Stop dabbling you stoopid beaurucrats and leave those kids alone. If it was joe public messing with so many kids we'd all be up in arms.

*need to go lie down now*

I spoke to a local employer (account) recently who took on some school leavers from one of the local grammar schools. These teenagers were using calculators to work out sums with single digits and were unable to construct a letter properly.

The logical result, I suppose, of reliance on computers in schools.

I agree with all the other posters. Let the children be children for goodness sake. Some people face a life being chained to a computer at work. It's grim to inflict the PC culture on them so early.

I think it's a great idea, like it or not our lives are ruled by computers and the youngsters should start to understand them as soon as possible. In 18 yrs time there will be unimaginable things happening in this world that we will be ill equipped to deal with without our young people understanding the technology.

In my childhood we didn't have TV and I played 'cowboys and indians' and war games, when I got some education I stopped playing these games because of the inherent racism they bought to the surface and the injustices of man to man.

Let the children thrive, it won't stop them being kids, just enhance their education and improve their chances in life.

I think it's a great idea, like it or not our lives are ruled by computers and the youngsters should start to understand them as soon as possible. In 18 yrs time there will be unimaginable things happening in this world that we will be ill equipped to deal with without our young people understanding the technology.

In my childhood we didn't have TV and I played 'cowboys and indians' and war games, when I got some education I stopped playing these games because of the inherent racism they bought to the surface and the injustices of man to man.

Let the children thrive, it won't stop them being kids, just enhance their education and improve their chances in life.

What makes you think young people won't understand technology in 18 yrs time if they don't "start to understand them as soon as possible" Skrappey? People will always adapt to the environment around them, always have, always will.

Although your reasons to stop playing cowboys and indians etc. were admirable, I don't for one second believe kids who play those games grow up to be racists or prone to carry out greater injustices to fellow man in comparison to non war-game playing kids. I consider myself as evidence to back that theory up.

Kids are naturally curious, if they "discover" computers, remote controls - whatever, most will figure out how to use the technology, if they find it stimulating, they will continue to use it, if not, they leave it (perhaps they will return to it at some future date). That, I believe, in general is how kids/ adults should be "educated" in any subject/area. As soon as defined targets and testing is introduced to any subject, it stops being a natural learning environment.

"improve their chances in life"

A very broad statement, quality of life should be measured by factoring in a large number of criteria, use of technology should make up a very small proportion of this, IMO.

I would think most children know how to use technology better than the teachers so perhaps it is just a cover for the oldies to learn lol

I mean how many of the poor buggers end up in front of the electronic baby sitter!

If it was joe public messing with so many kids we'd all be up in arms.

Don't blame you mate. Got my 3 year old a jigsaw last week and he's cut two of his fingers off already.

He clearly hasn't read the instructions then has he! Stick him in front of the computer until he learns how to read...after getting his fingers reattached that is (hope you've got 'em in cold storage).

Archived