[BBC News] Teenager dies in wall collision

Newsbot

couple of points,

if u limit the size of engines to say 1.0 1.2, that could have a huge impact on a lot of ppl in work,

say a works van, most of these are at least 1.8 up to 2.4s, also 4x4 are normaly 2.5 2.8,

i know a few ppl that have to use vans/4x4 for there work, so that would be no more,

so i would say thats pointless way,

also your saying diesels are a better choice,

well not really,

the lupo 1.2 or what ever it is,

thats a fast little car with a diesel in,

the diahatsu charede 1.0 diesel, that was madness

the 207 we have, 1.4 diesel, and it gos like the wind, can easly pull a ton in it,

so really moden day diesels are not really that much slower,

also there aint many normally aspirated diesel made these days, most have a turbo on them, the moden diesel engine,

when i passed my test i was given a BX diesel as my first car (sad i know) but i diden care it was a car, and i prob broke a million speed limits and drove like a complete git, prob if i been caught banned for somesort of driveing offence,

but with time u grow out of driveing like a git everywhere, u take more caution and u learn, i was lucky to never have a crash when i was young, (and i put that down to my gd driveing) but i had a few close moments,

and to be honest i dont think raiseing the age will make a blind bit of diffrance, for that first year most ppl take it easy,

but theres allways someone that think thay know it all after a few days, and there the ones that need to be stopped,

the 50mph limit for R plates is just a joke, all it does is makes them go slower when ever the cops are around, to a point its working but only if a cop is babysitting them everywhere, the amount of R plates i see going over 50 is a lot,

and to be honest most of them arent driveing like mad men, just the odd one or 2,

the simple facts are its not speed that kills its the man at the wheel that does, he makes the choice to go round what ever at said speed, weather that speed is right only time will tell, the speed might well put a final nail in the coffin, but the person driveing fired the first shot,

its like putting a loaded gun in a persons hand, its up to them if thay pull the trigger, or just put it down

the same in a car, that trigger is the right peddle, up to them how hard thay press it, and as we all well know some ppl do pull that trigger just a bit 2 much

people are allways going to die at the hands of cars, no amount of speed limits or things is ever going to stop that happining

why is it allways somebodys eles fault, no speed limits to big an engine, this and that, allways somebodys eles fault, and i mean this in all crashs that happin, unless a tyre blows or something major happins to the car, the only blame is on the person that is behind the wheel,

i bet if thay brought in an all island speed limit, there would still be crashes and ppl would still die, and ppl will complain that more should be done, thay should have done this and that,

but one thing u can never stop is the free will of men and woman, no amount of limits, pics of what happins to ppl in cars,

will stop the small number of ppl going to fast, while it might make most see the errors of there ways and sit back and think about it next time there behind the wheel(which i hope it does), there allways will be one or 2 that thinks sod them i know better

no amount of speed limits will stop deaths,

policeing the speed limits is what will stop deaths,

• Replies 154
  • Created
  • Last Reply
couple of points,

if u limit the size of engines to say 1.0 1.2, that could have a huge impact on a lot of ppl in work,

say a works van, most of these are at least 1.8 up to 2.4s, also 4x4 are normaly 2.5 2.8,

i know a few ppl that have to use vans/4x4 for there work, so that would be no more,

also there aint many normally aspirated diesel made these days, most have a turbo on them, the moden diesel engine,

there are not that many companies that allow 'young' drivers as many insurance companies terms and conditions in company vehicles basically prohibit it. nearly all also base their quotes on UK legislation too where you can't even get behind the wheel till you're 17. ( try getting an online insurance quote for a 16 year old in a car or on a 125 m/cycle!! some won't even accept IOM post codes!!) 20+ years ago when i started work the company vehicles were only insured for 21 and over drivers. instead of quoting engine sizes alone, perhaps also the insurance group number of the car should be a factor too so you can only drive the lower groups?? no borrowing mummy's motor

you are right on diesels though, turbo's are the norm to get the power and keep to emmission legislation.

I know a young driver who has written off 2 motors already. On both occassions they had been tweeked, lowered suspension, engine, big bore pipe etc, the last incident was him and his girl friend on the mountain road, no one else involved. He walked away without any penalty.

What I don't understand is why he's still driving round in another racy motor and annoying the hell out of the neighbourhood at 1-2 o'clock in the morning.

IMO:-

if you crash it on the mountain without any mitigation (oil on road, heart attack) then your at fault and should be prosecuted;

big bore pipes are a nuisance, surely they breach noise laws (if not create a law which they do breach and get rid of them);

car tax should be linked to BHP not just engine size so when these louts tweek their engines they have to pay through the nose for it.

A lot of these tragic accidents, as far as I can tell, involved cars full of "kids". I remember when I passed my test, I spent the first few months/years driving as fast as I possibly could. Looking back, I was lucky not to have had a serious accident myself.

I feel the idea of having restricted passengers for the 1st year or 2 would make a big difference. I know for a fact that I was much more inclined to drive more dangerously when I had my mates in the car than when I was on my own.

Perhaps limiting the number of passengers who are under the age of 21 to nil in the evenings and weekends and to 1 for all other times for the 1st year unless there is someone else in the vehicle who is over 21. This would stop the "boyracers" and would also likely reduce the number of teen deaths in road accident, even if its simply a case of there being less people involved in the accident.

And Grianane, they are already "paying through the nose" with increased insurance premiums...that is of course they disclose them...which they probably dont and as such, if they are willing to accept the risk of invalidating their insurance why would they bother telling the IOM Govt about something which will result in something like a fixed penalty notice

couple of points,

20+ years ago when i started work the company vehicles were only insured for 21 and over drivers.

thay have to be named on the policy normaly if there under 21, most now are 25,

i know with my works van, anybody i give permission over 25 is covered dont matter who thay are,

but anybody under that i have to name them on the policy, and thats the same with most companys,

costs a bit more, but if you want somebody younger to drive the vans then you have to do it,

The UK doesn't have an R plate system, and the IOM does. Yet both places seem to have the same problem regarding young drivers. So does the R plate system have any effect at all? And is their any other restrictions other than the top speed of 50mph?

I think the most effective way to try and cut accidents with young drivers would certainly to be to limit the number of young passengers they carry. Showing off to mates can have dangerous consquences.

It would seem to make sense limiting the engine size of the car a newly qualified driver can drive. However I know when I passed my test at 17 (about 18 years ago), I couldn't afford a car and got valuable driving experience using my dads Vauxhall Cavalier. Without that I wouldn't have gained practical road experience and wouldn't have driven for about another year until I could have afforded my own small engined car.

Compared to the small cars of 15-20 years ago, the average modern small hatch with a basic 1.2 engine can still have fairly rapid enough acceleration to have a nasty accident. Alot of boy racers tend to speed in 30 limits yet they can do that in the most basic car in 3rd gear.

I'm not sure if this applies to the island, but in the UK in the first 2 years of driving a newly qualified driver can lose their licence if they get a maximum of 6points. Then they have to re sit their test. Maybe that should be reduced to 3 points and it might have more of an affect.

The UK doesn't have the R plates? I'm sure they did have some form of probation after passing a test when I left 6 years ago.

According to the DVLA they have an amber R plate system. Have I missed the point?

The UK doesn't have the R plates? I'm sure they did have some form of probation after passing a test when I left 6 years ago.

According to the DVLA they have an amber R plate system. Have I missed the point?

As far as I know there has never been an R plate equivalent in the UK . There have been "voluntary" green L and also P plates used but never adopted in law -- purely a means of showing you are a "new" driver . I think the orange R plates you refer to are used in N. Ireland .

However in the UK the penalties for new drivers are more harsh in that if you recieve 6 points in the first 2 years you get a ban (not sure how long) then have to take a new test and start your 2 year probationary period again.

As far as I know there has never been an R plate equivalent in the UK . There have been "voluntary" green L and also P plates used but never adopted in law -- purely a means of showing you are a "new" driver . I think the orange R plates you refer to are used in N. Ireland .

However in the UK the penalties for new drivers are more harsh in that if you recieve 6 points in the first 2 years you get a ban (not sure how long) then have to take a new test and start your 2 year probationary period again.

Agreed, the UK has never had a compulsory R plate system. You can buy green L or P plates to show you are a new driver. However your average boy racer wouldn't be seen dead displaying them! Northern Ireland however has an R plate system.

Also am I right in saying you can start driving a car on the IOM at age 16? Are they restricted to the island or can they legally drive in the UK.

Also am I right in saying you can start driving a car on the IOM at age 16? Are they restricted to the island or can they legally drive in the UK.

Yes you are right that you could pass your test on the IOM at 16 but even if you passed your test on the Island at 16 you would not be able to drive in any other country,until you reached the legal age for driving in that country.

• 2 weeks later...

been a few weeks, but i have not yet heard on the grapevine who the driver was?? conspiracy theory suggests it is a person from a family of wealth, political standing, or power?? there was an appeal recently for more witnesses ( obviously the driver and surviving pasengers haven't a clue? ) parked at the creg in a blue car with shiney wheels ( chav mobile )!! what can you see from there?? it smells like the powers that be are looking to find someone/something other than the driver and their driving to account for the accident? ' act of god ' is a good get out for insurance companies??

parked at the creg in a blue car with shiney wheels ( chav mobile )!!

Why is a car with shiny wheels a chavmobile necessarily?

Most cars have silvery coloured wheels, lots have bright alloys from new, and most people occasionally wash their cars.

Archived