[BBC News] Teenager dies in wall collision

Newsbot

I'm just glad Amadeus didn't get a picture of my shame!

What? You were there and spun the car? Darn it..should have stayed a little longer then...

Tragic that as usually happens in these cases, it is the passenger that is the victim, and not the driver. As previously stated by many other ppl, limits are there to be broken in some ppl's minds, you will NEVER legislate against that.

Speed limits do not cut down deaths, driver education, and culture changes need to be made. We have had a family move in up from us (30mph limit) and it has turned into R Plate city, little shits whamming back and forth at silly speeds. Only a matter of time until another marine drive incident I fear.

I agree. On the risk of being flamed, even after tragic incidents like this I remain opposed to any ideas of more speed limits or the usual knee jerk reactions by the DoT, simply because they won't change anything. It is in education and training where the future must lie if we want to cut down on accidents and completely avoidable tragedies.

Young drivers are still the most vulnerable, yet they very often feel as the strongest and best in cases of misplaced self confidence and overjoyed by their newly found freedom on four wheels. Probably many - if not most - of us have done some sort of silly thing when we first started driving - that may have been a small incident or a near catastrophy - simply moments where you thought "Blimey, I won't do that again..." It is true that you learn from mistakes, but it would be a lot better if at least a good percentage of these mistakes were made on a closed circuit under controlled conditions. Preparing to pass your test does not teach you what to do if the backend steps out or if you are on the edge of losing control over the vehicle for whatever reason - only additional training can do this.

I might be wrong here, but I also think that to a certain extent all the electronic driving aides that have found their way into cars over the last years are in some cases not as good or beneficial as we are led to believe. Yes, they undoubtedly help to a certain extend when things go wrong, but there is also a risk that we become overreliant on cars driving us around instead of the other way round, and when these little helpers reach their physical limits there is only a blank space where the driver's reaction should be.

Another thing is the driving age and this whole L-plate thing. You should be able to start learning for your licence with 17 or 17 1/2 but only get it with 18 and not a day earlier. Tuition should only be carried out by proper instructors and not uncle bob on the passenger seat, who drives like a monkey on speed himself.

Proper tuition on cars that are still cars and additional and ongoing training afterwards, that's how I think we could improve things - not cameras or more signs at the side of the road.

• Replies 154
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I might be wrong here, but I also think that to a certain extent all the electronic driving aides that have found their way into cars over the last years are in some cases not as good or beneficial as we are led to believe. Yes, they undoubtedly help to a certain extend when things go wrong, but there is also a risk that we become over reliant on cars driving us around instead of the other way round, and when these little helpers reach their physical limits there is only a blank space where the driver's reaction should be.

I have to agree with this - When I passed my test (30 years ago, almost to the day) normal cars were very different. No power steering, no ABS, and so on...

I was taught to anticipate the situation ahead, and use the gears and engine to brake. Now, people seem to go full pelt for the longest possible time, and brake at the last moment.

Some people seem to think that the 30, 40, or 50mph sign is a compulsory speed as opposed to a maximum. And many a time I've been amazed at the number of people driving at full speed with no lights (or just side lights) in thick fog.

Are stricter tests, or further restrictions on new young drivers, the answer? I don't know. There will always be some young idiot willing to push it, and there are even several adults of my own age (mid forties) that I certainly don't like getting into a car with.

Are stricter tests, or further restrictions on new young drivers, the answer? I don't know. There will always be some young idiot willing to push it, and there are even several adults of my own age (mid forties) that I certainly don't like getting into a car with.

the test is strict enough, the average number of lessens needed to pass is just short of 50 according to an instructor i was talking to recently. i had i think ( ages ago ) 11? and i passed 1st time. most of these 'accidents' are performed by people that have passed the test in recent months/years. you can't stop youngsters showing off to mates. it just happens at 20 - 30 mph faster than it used to and survival rates are thus reduced. where the crash was can easily be navigated at 40 mph!! even 50- 60 is not an issue if you have any experience driving. the skid marks would appear to indicate more than 40?? nuff said. having just read that there were 4 people in the car with a 17 year old driver, i'm thinking the weight of the passengers will have made tha car handle different. it is quite a difference with passengers as anyone who has had a carfull will know. speed and inexperience will no doubt be the root cause though.

the test is strict enough, the average number of lessens needed to pass is just short of 50 according to an instructor i was talking to recently. i had i think ( ages ago ) 11? and i passed 1st time.

I had 10 one hour long lessons with an approved instructor and the actual test lasted 20 minutes, including the picture quiz or 'what's this sign mean' bit.

So, maybe it's changed a bit since then, but I would also recommend going for the Advanced Driver test. Not only do you get to learn better car handling skills, but the it helps keep the insurance premiums down.

I'm an advocate of them extreme.

I would love to see all who take their test, they must ride a maximum of 48cc scooter.

Regardles of age!

For a minimum of 6 months.

I'm an advocate of them extreme.

I would love to see all who take their test, they must ride a maximum of 48cc scooter.

Regardles of age!

For a minimum of 6 months.

But not regardless of gender - males only please!

Personally - if I owned the land on the outside of the bend I'd change the profile of the wall - the angle of the corner of the wall might be protecting the tree inside but it sure ain't helping anyone else out.

I believe there is one very simple way of reducing accidents among the young.

Anyone who passes their test must drive a sub 1L engined car, with an 'R' plate, for seven years OR until they pass an advanced motorist course. At the moment, a young person passes their test and think they know it all. Taking more training isn't 'cool', so there is no incentive to do any. I'll happily put money on it that the average age of IAM members is 40+. If the average age was 22, the roads would be much safer. If the incentive to take training was to drive dad's Subaru and get rid of the 'R' plate, suddenly more/better training becomes a badge of honour.

By the same token, if someone only wants a car to potter down to Tesco and back, a little Nissan Micra is environmentally sound way of doing so, so no need for them to do further training.

Personally - if I owned the land on the outside of the bend I'd change the profile of the wall - the angle of the corner of the wall might be protecting the tree inside but it sure ain't helping anyone else out.

From what I saw as I drove past, the impact was on the inside of the bend. As I recall, the sports car with 'the brakes that got too hot' killed the motorcyclist by ending up in a very similar position.

so cos some drivers don't drive accordingly within the speed limit someone should landscape their property to help the idiots out?? if the wall didn't stop the cars their house would have to. unf**k yourself and wake up.

Tuition should only be carried out by proper instructors and not uncle bob on the passenger seat, who drives like a monkey on speed himself.

Definately disagree with this point. Driving Instructors are expensive enough!! The less you involve them, the better really. If you know someone who can teach you very well, then I would encourage it. I used to teach my wife, and would continue it now if I still had my old car.

I was taught by my uncle.... with a couple of lessons at the end by a driving instructor to check that I was good enough to pass. I passed first time!

My uncle was a retired chief examiner.... and better than any instructor out there! So my 'uncle bob' (as it were) was indeed the better choice!

It is very sad and there have been a few accidents there. However, I don't see how blaming the TT makes any difference? There is a speed limit in place at that section.

I am not having a go at speed as such but more of experience. One of the problems is perhaps being able to jump directly into a Impreza or WRX Subaru the same day as passing your test?

I don't know much about what actually happened so my comments are more in the general discussion side rather than factual.

Tuition should only be carried out by proper instructors and not uncle bob on the passenger seat, who drives like a monkey on speed himself.

Definately disagree with this point. Driving Instructors are expensive enough!! The less you involve them, the better really. If you know someone who can teach you very well, then I would encourage it. I used to teach my wife, and would continue it now if I still had my old car.

I was taught by my uncle.... with a couple of lessons at the end by a driving instructor to check that I was good enough to pass. I passed first time!

My uncle was a retired chief examiner.... and better than any instructor out there! So my 'uncle bob' (as it were) was indeed the better choice!

I was told the other day that they are thinking of introducing some sort of system that forces you into lessons with an approved instructor. Only once you have been signed off will parents/friends be able to teach you.

A quick search throws up this:

Learner drivers will now need professional tuition

UK - but I expect it to come in here eventually. How they enfore it I don't know.

I was told the other day that they are thinking of introducing some sort of system that forces you into lessons with an approved instructor. Only once you have been signed off will parents/friends be able to teach you.

A quick search throws up this:

Learner drivers will now need professional tuition

UK - but I expect it to come in here eventually. How they enfore it I don't know.

I expect so, especially as this is already enforced over here with a motorcycle. They must first have a CBT, (not a clue what it stands for) before you can even ride a 125 with L plates, so I expect it's pretty similair?

similar knee-jerk reactions and solutions to a tragedy in Norway, clicky

After a tragic car accident over the weekend, in which a 20-year-old driver and his two passengers were killed, the authorities are considering a ban on weekend and night driving for youths

(mind you up there they don't have much night at some times of year !)

Everyone jumps to the conclusion it was caused by speed but a soft tyre from a puncture or numerous other reasons could have made it lose control, which will all come out in the AI

Archived