[BBC News] Teenager dies in wall collision

Newsbot

The Mountain Road is a beautiful, slick surface with no speed limit over the top. A pleasure to drive for many and there are several reminders that the history of the TT around to get the blood flowing. (Sign boards at corners/advertising at the Bungalow/Creg na Baa etc)

The corner at Brandish was redesigned and is now a bend that can be taken at very fast speed.

The whole set up on the Mountain is geared for the TT and is great fun for the petrol heads amongst us.

I reckon that once you have travelled from Ramsey over the course, it kind of 'prepares' or 'conditions' the driver into driving fast. We all know that on a clear road you can zip over there rapidly and by the time you get to Hillberry, you have been driving on a race track for 10 minutes or so. Then you have to quickly re-adjust to driving in a built up area and in a speed limit and this could be problematic for some.

The authorities have to make the choice of reducing death/serious injury by making it less condusive to speed or keep the status quo and accept that there will be more accidents.

• Replies 154
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Sorry, this concept of a race circuit is a red herring. It's a ROAD racing circuit for just a few weeks of the year, and doesn't 'condition' drivers for anything.

Otherwise people landing at Ronaldsway would be driving flat out from the car park, having got used to doing 300mph in the air.

Without wishing to seem insensitive, whilst those left behind seek to find fault elsewhere, these are rarely anything but excuses for most of these accidents. There's nothing wrong with the bend at Hillberry, or the 40mph speed limit already displaced halfway up to Brandish, or the Ballahutchin, Ballamodha, Richmond Hill, or the old Windy Corner.

Let's wait for the accident investigators to report, but I will be amazed if the road is to blame.

Sorry, this concept of a race circuit is a red herring. It's a ROAD racing circuit for just a few weeks of the year, and doesn't 'condition' drivers for anything.

Don't you think that if this wasn't a racing circuit that other calming methods would have been put on the straight along with the speed limit? A chiccane for example?

Tuition should only be carried out by proper instructors and not uncle bob on the passenger seat, who drives like a monkey on speed himself.

When this came up recently in the UK I must admit to being a little concerned. I'd be very worried if new drivers were allowed on the road with little or no experience of driving at night, in fog or heavy rain for example. It's pot luck if the weather happens to coincide with driving lessons so the best chance of a learner gaining this valuable experience is with a family member supervising.

you don't see many crashes where excessive speed isn't a contributary factor, and 99% of the rest are due care daydreamers. the odd mechanical failure/puncture account for very few.

Don't you think that if this wasn't a racing circuit that other calming methods would have been put on the straight along with the speed limit? A chiccane for example?

There already is one - its called the 40mph speed limit sign halfway between Brandish and Hillberry. There's no traffic calming along the Ballahutchin & Ballamodha straights, why should there be any there?

There already is one - its called the 40mph speed limit sign halfway between Brandish and Hillberry. There's no traffic calming along the Ballahutchin & Ballamodha straights, why should there be any there?

Great examples of road safety, it's not like anyones died on the Ballamodha now is it...

Great examples of road safety, it's not like anyones died on the Ballamodha now is it...

Give it time.

Hillberry is a completely safe corner if negotiated in a manner appropriate to the car and conditions.

Amadeus, with regards to driving lessons, you need to remember that it is not in the driving instructor's interests for a student to pass. If the student passes the instructor loses a client. Why do you think the average number of lessons has gone from 10 to 50? The test is not really any harder. It is different but at the end of the day the majority of what the examiner is looking for is confidence.

so cos some drivers don't drive accordingly within the speed limit someone should landscape their property to help the idiots out?? if the wall didn't stop the cars their house would have to. unf**k yourself and wake up.

So you have decided that this accident was caused by speed ? Exactly what evidence do you have that you would like to share with us ??

All I said was that PERSONALLY if I owned the land I'd change it. There have been a number of accidents at that corner and PERSONALLY I wouldn't be very happy about walking out of my property every 18 months (as thats about how often there is a fatality there) and seeing blue flashing lights from the emergency services. PERSONALLY I'd get permission to remove the tree and put a low hedge there as PERSONALLY I'd rather see a car in the big field on the outside of the bend with the occupants probably alive rather than upside down in the middle of the road as normally happens.

PERSONALLY I'd say that my reply says a lot about the type of person that I am - I'd do something about it and make a postive change. Your reply said a lot about you too.

so cos some drivers don't drive accordingly within the speed limit someone should landscape their property to help the idiots out?? if the wall didn't stop the cars their house would have to. unf**k yourself and wake up.

So you have decided that this accident was caused by speed ? Exactly what evidence do you have that you would like to share with us ??

All I said was that PERSONALLY if I owned the land I'd change it. There have been a number of accidents at that corner and PERSONALLY I wouldn't be very happy about walking out of my property every 18 months (as thats about how often there is a fatality there) and seeing blue flashing lights from the emergency services. PERSONALLY I'd get permission to remove the tree and put a low hedge there as PERSONALLY I'd rather see a car in the big field on the outside of the bend with the occupants probably alive rather than upside down in the middle of the road as normally happens.

PERSONALLY I'd say that my reply says a lot about the type of person that I am - I'd do something about it and make a postive change. Your reply said a lot about you too.

why don't you PERSONALLY buy the place and sort it out then?? i would be far more concerned about protecting my own property from people who seem unable to keep their vehicles rubber side down on a road that at 40mph is plenty wide enough without the need to use the hedge/wall as a burm. the skid marks do appear long for 40mph or less!!

why don't you PERSONALLY buy the place and sort it out then?? i would be far more concerned about protecting my own property from people who seem unable to keep their vehicles rubber side down on a road that at 40mph is plenty wide enough without the need to use the hedge/wall as a burm. the skid marks do appear long for 40mph or less!!

How did you detemine that the skid marks were "long for 40 mph or less" ? Previously you couldn't tell the difference between a "field with a tree in it" and a house. :)

In all honesty I know what you are saying and the point you are making. I just think that the wall there does make the consequences worse in the event of an accident than they have to be.

you don't see many crashes where excessive speed isn't a contributary factor, and 99% of the rest are due care daydreamers. the odd mechanical failure/puncture account for very few.

How methodical. Spouting bollocks like the above does little to help your argument, and excessive speed is an umbrella term (excessive because person is too inexperienced, or because they're just flat out going too fast for the conditions?).

There's also a lot more explanations than the aforementioned ones. Trivialising/twisting the argument isn't going to help people choose the safest/best solution

Archived