[BBC News] Teenager dies in wall collision

Newsbot

There already is one - its called the 40mph speed limit sign halfway between Brandish and Hillberry. There's no traffic calming along the Ballahutchin & Ballamodha straights, why should there be any there?

Great examples of road safety, it's not like anyones died on the Ballamodha now is it...

In the 40mph stretch?? nope, Im pretty sure noone has.

• Replies 154
  • Created
  • Last Reply
There have been a number of accidents at that corner and PERSONALLY I wouldn't be very happy about walking out of my property every 18 months (as thats about how often there is a fatality there) and seeing blue flashing lights from the emergency services.

To quote Oscar Wilde out of context:

"To lose one parent, Mr Worthing, may be regarded as a misfortune; to lose both looks like carelessness.'

Not to excuse driver responsibility, but if accidents keep happening at the same spot road design must be a contributory factor in the situation - not the only one of course. I keep thinking about the DoT getting worked up about the Tesco roundabout...

An awful way to lose a child.

you don't see many crashes where excessive speed isn't a contributary factor, and 99% of the rest are due care daydreamers. the odd mechanical failure/puncture account for very few.

How methodical. Spouting bollocks like the above does little to help your argument, and excessive speed is an umbrella term (excessive because person is too inexperienced, or because they're just flat out going too fast for the conditions?).

There's also a lot more explanations than the aforementioned ones. Trivialising/twisting the argument isn't going to help people choose the safest/best solution

anything other than mechanical failure would be driver error?? and excessive is exactly that, too much, regardless of why. i feel confident that things went wrong at more than 40mph, and that things would probably not have gone wrong at 40 or under. the safest/best solution if you have to drive, is to stick to the speed limits.

Inexperienced drivers seem to be the main cause of fatal accidents

Young drivers are being let loose on the road with no experience beyond passing their test, which hardly prepares them for the challenges of high speed driving

We should accept the fact that young drivers will drive like lunatics from time to time and include compulsory high speed driving lessons as part of driver training

We are not short of highly skilled race & rally drivers over here who could pass on their skills

It would be much safer to find your limits at Jurby than on the open road

The place in question. I only took these as I was going to the Creg anyway, and actually thought quite a bit if I should post them at all. The yellow markings appear to be from the police investigation, marking the path of the vehicle. I do not in any way wish to offend anyone by posting these but thought if anything it may be a stark reminder about being careful when driving, regardless of the cause of this particular incident. You will obviously draw your own conclusions as to what happened, but as mentioned before we should wait for the official investigation to close before airing any opinions or throwing around arguments as to the possible cause.

HB01.jpg

HB02.jpg

HB03.jpg

Looks like the car went straight on into the bales on the entrance wall to the house, and bounced across to the other side of the road?

Great examples of road safety, it's not like anyones died on the Ballamodha now is it...

And how many fatals have there been since the speed limit was put in as a calming measure on the Ballamodha?

Or the Ballahutchin.

Have there been fatals within the speed limited areas of the Ballahutchin?

My point being that the speed limited areas *should* be enough of a calming measure, if drivers abide by them, unless other forces come into play (avoidance of a hazard, something breaks on the vehicle, etc)

And how many fatals have there been since the speed limit was put in as a calming measure on the Ballamodha?

I suggested bends as a calming measure, not speed limits.

it wouldn't be the 'ballamodha straight' then would it numb nuts?? :rolleyes:

ok so u put a bend in a stright road!!!!

so whats stopping somebody comeing 2 fast in to your calming bends and ploughing into what ever you inteed to place to make the bend emm nowt, so to be honest it woulden really solve out, u have the same problem woulden you, and as its a calming measure, u have speed limits,

so lets recap here just incase you got lost,

corners in road, check,

speed limit to slow them down as its a bend and could be hazed at speed, check,

so now tell me the diffrence of where the crash happined,

i help you

corner in road, check

speed limit to slow them down as its a bend and could be hazed at speed, plus cars pulling out of drives etc, check,

i say you prob cause more crashs then it would stop

you dont happin to work for the goverment road planning allready do you, if you dont i bet thay give u a job no problem

got to have another go at this one, :rolleyes: the car crashed on a bend didn't it??? your idea seems a really good one!! and 2 other bends ( windy and brandish ) have been altered to make them less bendy. and the nook is having a makeover along similar lines too!. hannay's job us under severe threat from you, nobody thought anyone with less idea about traffic was available..

Your a ghoul for taking them pictures.Bet your gutted you didnt get the car in situ shots.

I fully support his (Amadeus') sentiments, a picture is worth a thousand words.

If I had no other evidence to go from, I would say that the car came into the bend carrying to much speed from the hill, developed understeer which dragged the car wide. Much like the Ballahutchin accident, 3 metres either way the car would have glanced off the wall and caused a lot less damage, unfortunately in both cases the car caught a gatepost causing massive damage.

This whole discussion is very upsetting, yet (since the very ppl who deal with road safety view these boards) i do feel that many valid points have been raised through the pages that might give the people who make the decisions some good ideas in how to stop these tragedies taking place.

Your a ghoul for taking them pictures.Bet your gutted you didnt get the car in situ shots.

i do feel that many valid points have been raised through the pages that might give the people who make the decisions some good ideas in how to stop these tragedies taking place.

the people who make the decisions that cause the tragedies are refered to as 'the driver'!! if the road was that bad we'd all be crashing there on a daily basis. it's a pity the 'clever family car' was driven? by a 'not so clever family member'.

got to have another go at this one, :rolleyes: the car crashed on a bend didn't it??? your idea seems a really good one!! and 2 other bends ( windy and brandish ) have been altered to make them less bendy. and the nook is having a makeover along similar lines too!. hannay's job us under severe threat from you, nobody thought anyone with less idea about traffic was available..

Bends at the end of long straights, which wouldn't be long straights if you put bends in em!

Archived