[BBC News] Teenager dies in wall collision

Newsbot

Google Fatal Accident Isle of Man, then google it for Bermuda which has 35mph speed limit. Try Geurnsey, 25-35 limit, I found one fatal accident. Try Jersey 35mph limit, BVI, 40mph, can't find any fatal car accidents.

We're pretty much the only small island state that has no national speed limit, and we also have a shitload of fatal car accidents. How you can't join the dots up is beyond me. Expecting people to race over the mountain then slow to 40 is a lot different from expecting people to always drive 40. The latter is far more likely to happen.

Thanks droidy. Bermuda has a 35 KPH (21mph) speed limit, 55,000 people and 8 fatalities in the last 2 months. Thanks for the proof that low speed limits DON'T work.

http://www.royalgazette.com/siftology.roya...7d84e2f30030000

• Replies 154
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Not valid unless you equate speed with the accidents. If all occasions of cars falling on people from a great height or one car with 6 passengers hitting two pedestrians, then your point is moot.

Seven bike accidents, some pushbikes, and one car overturns (which doesn't happen at 29mph) hardly unquestionable evidence?

Speed kills.

High speed was not the cause of any of the crashes. Bermuda's traffic problems are the same as over here, quite simply bad driving.

Speed kills.

I always thought it was the sudden stop. Yours is a throw away statement when you analyse the factors involved in the actual accidents - as posted on here numerous months ago by an ex-inspector - if you care to search.

Let's ban: gravity, unsafe sex, big dogs, slippy bars of soap and cake eating contests while we're at it.

Speed kills.

Let's ban: gravity, unsafe sex, big dogs, slippy bars of soap and cake eating contests while we're at it.

ladders, pies, fags, booze, aeroplanes, boats, crocodiles, brain tumours, floods, electricity, horses, fire, dog poo, rats, barbed wire, ebola.

Seven bike accidents, some pushbikes, and one car overturns (which doesn't happen at 29mph) hardly unquestionable evidence?

Speed kills.

To quote the Chambers dictionary:

speed noun 1 rate of movement or action, especially distance travelled per unit of time.

Speed cannot kill, in and of itself. Inappropriate speed may be a causal factor of a fatal RTC, but is not the "killer" - in the vast majority of cases, I would imagine that driver error is the main problem.

Speed kills.

I always thought it was the sudden stop. Yours is a throw away statement when you analyse the factors involved in the actual accidents - as posted on here numerous months ago by an ex-inspector - if you care to search.

Actually that might not be a bad idea.......

didnt someone choke to death not too long a go at one?

Speed kills.

To quote the Chambers dictionary:

speed noun 1 rate of movement or action, especially distance travelled per unit of time.

Speed cannot kill, in and of itself. Inappropriate speed may be a causal factor of a fatal RTC, but is not the "killer" - in the vast majority of cases, I would imagine that driver error is the main problem.

Speed does not kill - rapid change in speed (deceleration/acceleration) does.

If your car is declerated from 60mph to 0 mph in half a second (as a result of hitting a wall for example) you are much more likely to receive fatal injuries than if your car is decelerated from 30mph in the same period of time.

On the same basis then driver error cannnot kill. It is all just sermantics

Speed ameras in general have by now been proven beyond any reasonable doubt to have a negative effect on traffic. From the so-called yoyo effect (brake, pass camera, accelerate, brake, etc...) to people actually looking more on their speedo than on the road when they see a camera in the distance, these things are a nice way to make money but that's it.

Source? And SAYNOESTOSPEEDLIMITZ.COM doesn't count. How about these long term studies which seem to prove otherwise?

Ah, yes - good old government studies, always a favourite to quote. If they count, then my source very well counts. A good Telegraph article by Paul Smith (who sadly died a short while ago), founder of SafeSpeed :

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/motoring/main.j...t/mfspeed23.xml

He wasn't a raging speed merchant that fought for his right to bomb through the country at 150, but a commited and intelligent individual with good arguments and someone who talked a lot of sense on the subject and also did an incredible amount of research.

So you don't think learning to really control a vehicle would be of any use, no? Let's just let them all bumble along and hope some signs and cameras sort it - great stuff...

I'd far prefer people to not have a vehicle going at fatal speeds compared to someone learning how to control one at fatal speeds when things go bad, yes. Particularly if I'm in a car driving in the opposite direction.

Fatal speeds? 30 can be a fatal speed, so can 20. This is not about teaching people how to take Brandish with the tail hanging out and the tyres smoking - this is about teaching people proper vehicle control and risk management to create safer drivers under all conditions. A situation that requires correct and good reactions and control can develop at any speed and under a huge variety of circumstances.

Ah, yes - good old government studies, always a favourite to quote. If they count, then my source very well counts. A good Telegraph article by Paul Smith (who sadly died a short while ago), founder of SafeSpeed :

Um, no, there are independant studies too, which match the governmet results. There's even reviews of independant studies worldwide that have reviewed the findings of multiple studies, which came to the same conclusion, they reduce fatal accidents.

This is standard denial tactics, you're happy to take the word of one guy who sounds like he knows what he's talking about over mutliple peer reviewed scientific papers simply because it backs up your point of view.

Fatal speeds? 30 can be a fatal speed, so can 20. This is not about teaching people how to take Brandish with the tail hanging out and the tyres smoking - this is about teaching people proper vehicle control and risk management to create safer drivers under all conditions. A situation that requires correct and good reactions and control can develop at any speed and under a huge variety of circumstances.

Get some common sense eh? I know you types like to think you're genetically superior behind the wheel, but the basic physics concur that if you crash at 20 your far less likely to die than if you crash at 80.

Where else is there no national speed limit on little country roads? Why are we unique? The church of the TT, it's the only reason, and it's a bogus reason for risking lives. It's time it stopped.

Where else is there no national speed limit on little country roads? Why are we unique? The church of the TT, it's the only reason, and it's a bogus reason for risking lives. It's time it stopped.

what has the TT got to do with someone crashing in a 40 limit?? and they even had the benefit of the bales put out FOR the TT!! if people don't obey the speed limits that exist what good are even more??

Archived