White Lines

manshimajin

after years of travelling over the mountain in foggy conditions, which is very similar to night time driving in this respect, I soon learned to follow the centre line rather than the edge or hedge as you end up in very odd positions if you do that !.

( one useful thing they used to have on the mountain road markings was that on the approach to and around bends they painted small red circles, about 6" dia, between the broken white line markings as an additional warning, anyone remember them ? )

p.s.

the other thing I remember, prompted by Amadeus's post, was one time I was away in Scotland and got chucked into driving a strange vehicle (vw camper with 6v headlights !) in the dark on strange narrow roads, and I soon discovered if I saw a row of red reflectors I turned right and a row of white I turned left ! magic :P

I was driving along the Castletown Road this morning, on my way to Castletown... the BMW behind me decided he was clearly too much in a hurry and decided to overtake. ... The car in front didn't move, so the BMW drove even closer and was trying to force the other car off the lane.... and at this point was waving his hands at the car in front...The maneuver was incredibly dangerous and pointless. The BMW got no further ahead on his journey, but could easily have caused an accident...That was excessive tailgaiting.... by a total jerk no doubt!

Can't imagine why reaching Castletown 30 seconds earlier would be THAT important. There has to be a very profound reason why the driver of the BMW was in such a hurry and waving at the motorist in front - probably he was frantic to reach his destination as he had drunk far too much coffee and things were about to get nasty inside the cabin. A Malaysian friend carries a porcelain bedpan for such travelling emergencies - maybe there is a Vorsprung durch Technik option for German cars?

I recall about 20 years ago they did some research on travelling at the speed limit versus travelling as fast as possible. The route was from Germany to Italy. The result was about 20/30 minutes saved on journey time but with significant increase in braking, much higher pulse rates and much higher fuel consumption. The slower drivers arrived fresh whilst the faster ones were worn out.

Edit: You mentioned the car was black - in English heraldry, black means darkness, doubt, ignorance, and uncertainty.

Edit: You mentioned the car was black - in English heraldry, black means darkness, doubt, ignorance, and uncertainty.

He also mention X5 - in Manx Slang, X5 means tosser/cock/inflated sense of self importance/small penis. This also applies to Range Rover Sport drivers, Any mercedes benz driver, and pretty much anyone coming out of the Buchan/King Bill's carparks ;)

What a surprise, self opinionated, deluded, fool uses or supports King Billies/Buchan school. What was it about rich men and the kingdom of nodeyland?

You sound a little bitter. Prae's drill not do it for you?

Archived