Mea

Gladys

There was a report this morning on MR on evidence given in the revived inquiry and, yet, no comment.

Meself, I thought some of the submissions made were quite interesting, like the 'lights will go out over the island at 5 pm one day if we do not have a new power station' and Mr P's credentials were that he sucessfully ran a hotel chain.

All good stuff, but so far has proven nothing other than there was a bit of a panic which resulted in bad decisions when looked at with the great benefit of 20:20 hindsight.

However, there were huge sums involved, the implications of which will continue for many a year for the island, and now it appears a perfunctory exercise where boxes will be ticked, but we will not be sure that the lessons which should have been learnt have, indeed, been learnt.

To quote Oscar Wilde; 'to lose one umpty zillions is misfortune, but to lose two umpty zillions is just careless.'

NB: Will check quote, but I am sure you know where I am coming from.

The Importance of Being Ernest' or is it Earnest

The MEA and a lot of other publicly funded projects in the past, and indeed with the airport in the future, illustrate just how easy it is for a small self interested lobby to waste huge amounts of everyones money in the guise of progress. Tynwald I am afraid are like sheeps eyes, easy to pull the wool over.

A cute businessman / woman are able to run rings around the IOM and its legislature, it seems with impunity.

Who are the 'small self interested lobby' behind the runway promintory? Rock manufactuers? Barge drivers?

Empire builders - can be a good thing, provided there is oversight and an emphasis on the profit motive. Can be very problematic where there is weak oversight and government support. Hence the problems on the Island.

Archived