[BBC News] Cash controls coming into force

Newsbot

Anyone bringing more than 10,000 euros (£7,950) in cash to the Isle of Man must soon declare it.

Source : http://news.bbc.co.uk/go/rss/-/1/hi/world/...man/7397815.stm

Looks like I'll have to make sure I spend all the spare change in my pockets before getting on the seacat the next time I come back from a weekend across then. :rolleyes:

Just buy some food on the seacat.

That should clean you out pretty quickly

Anyone bringing more than 10,000 euros (£7,950) in cash to the Isle of Man must soon declare it.

Source : http://news.bbc.co.uk/go/rss/-/1/hi/world/...man/7397815.stm

Looks like I'll have to make sure I spend all the spare change in my pockets before getting on the seacat the next time I come back from a weekend across then. :rolleyes:

Just buy some food on the seacat.

That should clean you out pretty quickly

Yeah - pockets and intestines.

What a load of cock. Do they really think it will make the slightest difference?

Of course!!!

Once this legislation comes into effect the Island's massive population of international terrorists, crime bosses and drug lords will be tripping over each other to declare that they are carrying Euro 10,000 into the Island. They will no doubt have to produce two forms of identity to go with it...difficult for Osama bin Laden who likes to travel incognito.

And will they have body searches at the Airport and the Ferry? Sniffer dogs trained to smell banknotes?

This sounds like Dame Edna Everidge's 'Colour and movement' - keep whirling around waving your arms and people will think that you are doing something about terror, crime and drugs...

What a load of cock. Do they really think it will make the slightest difference?

Maybe not in the IoM but we are coming into step with Europe.

I understand bundles of notes can be detected by xray machines and if that puts off or helps catch people dealing in drugs I am all for in. Presumably before if they had large bundles of cash they little could be done about it, now it will be an offense so presumably it can be confiscated etc.

I think the law also requires retailers to report when people pay with large amounts of cash. I think it is the same threshold which may make it more difficult for the those who get cash illegally e.g. drug dealers to use it.

Its more common than you think travelling with large amounts of cash. An ex relative of mine used to travel regular to France with a case containing more than a 100K of cash.

He was a financial investor for one of the major off shore banks and took the cash to clients. Its not the chaved up burbery boys with a wad of cash they're from the latest smack deal i think they're after here, more the so called respectable type of crook.

Dodgy as fuck id say!

I understand bundles of notes can be detected by xray machines and if that puts off or helps catch people dealing in drugs I am all for in. Presumably before if they had large bundles of cash they little could be done about it, now it will be an offense so presumably it can be confiscated etc.

Do they have an X-ray machine to stop planes being taken off the island?

Agreed this only mirrors what I think is already in within Europe as part of a recent Directive on movements of cross border cash.

Agreed this only mirrors what I think is already in within Europe as part of a recent Directive on movements of cross border cash.

Is this to keep tabs on people doing dodgy deals or something like that?

I suppose if I took my family over on hols, we could take £10k each then?

Archived